Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

PDAs and Sky router

This is a discussion on PDAs and Sky router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just got SkyBB activated and so far very happy with the speeds I'm getting. However I'm having problems accessing e-mail ...

malc-c is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

PDAs and Sky router

Just got SkyBB activated and so far very happy with the speeds I'm getting. However I'm having problems accessing e-mail and the net from the PDA's we have.

I've set up the WEP connectivity, and set a key, and both PDA's can connect to the network, but won't display a page on the browser or send and receive mail.

Our home network (4 PC's and a NAS drive) all have fixed IP's and I've followed suit with the PDA's. I've also set the setting on the PDA's to use the router IP as the DNS (which worked with my old D-Link router when on NTL cable).

With the limited settings availble on the PDA's can anyone advise what I should set to allow access to the net via the PDA

Thanks

Malcolm

EDIT:

FIXED - seems a discon-recon of the connection sorted it !
      Last edited by malc-c; 05-06-08 at 09:43 PM.

2. Advertisement
      pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: PDAs and Sky router

Glad you've fixed it, but couldn't help noticing you said you're using WEP.

Is this because of a limitation on the PDAs?

If there's any way possible to use WPA instead of WEP I would do so. WEP is incredibly easy to crack and although WPA isn't 100% secure either (it can also be cracked), it's not as easy or as quick to do as WEP.

You're probably already aware of this and it's probably a limitation of the PDAs causing you to use WEP, but on the off chance it wasn't I'm pointing it out

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that,

Yes I know that WEP is the lowest of protection, but it was the "simplest" option for setting keys etc. Now I've got it working I'm hoping to up the encryption one step at a time.

Both PDA's are Fujitsu devices, one with built in wi-fi, the other uses a 802.b plug in adaptor that plugs into the SD slot. The built in device works a lot better at finding networks and allowing the user to set up the key etc. The plug-in card is a bit more complex

Must admit that the transition from NTL modem / D-link router to Sky router (sagem) has been fairly smooth without too mych head scratching, but I do wonder how someone with little or no knowledge of IP addressing, keys etc would cope with these sort of things (probably by postingn on a forum such as this I guess )

Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, now have it set on the Loox500 to use WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)

Changed the router to WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) and entered in an 8 char key. On the Loox500 (plug in card) set authentication to WPA-PSK, and TKIP as encription, and entered the same key (obviously) and now have a connection between both devices.

Re-booted the card (hence dis-conn / re-conn ) and opebed IE on the PDA - Bingo

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Much better

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!