Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sky router

This is a discussion on sky router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi all been lurking for a week [tried to sign up to forum but couldnt access sky email ,until i ...

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thumbs up sky router

hi all been lurking for a week [tried to sign up to forum but couldnt access sky email ,until i read about outlook 6] anyhoo have a couple of questions if anyone can help
      1i have no desktop icon for my sky router so cant see whats sending recieving etc is there any way to have an icon [i had a voyager 105 b4 [never used a router b4 so dont have a clue]
      2 i cant get into the sky bb page using my sky bb id however i can access sky bb with my sky .com account [set up 3 months ago ]so get to see the videos etc but dont get to access email unless i use outlook
      3 is my router always on and connected [i always unplugged my modem and had to sign in my account and password to access my old bb account ]but now when ii power up my pc my connection seems enabled
      4 and finally i used the macafee av and firewall but i took it off again as its firewall seemed to allow access to everything eg all the macfee items were automatically allowed ,windows fully allowed etc i like to know whats going out and in [use outpost by agnitum ]am i just paranoid or am i right ro distrust any program that decides what i want b4 i know what i want ?
      sorry its a long post but i hope i can get some answers and maybe join in
      ta
      Last edited by dtr44; 20-09-06 at 11:09 PM.

2. Advertisement
      stevem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSCHES
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Thanks
      Hello,

you can access the router with a browser ( eg IE / Firefox ) . The address is http://192.168.0.1 - you might want to bookmark it for easy access. The username is 'admin' , password 'sky'

Ratti3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      1. I'm guessing your connected via LAN. You could enable the status icon by going into LAN properties.

2. Your account may not be fully active yet

3. Routers are designed to be always on and connected.

4. I have always trusted the NAT firewall on a router, but it comes down to personal choice

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site dtr42
      Quote Originally Posted by dtr42 View Post
      1i have no desktop icon for my sky router so cant see whats sending recieving etc is there any way to have an icon [i had a voyager 105 b4 [never used a router b4 so dont have a clue]
      2 i cant get into the sky bb page using my sky bb id however i can access sky bb with my sky .com account [set up 3 months ago ]so get to see the videos etc but dont get to access email unless i use outlook
      3 is my router always on and connected [i always unplugged my modem and had to sign in my account and password to access my old bb account ]but now when ii power up my pc my connection seems enabled
      4 and finally i used the macafee av and firewall but i took it off again as its firewall seemed to allow access to everything eg all the macfee items were automatically allowed ,windows fully allowed etc i like to know whats going out and in [use outpost by agnitum ]am i just paranoid or am i right ro distrust any program that decides what i want b4 i know what i want ?
      sorry its a long post but i hope i can get some answers and maybe join in
      ta
      1. The Tay icon for your Local Area Connection may not be set to show the icon on the taskbar so goto >Start>Settings>Network Connections and open it, there you should see the Local Area Connection icon double click on that and choose Properties and put a tick in the box Show icon in....................

2. Thats a surprise as most people that can logging to the portal can access everything but there are problems for a lot of SkyBB users and they are unable to get on the portal at all but they should still be able to check there email with an email client.

3. As long as you leave the router on then yes it will be instant access to the net when you start the PC and some advice on the router make sure you use the feet that came with it and stand it upright it help to keep it cool.

4. If you are using some other security software that you are happy with then stick to that a lot of people have installed it and removed it just as fast.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      If you have diabled UPnP this icon or connection will not show.

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Thanks

thanks chaps

yup had a look at my network and now displays my icon [measures in packets ,not mb like my old one]
      so thanks for all your replies