Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I keep getting told to phone BT then vice versa!!!!

This is a discussion on I keep getting told to phone BT then vice versa!!!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; @Brian I already have my phone calls with Sky at 5 a month all in. As my wife calls her ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: I keep getting told to phone BT then vice versa!!!!

@Brian
      I already have my phone calls with Sky at 5 a month all in. As my wife calls her relations in Canada every other day that is a real bargain. I am already registered with the free TPS Service, unfortunately that does not stop the so called consumer survey merchants, who really only want to sell you something.

PS My apologies to the OP for posting off subject comments.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

is everthing connected to the phone line filtered? including anything coming from extensions?

check all hardware is filtered correctly, and replace them with any spares you may have.

try unplugging any extensions as they may be badly set up.

tobys550 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_Spawn View Post
      is everthing connected to the phone line filtered? including anything coming from extensions?

check all hardware is filtered correctly, and replace them with any spares you may have.

try unplugging any extensions as they may be badly set up.

My setup is simple......

Master socket with a filtered faceplate, phone cable in one side, adsl cable in other. Thats it. Nothing else connected.

I phoned a number I found on the web and a lady from sky answered within like 5 seconds. I said I need to speak to customer relations. she said one moment. 30 seconds later I was put forward to another lady in the UK. I explained the situations and the problems I was having. She was very sympathetic, she put me on hold for about 2 mins while she tried to arrange tier 3 to call me back. She said they would phone me at 6.30 this evening....which was in an hours time. Amazing. Also she said she would credit my account with 10 for the trouble im having. Believe it or not one hour later tier 3 called. Again another most plesant lady rang and I spoke to her for 30mins or so. We tried a few tests as such, she said she hadn't really seen a problem like this before! Here system was saying that I was connected when my router was certainly not lol. She could see my connection was all over the place. She placed a fault with BT which should hopefully get back to them tommorow. She couldn't have been more helpful. Fingers crossed hey.

On a lighter front, it may just be me, but I feel that having a lady on the end of the phone help makes the whole process so much easier and less stressful, they seem to genuinely care and understand your point. I have nothing against the call centers in india.....apart from an indian gentleman I spoke to earlier called....Albert I just couldn't understand him for toffee!!!!!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

out of interest - did you try you test socket without the faceplate and see if it still occurred?...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      out of interest - did you try you test socket without the faceplate and see if it still occurred?...
      I believe I have tried every combination possible???

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

thats fine, you just hadn't mentioned it before...so many people think that cause they have a filtered faceplate nothing can go wrong...hopefully it'll be sorted soon
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

naza911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stechford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tobys550 View Post
      Hi guys. Maybe someone here can shed some light on my situation. To cut a long story short....everytime my phone is used it cuts off my broadband which cant be used for the duration of the call. The noise margin goes haywire and when it does resync after the call it connects at some ridiculous speed i.e 168kbps or something. Only after a few reboots and maybe a day or so if the phone is'nt used the speed picks up. I have replaced everything. Tried new filters, cables, 3 different routers, master socket, isolating electrics in house, wireless,different telephones...to no avail. Ive exhausted all avenues I can think of.

I have line rental, broadband and phone packages with sky. so far this afternoon I keep getting passed to and fro from sky to BT. Sky tell me to phone BT, BT tell me to phone Sky!!!!!!!
      I got so fed up I phoned consumer direct who told me to write a letter to there head office quoting a consumer law. I dont really want to go down this avenue just yet.

Who should I be phoning, I need a definative answer. Cheers guys.
      Well first thing is there is nothing actually wrong with your filters/equipment. It sounds like moisture has managed to get into some part of the line to your house. Just to make sure its not your internal wiring plug your phone in the test socket behind the master socket faceplate and listen for the crackling and popping. I had exactly the same problem as you, However when I would plug into the test socket the noise would only be present for a few sec's and go leading me to believe the problem was within the house. So just try it a few times if the line seems clear at the test socket at different times, say for instance when it is actually raining.

If it is a fault for on the local loop then BT need to Fix it. BUT because you pay line rental to Sky they are now responsible for the voice service and the line repair. Although BT will carry out the repairs, you can't ask BT to do it , Sky have to.
      If your speaking to an Indian at Sky just be insistant that they problem is Sky's. Make it clear that they provide you with the voice service and you pay line rental to them and that they have to have this fault repaired, mention you have the voice problem at the test socket. I would not go to broadband faults but voice service faults with this problem, as it is the crackling and popping on the line that is the problem. The noise itself is cause by water in joints, or just a bad wire somewhere.
      You may well have to repeat the fact that Sky have to fix it a good few times before they understand. You should not be ringing BT as BT have no responsibility to provide you with a voice service or a working phone line, that is now sky's responsibility and BT have responsibility to Sky to provide Sky with working phone lines.

Hopes this clears things up a little for you.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naza911 View Post
      Well first thing is there is nothing actually wrong with your filters/equipment. It sounds like moisture has managed to get into some part of the line to your house. Just to make sure its not your internal wiring plug your phone in the test socket behind the master socket faceplate and listen for the crackling and popping. I had exactly the same problem as you, However when I would plug into the test socket the noise would only be present for a few sec's and go leading me to believe the problem was within the house. So just try it a few times if the line seems clear at the test socket at different times, say for instance when it is actually raining.

If it is a fault for on the local loop then BT need to Fix it. BUT because you pay line rental to Sky they are now responsible for the voice service and the line repair. Although BT will carry out the repairs, you can't ask BT to do it , Sky have to.
      If your speaking to an Indian at Sky just be insistant that they problem is Sky's. Make it clear that they provide you with the voice service and you pay line rental to them and that they have to have this fault repaired, mention you have the voice problem at the test socket. I would not go to broadband faults but voice service faults with this problem, as it is the crackling and popping on the line that is the problem. The noise itself is cause by water in joints, or just a bad wire somewhere.
      You may well have to repeat the fact that Sky have to fix it a good few times before they understand. You should not be ringing BT as BT have no responsibility to provide you with a voice service or a working phone line, that is now sky's responsibility and BT have responsibility to Sky to provide Sky with working phone lines.

Hopes this clears things up a little for you.

That made a great deal of sense to me, thanks for that. I am expecting a call back from sky regarding BT either today or tommorow. I have still a good case becuase every time the phone is used(dialing out or incomming calls) my broadband trips out and wont reconnect during the use of the phone. I have just spent 13.50 on an Adslnation xte-2005 faceplate aswell to rule out wether the four filters I tried were all faulty!!! still the problem persists. Ill keep updating when I hear more. thanks guys.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well A BT guy is comming to my house eventually! He will be here tommorow. I shall be interested to see what the problem is an why my Bband is disconnecting when I pick up the phone. Keep you guys posted.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Hopefully you will get a helpful guy like our Brian and not some numpty that couldn't care less.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12