Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How much usage is 40GB

This is a discussion on How much usage is 40GB within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, I have just switched to Sky BB , after being with Virgin. There was no problem with Virgin BB ...

Jackdusty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: fareham 01329
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How much usage is 40GB

Hello,

I have just switched to Sky BB, after being with Virgin. There was no problem with Virgin BB but the overall package with Sky, Tv Phone BB, is better priced. I hope I do not live to regret the change!
      I am pleased so far with BB, a few drop outs and the speed is not the promsed 4-8!!! I am only getting just under 2!!
      Any ideas how I can increase the speed, I do live approx 2.5 km from the exchange though!

The main question is how much usage will I get with my 40 GB? We have 3 comp on the go at one time but is not very heavy demand of the internet all the time. The thing I do worry about is that my son playing his Xbox 360 online alot. Does this mean we will be using alot of our 40Gb on this.
      Anybody know the answer or how will I be able to check?

Sorry to go on and thanks for you help

John

PS great site

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: How much usage is 40GB

stats first to diagnose speed issues...

as for what is 40GB - if you think that a normal film DVD rip (to avi) is 700MB then you could get over 40 films a month...not sure how gaming applies but i'm sure someone here will fill in the gaps...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

seaninfrared is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gorseinon, South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Xbox Live hardly uses any amount. I used to be on F2S, and I used to use P2P and download things alot, and I used to be a hardcore gamer too(still am, but exams ) and my monthly usage would only be 25Gb max, not to mention my brother using the net too and he downloads alot, and my parents who just love news streams. Hope that answered your question. And also, Sky will never just cut you off if you go over the limit, you could probably go 10Gb+ over the limit and they still won't say anything.

EDIT: Post detailed stats of your router and I'm sure someone will show you the right direction to maybe getting higher speeds.

Ok pings. (24/05/08)

Jackdusty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: fareham 01329
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Here are my stats for my router:
      Router Statistics

System Up Time: 16:54:37
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 26938 34269 0 0 0 1:36:16
      LAN 39519 29157 0 0 0 16:54:37
      WLAN 54695 47574 0 0 0 16:54:15
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3328 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 58.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.9 db 14.0 db
      Poll Interval: (secs)

Hope they mean something to someone! LOL

John

PS Thanks for help so far!

seaninfrared is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gorseinon, South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

About the same attenuation as me. Have you tried the test socket behind your BT faceplate? Leave it in for a while, and surf the web, check sync, speedtest, etc. Try it, might lower attenuation, because you say you're about 2.4km from the exchage, so actual line length being longer, I'm about 3.5km from exchange, and even longer line length, and I get 57 attenuation. My advice, try test socket, and use it for a while, then get some detailed router stats (Someone on the forum can propbably help you retrieve them) and see what the experts in here say.

Good luck!

Ok pings. (24/05/08)

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Detailed stats cannot be retrieved from the New Routers unfortunately.

Try plugging your router into the master socket and boot it up during anywhere between the hours of 04:00 - 18:00 , and you should be getting the best speeds.

40GB is enough TBH, there has been no indication of Sky actually enforcing this rule.

On a side note i have a line ATT of 57, approx 3.44KM (BT data), and i've been able to connect at 4.5 'ish meg.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As advised above, try the Master or preferably the Test socket, behind the master face plate. When the faceplate is off, check that none of your extensions has a dial tone. This will give you an indication of the best connection speed you can expect.

Even with your existing connection speed you should get a better download speed. Unless you are using Vista, use the link below to go to TCPOptimiser, download and run it. Use 8000 as your start figure. When you have done that go to the DrTCP link and run a Tweaktest to double check that your settings are correct. Vista does a good job of tuning the settings and manual tuning seldom makes any improvement.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.