Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Worth getting max package?

This is a discussion on Worth getting max package? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm on the base package at the minute but use the internet to the extent where I'm sure I'll go ...

mikewozere is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Worth getting max package?

I'm on the base package at the minute but use the internet to the extent where I'm sure I'll go over the 2gb allowance.

I was on the Max package but was getting somewhere around 128k connection. I downgraded to the base package just as they finally got round to sending me a new router (after over a year of trying to sort it out). The new router has improved my speed but I'm now on the base package so can't really see if the problem has been wholly fixed.

I phoned recently to enquire about whether it would be worth getting the max package and was ASSURED that I would be able to get between 8 and 16 MB. My line attenuation is currently 61db, however, and I realise that with this it would be difficult to get 8 MB, let alone 16 MB. I've also been promised and assured various things by Sky before only to be let down so I'm skeptical as to whether they're simply lying to me again.

So I'm wondering if it would be worth upgrading and whether I will indeed get a higher speed. My current downspeed is around 1400kb/s on the base package. Would this improve or will it remain at around that regardless of my package?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Worth getting max package?

Hello and welcome to SkyUser

According to our checker, the best you could physically hope for is:

ADSL2+ Speed Test
      We estimate your line is capable of between 3mb to 4mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service.

SkyUser - ADSL2 Line Speed Checker - upto 24mb

Of course that is not guaranteed, but I would assume you will definitely get a better DL speed than Base and of course the increased UL as well as the bigger allowance. Of which Sky really do not seem bothered if you go past it or not.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As I suspected! Seems I have been lied to once more by sky technical support.

I think I'll upgrade solely for the usage allowance. I'm only about 2kilometers from the exchange but the route the line takes to get there must be seriously affecting me.

Oh well, thanks for your speedy reply!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

think you'll find that was sales who told you that, NOT tech support as they don't have the initial checkers but running your number through any online checker would've told you the same...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Apologies Prince Valiant, I think you'll find I rang technical support. "Hello, this is Technical Support" gave it away a bit. I did run it through a checker but I wanted to double check it on here before I wasted more money.

When is the trial for CRIMES AGAINST THE INTERNET going to occur?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You may be better opting for the Mid package, it gives you 40Gb at half the price of Max. I am sure it is easier to upgrade than downgrade, so if you find you need much more than 40Gb, unlimited is only a phone call away.

Edit: I think the person you spoke to will claim that you would get up to 8 or 16 Mb. Which is very different from what you were told. A complaint is in order I think.
      Last edited by Isitme; 03-06-08 at 10:19 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You might be right. I heard they're not overly concerned about going over the download limit but I imagine it'd be quite hard to exceed 40gig in a month when it's only really me using the internet.

Thank you for your replies. Except "IAmNotTheEnemy" whose username is obviously a lie.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

whatever mate - IF it was technical that said that then they'll be flagged up on it...don't see why they were trying to make you get Max as they don't run on commision...anyone who could see your attenuation would've known you wouldn't get near 8Mbps if you're not now...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

What part of my tale of woe says that technical support tried to sell me Sky's max package?

You should probably take it up with them, IAmNotTheEnemy. Their number is 08442 41 14 11.

Glad I could help.

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikewozere View Post
      ..... is obviously a lie.
      Hmmm, a lot of people seem to "lie" to you

Code:
      Lie <definition>
      1. A false statement deliberately presented as being true; a falsehood.
      2. Something meant to deceive or give a wrong impression.
      TBH any of these call center types will be quoting you either standard scripts or reading from the ADSL checkers available to them the data of which is rooted in BT Openreach (for LLU) and BT Wholesale (for Connect). I don't think any of them thought "<snigger> Lets lie to the next caller who comes along....".

That said, all ISPs and now Mobile Network Operators [with their Mobile Broadband offerings] claim network speeds of "up to", that being the key part of the proposition. There is much heated debate on the forums, in the media and at OFCOM itself about the public's perception and expectation being set by "up to <n> speed". It seems there is a mass blindness where the "up to" is not percieved, and instead the "up to" speed is taken as the guaranteed or to be expected speed. Nothing could be further than the reality, all ADSL technology can only ever be offered in an "up to" proposition, there are simply no guarantees - none given, none implied and very certainly none of it a "lie" in any definition of the word.

As with pretty much all things technology Caveat Emptor prevails.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast