Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Broadband IP problem..

This is a discussion on Broadband IP problem.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My ip keeps changing without having to reset my router or disconnect from my adsl connection, doing so it disconnects ...

VsUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01709
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 50mb
      Router: Virgin Superhub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Broadband IP problem..

My ip keeps changing without having to reset my router or disconnect from my adsl connection, doing so it disconnects all services accessing the internet & i have to re connect.

Is there a way to stop this from sky? as i use remote dt allot & i have lost access every day random times because the ip just changes during use & everything gets disconnected & rd software i use needs to manually connect. not to mention playing Online gaming causes the game to disconnect & it really is annoying me now. If i cant fix this or stop it from changing ip without turning off my router n on again to re connect n aquire a new ip, i will have to look elce where for my broadband because its preventing me from working.

any idea's?

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Broadband IP problem..

Quote Originally Posted by VsUK View Post
      i will have to look elce where for my broadband because its preventing me from working.
      Hopefully someone can help with your IP problem,
      but just to check you are aware Sky BB is for home use only, if you did need to phone sky you may not get any help if you state that you need it for work and you may even be cut off

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

best way is prob gonna be to use a dynamic dns service and connect using that...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      Hopefully someone can help with your IP problem,
      but just to check you are aware Sky BB is for home use only, if you did need to phone sky you may not get any help if you state that you need it for work and you may even be cut off
      It is for home use, I web design & have RD setup on my main pc, but i connect when im out & about from laptop to take files if & when i need so not to fill up my laptop hd & if it fails, i dont lose my files. Thats what i meant as work.

But i online game, irc chat & run home pc server for gaming with friends & when the IP changes randomly, i get cut off & my connection then re connects. My modem always stays connected, but my wireless would need refreshing to get the new ip which cuts my net off. This is what makes everything i do useless as its only a matter of time b4 i get cut off.

So far over passed week, ive had it happen 5 times & got 5 new ip's.. So setting up some stuff also is impossible if the ip constantly changes without me doing so by disconnecting my router n re connecting myself.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      best way is prob gonna be to use a dynamic dns service and connect using that...
      im not sure what you mean?

Thanks

regarding running a server, don't let Sky know as this isn't really deemed as 'normal' home use...

as for dyndns, it basically mean you connect to an url which is kept up to date by client software with your IP address, so rather than connecting to 90.x.x.x you connect to me.dyndns.org for example...

however, checking set up wiring is the first port of call...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      regarding running a server, don't let Sky know as this isn't really deemed as 'normal' home use...

as for dyndns, it basically mean you connect to an url which is kept up to date by client software with your IP address, so rather than connecting to 90.x.x.x you connect to me.dyndns.org for example...

however, checking set up wiring is the first port of call...
      are there any sites with instructions on how to do this?

as for wire's n so forth, all is fine, nothing has changed & has been working fine. Its only started about 2 months ago & getting worse each week. My router never disconnects, so i shouldnt be given a new ip after releasing my old one via disconnection. So why im pushed with a new one i dont know & it wrong.

Thanks

itd dropping sync with the exchange, possibly without you noticing...do you run through your master socket?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

My router never disconnects, so i shouldnt be given a new ip after releasing my old one via disconnection.
      I think you will find that it does. Have a look at the router log, you will probably see a lot of entries something like
      - LCP is down
      - Initialize LCP.
      - LCP is allowed to come up.
      - CHAP authentication success

As was mentioned above, check your wiring by taking the stats from your normal position, then from your Test socket, which is behind the Master socket faceplate and compare them.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Mon, 2008-06-02 16:46:38 - LCP down.
      Mon, 2008-06-02 16:46:45 - Initialize LCP.
      Mon, 2008-06-02 16:46:45 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Mon, 2008-06-02 16:47:03 - CHAP authentication success

i got lots of that in my logs.. as for what u said to check, i presume its behind the face plate on my telephone socket & plugging my lead into the socket behind the plate right? is so, ill have to check it tomo & fill you in.

If it stops btw directly into master socket, would that mean faulty box? also if it dosnt stop, what then? I dont wanna be calling bt n then been passed to sky & back n forth all day long passing the buck so to speak..

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have an NTE5socket, the type with a horizontal joint across the face, remove the 2 screws and ease the front off. You will find the front plate plugs in to the Test socket. While the front is off, check that all your extensions are 'dead'.

If your problems disappear when you do this, it means that your internal wiring is at fault. Usually the easiest way to fix this is to fit an ADSL Nation faceplate, which isolates your internal wiring from the ADSL signal. As a temporary measure you could remove the ring wire from Terminal 3 on the faceplate. This provides the ring circuit to your phones and is not required when you use filters. Remember everything you have plugged into the phone line must pass through a filter. This includes the Sky digibox.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast