Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Router - Slower Speeds

This is a discussion on New Router - Slower Speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I received a new router (a black sagem one - previously had the white netgear) from Sky a couple of ...

KieranG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Warrington
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New Router - Slower Speeds

I received a new router (a black sagem one - previously had the white netgear) from Sky a couple of days ago as my old one was playing up, but I am syncing at a MUCH much slower speed with this router - never more than 3mb; previously it was syncing up to 11mb... (I'm on Max)

DownStream Connection Speed 3159
      UpStream Connection Speed 294

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3159 kbps 294 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.5 db 49.8 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 10.5 db

Honestly have no idea why this is happening - does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the same speed as my old router?

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: New Router - Slower Speeds

Are you sure you weren't capped as part of the troubleshooting prior to getting the new router?

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Are you sure you used to sync 11 ? with your attenuation i'm not sure its possible

just checked with th e3rd link in my sig and your max should be around 6.5

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yep, I could download at 9+ mb really early in the morning and at night... usually was around 6-7 like you said... But now it wont go over 3...

I don't see why they would have capped my line - I told her that the power supply on the router was broke hence why I needed a new one...

Thanks

i've just looked back at some of your earlier posts and your attenuation seems to have gone from 37db to 51db, if you use an extention socket i would suggest a comparison from the "test" socket (see first link in my sig) and post back the stats

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, yes, I am using an extension socket but I always have been - there have been no changes since I got my new router. My test socket (master) is downstairs so it would be quite a pain to hook everything up down there, but if it is crucial I guess I can do - I just don't see why there would be a difference now (as everything was fine with this setup with my old router). I'm thinking about emailing Sky tech support - what should I ask them to do? Do some checks on my line?

Thanks!

Thanks

They will ask you to try the test socket anyway (thats the first line support and CSt will also) so it may be best to have a check first and post the stats back here.

there are a few things that may have happened with your internal wiring, power surges and cut outs do have an effect on extentions, it could well be a problem outside of your control (between your house and the exchange) but no one would know until a test from your test socket is done

(i once used a plug in extention for my router, after a power surge which knocked out my router, a new router arrived and would not sync, it was down to the extention which i know was lower quality than fixed extentions but could be the same problem)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok, thanks Richone - I will try the text socket tomorrow when I have some free time and post back.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks like something has happened to your external line. Such a large rise in attenuation from 37 to 51, is not likely to be caused by internal wiring. Your check from the Test socket will confirm it, but I doubt if there will be much more than 1 or 2dbs, if any difference.

There is a good chance that a bad fault has developed on your line or exchange, which could have been the reason your other router 'played up'. If this is the case, all you can do is ask Sky to get BT to check your line.

It may also be worthwhile doing a 'quiet line test' on your voice phone. If you want to try this, plug a corded phone direct into your Test socket and dial 17070, option 2. Your line should be clear with no hisses,pops or clicks. If there is noise, phone BT, or whoever you pay the rental to and report that you have noise on your line. Don't mention broadband or there is a good chance nothing will be done.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It looks like something has happened to your external line. Such a large rise in attenuation from 37 to 51, is not likely to be caused by internal wiring. Your check from the Test socket will confirm it, but I doubt if there will be much more than 1 or 2dbs, if any difference.

There is a good chance that a bad fault has developed on your line or exchange, which could have been the reason your other router 'played up'. If this is the case, all you can do is ask Sky to get BT to check your line.

It may also be worthwhile doing a 'quiet line test' on your voice phone. If you want to try this, plug a corded phone direct into your Test socket and dial 17070, option 2. Your line should be clear with no hisses,pops or clicks. If there is noise, phone BT, or whoever you pay the rental to and report that you have noise on your line. Don't mention broadband or there is a good chance nothing will be done.
      Thanks a lot for your suggestion! I have emailed Sky and quoted a few things you said as well as shown them my stats from a few months ago, and then my stats from today. Hopefully they'll check it out.