Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless keeps dropping intermittently

This is a discussion on Wireless keeps dropping intermittently within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have Sky broadband at home (the mid one 8Mb) and have no problems. I have the white Netgear router. ...

slayer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: blackfriar
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless keeps dropping intermittently

I have Sky broadband at home (the mid one 8Mb) and have no problems. I have the white Netgear router.

My parents also have Sky broadband but its the cheapest package (2Mb). However when on wireless (I assume its OK with wired) the wireless drops now and then. Sometimes its limited connectivity, sometimes it just drops it completely.

Its only for a few seconds and when I refresh the page (in the browser) it will most of the time be OK.

Any ideas?? I have not updated any firmware any anything like that. I will try rebooting it see if that helps.

2. Advertisement
      pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless keeps dropping intermittently

The Sky modified Netgear routers appear to have a problem with the wireless connectivity that can cause this problem. I've been having it for a while now, see my signature for details on how long, and still don't have a solution from Sky.

The only way I got around it was to connect a wireless access point to the router and disable the wireless network on the Sky modified router.

Sky appear to alter their hardware in some way, so I'm not sure if the problem is something to do with that, but I've not had problems with other Netgear hardware, only that provided by Sky.

So far I've had 2 Netgear routers from them, both had this problem. One was the old type, one was the new one.

I thought I was the only person with this problem, but it appears others on here are now experiencing it.

It may also be that there's interference at your address. Download Vistumbler, check if any other networks are in the area with the same or similar channel (post them all on here if not sure) and also make sure your router isn't near any other hardware that uses radio signals during it's operation.
      Last edited by pebbleheed; 30-05-08 at 02:37 PM.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think the original poster has range and/or interference issues which might be solved by raising the router above furniture level and changing channels -- especially if neighbouring wifi can be detected. Also relocate cordless phone base, video sender etc away from computer or router.

It's interesting that some people believe that the Sky Netgear DG834GT is somehow inferior to the DG834GT on offer from Netgear retailers.

My own experience is that the Sky router's wireless matches that of an earlier retail Netgear model and in my case works reliably despite having to penetrate at least three walls and being located one floor down around 60 feet away from the wireless adapter.

It seems likely that if there were significant hardware differences between the Sky marked models and the retails ones, the firmware would not be interchangeable -- and it is.

The original Sky firmware had problems and the newer, while better, still has features missing -- but I don't think the wireless is affected.
      Last edited by fihart; 30-05-08 at 07:45 PM.

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

the higher you can get router the better and also check channel number my new netgear dropped frequently on channel 1 but rarely drops after changing to channel 11 think i was getting interference from neighbours on either side wireless networks

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      It's interesting that some people believe that the Sky Netgear DG834GT is somehow inferior to the DG834GT on offer from Netgear retailers.
      I suspect you are referring to me.

If so, yes, I do suspect the Sky provided Netgear router is slightly different to that provided by Netgear themselves and other retailers.

My own experience is that the Sky router's wireless matches that of an earlier retail Netgear model and in my case works reliably despite having to penetrate at least three walls and being located one floor down around 60 feet away from the wireless adapter.

It seems likely that if there were significant hardware differences between the Sky marked models and the retails ones, the firmware would not be interchangeable -- and it is.
      I think you've misunderstood me, if you are referring to me, I am not suggesting the hardware is different. However the firmware is different and it appears that Sky may also have their own custom routines running on their routers compared to non-Sky routers. This is where I suspect the difference is between Sky and non-Sky Netgear routers and this is where I suspect the wireless problem comes from that some of us are experiencing.

The original Sky firmware had problems and the newer, while better, still has features missing -- but I don't think the wireless is affected.
      It seems very unusual that the 2 Netgear routers provided to me by Sky, one old type and one new type, both have problems with the wireless network becoming unavailable for a few hours each day while the rest of the router works perfectly fine. It's also noticable that while they are having this problem, if you connect via the ethernet cable to the router that the functions of the router and menu navigation are slowed right down, almost like it's struggling with something. If I then plug in my non-Sky router (not connected to the internet and only to test the wireless) it works without issue as it did when I used it before I had Sky. And further to that, the Linksys wireless access point I have plugged in to the router also works perfectly without any issues.

So at present it looks to me like the Sky modified Netgear routers may have an issue due to their customisation because other wireless hardware in my house doesn't exhibit this behaviour, including other Netgear hardware.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Dear Pebbleheed,

You've obviously analysed the issue more carefully than I've had an opportunity to. I guess the best test would be how a Sky supplied DG834GT would compare wireless-wise after reflashing with Netgear's retail firmware.

Be interesting to hear from those who have reflashed.

You may well be proved right about Sky's firmware -- after all the first version was pretty poor.

I 'm reminded of similar suggestions about mobile phones supplied customised by the networks. An engineer at one of the manufacturers is quoted as saying that they had spent months developing the firmware on their phones only to have the networks try to customise it in a matter of days -- with predictable effects on performance and reliability.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Dear Pebbleheed,

You've obviously analysed the issue more carefully than I've had an opportunity to. I guess the best test would be how a Sky supplied DG834GT would compare wireless-wise after reflashing with Netgear's retail firmware.

Be interesting to hear from those who have reflashed.
      I could do that, but I would be breaking the T&Cs so will avoid it for now.

The closest I've got to this is by using a non-Sky Netgear router of the same model to the white router originally supplied. This was using genuine Netgear firmware and didn't have any wireless network issues at all.

You may well be proved right about Sky's firmware -- after all the first version was pretty poor.
      It's the only logical reason I can think of for now. Other Netgear routers don't have this issue when they are used with original Netgear firmware and the other hardware in my house doesn't suffer any problems using the same network settings. On top of that, this has affected 2 seperate Sky modified routers, one new style and one old. It just seems to point in that direction and I suspect that if Sky weren't modifying the routers that this problem wouldn't occur.

I 'm reminded of similar suggestions about mobile phones supplied customised by the networks. An engineer at one of the manufacturers is quoted as saying that they had spent months developing the firmware on their phones only to have the networks try to customise it in a matter of days -- with predictable effects on performance and reliability.
      Yes, I agree. I avoid mobiles provided by networks that modify the software on them. Luckily the network I use, o2, tends to leave phones as they were originally designed, they don't even sim lock them normally. However a mate of mine is on Vodafone and we've noticed in the past when he's had the same handset to me that service provider modified software just isn't up to the same quality as the original manufacturer's intended software.

It's just a suspicion at present, but I'd say the evidence is stacking towards the Sky modified firmware being the cause of the problem of the intermittent wireless connectivity.