Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky broadband issues worksop, reconnected now but at lower speeds

This is a discussion on Sky broadband issues worksop, reconnected now but at lower speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been a happy Sky broadband user for around a year now. However on Tuesday I got some intermittent ...

barnseyboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01909
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky broadband issues worksop, reconnected now but at lower speeds

I have been a happy Sky broadband user for around a year now. However on Tuesday I got some intermittent connection drop-outs, followed by a full day on Wednesday being unable to connect. I went through level 1 support with Sky, and replaced the filters but to no avail.

On Wednesday evening I replaced the router and it started working immediately (I was previously using a non standard netgear which i already had, and replaced it with the original Sky netgear v1 router).

Since it reconnected on Wednesday evening I have been experiencing about half my previous speed (I was getting pretty consistently 4500kbps) my connection stats are now as follows. (But imediately after re-establishing my connection it was down at 2300kbps

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2752 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 62.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.8 db 14.0 db

One wierd thing that i have noticed since it coming back, is that I have still had the odd dropout, and when it reconnected, i get wierd figures in my statistics.. e.g.

Connection Speed 864 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 20.4 db 13.0 db

After rebooting the router it went back up again to ..

Connection Speed 2880 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 11.6 db 13.0 db

-

I guess the questions im asking any fellow Sky users out there is ...

* Has anyone else experienced this in my geographical area
      * Do people think im going through a process of 'adjustment' again where the speed will creep back up to the original speed.
      * Is it really likely that the old router 'stopped connecting to the internet' (local lan traffic still worked)
      * Has anyone got opinion about those wildly varying noise margin figures.

Thanks in advance

bb

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky broadband issues worksop, reconnected now but at lower speeds

are those stats from the test socket (behind the faceplate of the master socket) ?

if not, could you do some comparison stats from the test socket

this will rule out internal wiring as the problem

tobys550 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Your having similar problems to me..... I had been synced at 2048kbps for around 5 days....came home this afternoon and router war synced at 956kbps, so i rebooted and then got 345kbps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after a few more reboots its currently at 1024kbps. It will increase in speed over the next few days im sure again......but what causes it heavens knows, its imensly frustrating.

Nudge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Worksop
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Don't know if this is related but I live in Worksop and although not on LLU or Sky for broadband (but am for line rental) my router started posting silly speeds a couple of weeks ago.

My attenuation is similar to yours at 57 and I would regularly connect at over 2000kbps but recently it only connects at 576kbps.

I'm still on the BT profiling system and my IP profile has now dropped to 500kbps.

I have contacted my ISP who don't seem too bothered about my concerns so I've asked for my MAC and am about to jump ship to either Sky or O2

So I don't know if there's any connection with our problems or if it's just coincidence.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

with regards to the test socket : i saw the nice faq on the link you sent me, only problem is i live in an old house, and my bt line looks rather antiquated. i appear to have a junction box looking thing close to the entrance of the house. which makes its way to the lounge, where theres a brand new looking 'diy shop style' phone extension on it.

should you 'always' get a test socket?

also the thing that *****es me off, is that nothing, no diy work or anything similar has taken place near those cables. so for the cause of the problem to be at my end just seems wierd!

for the record my connection dropped again at some point this evening and my current stats are...

Connection Speed 1824 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 58.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 12.0 db 13.0 db

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

newer lines should always have one - old lines (like yours) usually don't so chances are the line might be showing it's age...without a test socket internal wiring can't be ruled out so some investment now might sort things out...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Sky TV:
      Thanks

A Happy Ending

Just because I know how much people like happy endings.. I came back to post my resolution.

I realised 3 days into the problem, that my BT phoneline was actually dead for incoming/outgoing calls. Somehow the adsl was living on, but in this crippled state with low speeds and lots of timeouts.

After logging a support call with BT, they rang me back and after reminding me about the call-out fee, it spurred me on to double check the wiring from the entry to the house.

It was then that i noticed, that at the master socket (mine is an old blank one with an old style BT logo) someone who had done an old Sky install before had stuck an extra connection into the master socket, i followed this line around the front of the house, where it just ended in a cut wire, exposed to the elements. (I could see it was from an old sky install, as the old sky cable followed the same path).

After unscrewing the master socket, blowing out the spiders, and removing this 'extra' line, everything was fixed. I guess this exposed wires must have been creating a problem. (It did coincide with a lot of rain on Tuesday??)

So the good news is, not only is my connection back, and BT phone line working, when it reconnected I know get 5888 kbps, instead of my previous 4000kbps!

Thanks everyone for the tips, and I guess the moral of my tale is to double check your internal wiring!

Connection Speed 5888 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47.0 db 28.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.5 db 13.0 db

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Great to hear its sorted, and thanks for the update.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If I had a pound for every BB problem that turned out to be wiring I would now be able to afford a gallon of petrol.
      Always have a look at your wiring. Pleased it is all better now