Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky CD really slowed my PC!

This is a discussion on Sky CD really slowed my PC! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I remember when i got sky BB bk in december that a friend of mine (from sky) told me never ...

003kirans is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky CD really slowed my PC!

I remember when i got sky BB bk in december that a friend of mine (from sky) told me never to install that CD, well i had alot of probs with my connection and sky sent me a new modem which seems to have solved things but my anti-virus had expired a month bk so i decided to use the anti-virus software yesterday and uninstalled my norton but now my PC is super slow to start up!?!?!? Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky CD really slowed my PC!

Yup, uninstall crapafee and get yourself a free one such as avg or avast.

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

2 points to remember for future,

1 - Never install ISP branded CDs, regardless of the ISP.

2 - Never use McAfee, EVER!

When I used to work in IT the majority of our customers (comercial customers such as large councils and international companies, not home users) that had issues on their systems with AV products used McAfee. Over time we managed to get them moved from it and the problems vanished. Ever since that day I've advised everyone I know never to use the damn thing, that and Norton are both worth steering well clear of.

If you want the best anti virus available for PCs that takes up less resources than the above (so your PC will run faster) then take a look at NOD32. It's without a doubt the best one available and I've never met anyone that's moved to it that's regretted it.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Go HERE and follow the link for your product to download and run the Cleanup Tool. Norton often leaves bits behind which conflict with later installations which can slow the system to a crawl.

If you want a free AV then you could do worse than AVG8Free. Unless you are using FAT 32, with which it has some problems, it is one of the best around.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Remember, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for. Often the free AV protection doesn't always match up to some commercial products. You'll get better cover from NOD32 with it's proven track record of being one of, if not the, best AV product for PCs. It's still under 30 too, so it's not expensive either

malc-c is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'll add my 2p worth here, as I too use Nod32

Its good at catching things, reasonably priced, and doesn't slow the system down.

We use Sophos at work, which is Ok, but does hog resorses on a PC when updating, and on occasion has caused problems when doing a background scan, but not as much as Norton or McAfee. The thing that concerns me is that having been bought out by a new group recently, they use McAfee and I'm hoping that they don't insist in imposing their group policy on us !

phproxy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Player
      Thanks

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malc-c View Post
      I'll add my 2p worth here, as I too use Nod32

Its good at catching things, reasonably priced, and doesn't slow the system down.

We use Sophos at work, which is Ok, but does hog resorses on a PC when updating, and on occasion has caused problems when doing a background scan, but not as much as Norton or McAfee. The thing that concerns me is that having been bought out by a new group recently, they use McAfee and I'm hoping that they don't insist in imposing their group policy on us !
      Glad to see I'm not the only one in the know

Unfortunately people assume that McAfee or Norton are the best because they are bundled with new hardware, given out by ISPs and sold in big stands at places like PCWorld and often advised by their 'experts'. However nothing could be further from the truth and a few minutes reading sites such as the Virus Bulletin would quickly show you that NOD32 is certainly the best you can get as far as PC AV goes.

If NOD32 started being bundled with hardware, given out by ISPs and similar as with the other two products then I suspect many other software titles would vanish due to complete lack of business as there'd be no need to swap.

TxH
      TxH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Walworth, London
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Another vote for NOD32 here, use it on our machines at work (use Avast! at home, mostly cos I'm cheap)

malc-c is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TxH View Post
      Another vote for NOD32 here, use it on our machines at work (use Avast! at home, mostly cos I'm cheap)
      The Eset website is offering a two year subscription for just 33, which is excellent value for money.

I've just spent a day repairing a stantalone PC (thankfully off the main works network) that developed a serious infection. We had installed Sophos on it, but then found that it prevented a dongle from being updated, so (against my better judgement) it was agreed to install AVG 8 on the machine as it was free and it allowed the dongle to be updated. In a search for a particular service manual the user acidently visited one of the wrong type of web sites (if you follow my drift) and by the time he closed the browser the damage was done.

On scanning his PC we found 167 malware / trojons / and loads of keyscanner cookies !

I installed NOD32 and a couple of malware cleaners I keep for just these occasions and after some manual hacking in the registry to stop the re-infections the machine is now clean.

We've now installed Sophos until the order for Nod32 is signed off !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast