Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky CD really slowed my PC!

This is a discussion on Sky CD really slowed my PC! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Good move. Officially NOD32 picks up more than all other anti virus software, including all mentioned on this page. That ...

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky CD really slowed my PC!

Good move.

Officially NOD32 picks up more than all other anti virus software, including all mentioned on this page. That alone makes it worth looking at.

(also, take a look at the AVG licence, I don't think it's free for commercial use, but that doesn't matter now as you appear to have moved away from it)

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Without a doubt, NOD32 is probably the best AV you can buy, but I have been using AVG (free) for about 8 years and not once has a virus got past it. Version 8 is even better in that it includes a link checker which warns you when a dangerous site comes up on a Search. If the warning is ignored, it will still flag and warn against opening any infected file. Anyone who ignores these warnings is an idiot and should not be allowed near a PC especially a corporate one. The fact that AVG8Free comes recommended by PC Pro is good enough for me.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm not knocking AVG, but I think that many people who run it happily thinking their machine is 100% clean may find that uninstalling it and running NOD32 might actually find a couple of malicious items that they've been blissfully living with unaware.

If people want a freebie then there's no problem with AVG and I'd personally choose AVG over Norton and McAfee without a doubt, but if people want the absolute best protection available and are happy to spend around 30 then I'd recommend (and do) NOD32 every time.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pebbleheed View Post
      I'm not knocking AVG, but I think that many people who run it happily thinking their machine is 100% clean may find that uninstalling it and running NOD32 might actually find a couple of malicious items that they've been blissfully living with unaware.

Being an AVG user I thought I'd try this with the trial of NOD32. I'm happy to report that NOD reported 0 threats detected, so AVG must be doing a good job. And me being a tight get will be reverting to AVG in 30 days

inside_man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02890
      Broadband ISP: BT bb
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

mcafee really slows down ur computer DO NOT INSTALL!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12