Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky broadband support reply (laugh)

This is a discussion on Sky broadband support reply (laugh) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've had several weeks of intermittent, drop outs, slow speeds from my Sky broadband connection, I was only getting 200kbps ...

Ezergeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky broadband support reply (laugh)

I've had several weeks of intermittent, drop outs, slow speeds from my Sky broadband connection, I was only getting 200kbps for week.

So after the fifth email, they decided to send a BT Engineer round to check my line, he firstly removed an unused extension from the main box and cleaned up the incoming cable, this doubled my then connection speed from around 730kbps to just under 1500kbps for several hours. The Engineer said the speed should settle over the next few days, two weeks later and I'm back to just over 700kbps again at the moment. 'Geez'.

Whilst at my house the BT Engineer spoke to someone at the control centre on speaker phone and heard the guy mentioning he thought the line had been 'throttled' in some way when I was down to 200kbps, so as you can imagine I'm really jarred off now, so for a laugh, I'm posting the last "support" email I got back from Sky.

Comments please!

"Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.
      When you check the Broadband speed on your Broadband box this is what your connected to, the online speed tests will always advise you that your speed is slow in the chance you buy their product to help your connection speed. if your Broadband box is saying your download speed is 1.8mb then this is what your running at. This would then point to something slowing your system down I.E. and unused programme on your system, to many temporary files on your system. please follow the details below to help speed your connection up.
      I trust this helps however should yo u continue to experience technical difficulties, please reply to this email or call us on 08442 41 05 15 . Lines are open 24 hours a day.

Kind regards
      Paul
      Sky Broadband Technical Support
      Sky"

I love the bit about "unused programmes", Pfff, this is a joke, as you can imagine I'm seriously considering moving ISP.

Geezer.

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky broadband support reply (laugh)

well, ignoring the poor grammar, they are right.

If your router is showing a sync speed of 1.8mb, but speed tests show a lot less, then there is something in YOUR set up that is degrading the speed.

This could be other programmes that are hogging resources (ie P2P programmes like IPlayer etc), it could be using a wireless connnection, it could be incorrect TCP/IP settings on the PC etc etc.

There's not enough info in your email to really comment.

try posting your router stats and also a speedtest from a web site (quoting which site youve used and how you connect to the router).

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Yep post your stats, if what BT has done has actually improved your line you may find you can get the cap (if any is in place) lifted a bit to increase your speed but without stats and info we cannot see what is going on. If you had a line issue that BT found and have done something about then that would probably be the main reason behind the poor speeds.

Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

except for exchange congestion. this can cause lower-than-synced speeds.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ezergeezer View Post
      The Engineer said the speed should settle over the next few days, two weeks later and I'm back to just over 700kbps again at the moment. 'Geez'.

Whilst at my house the BT Engineer spoke to someone at the control centre on speaker phone and heard the guy mentioning he thought the line had been 'throttled' in some way when I was down to 200kbps
      This is exactly right, when there are line faults on the Connect service, the BT DLM (Dynamic Line Management) kicks in and will reduce your speed and make other changes to your line. Part of this is to reduce your throughput profile (the throttling the engineer talked of). This is not something that Sky can in anyway control. All we can do is have you change your setup and wait for the dynamic process to up the throughput speed over the next few days.

What you have received in the email is only correct for Base/Mid/Max customers, there the sync speed IS the speed you should get.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies guy's, here's a screen from the router

Not using anything like this! "ie P2P programmes like IPlayer etc",
      Router connected directly to main socket with filter, no extensions
      as you can see back to 960kbps, whenever I reboot goes up to 1856kbps
      for a while then drops back.

Noticed a while back, in the middle of email's going back and forth, my router was given a
      firmware upgrade V1.03.87 is this the latest?

Thinkbroadband speed test results;

thinkbroadband :: Broadband Speed Test Results

Thanks again guys.
      Last edited by Ezergeezer; 28-05-08 at 01:49 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Go to the BTSpeedTester and run a test. I could be your profile is stuck. You will need to enter your phone number then your Sky ADSL username. This is the LAN MAC address of your router, with no colons, followed by @skydsl. Note that this tester is always busy so it may take a few attempts to get it. Post your result.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

it all depends how long this has been going on for as after a line fault fix it can take up to 72hrs to go back to normal speed...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Here is the BT tester result

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      IP profile for your line is - 750 kbps
      DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 992 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 562 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Also here's another test result too!

Geezer
      Last edited by Ezergeezer; 29-05-08 at 02:18 AM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Phone Sky and ask to be put through to CST. Hope that you get one that understands the difference between Connect and LLU and explain the results of the BT test. Tell him/her that you believe your line needs to be reset as the Profile is too low and it is not resetting automatically as it should do. BT may have to set your line to retrain, which unfortunately takes 10 days. During these 10 days you must power cycle your router everyday to allow it to re-sync with the exchange. If you did not do this when your connection was first made, it may have contributed to your problems.

If major repairs were made to your line, it is entirely possible that you line is in fact retraining at the moment. If it is, power cycling your router should show an increase in sync speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast