Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Disconnection From Router

This is a discussion on Disconnection From Router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; First Post and ive tried searching for my problem but i thought it might be quicker to just post. Recently ...

Ryan_Gray is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Disconnection From Router

First Post and ive tried searching for my problem but i thought it might be quicker to just post.

Recently joined Sky BB Max, my speeds are fine but every 20 minutes or so i get cut off from the router.

When i disable and then re-enable the wireless dongle thingy it connects back up fine but then disconnects after 20 minutes,

its also happening with my xbox 360 only the disconnects there are less frequent, but still happen.

I Have the sagem router - does anyone have an answer?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

re: Disconnection From Router

May need to change your channel on the router. When you fire the wireless up on the PC do you see any other networks in your area?

Ryan_Gray is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Disconnection From Router

Yeah there are 2 other networks in my area, both are secure though that i cant connect to as i dont have the p/word.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Whether secure or not the fact that they are there means they may be impacting your wireless signal. Best bet is to get into your router settings page and change channel to 11 or 13 and see what happens.

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Try downloading Netsumbler or Vistumbler (second one works better for me personally), disconnect for your wireless network and run that software. It will list all the wireless networks that are within range from your location and will also provide information such as what channel they are broadcasting on. From that you can work out what channel to use to avoid interference.

Remember that with 2.4ghz wireless signals (as used with the Netgear routers provided by Sky and many other wireless hardware) there are only 3 non-overlapping frequencies. These are 1, 6 and 11. The rest of the available channels all overlap each other slightly, so if you have a neighbour on 11 and one on 6 then your best channel choice would be 1 to reduce the chance of interference.

Also check to see if you have any other wireless kit nearby. Some other kit, not just wireless networking kit, can interfere with a wireless network. If you have your router bang next to a device using a similar frequency you'll get interference in the same way.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!