Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Boosting Network Performance with Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Boosting Network Performance with Sky Broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I use solwise 200mb AV, very expensive but very worth it and sooooooooooooooo much better than wireless "I know that ...

blondejon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exeter Castle Street
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Boosting Network Performance with Sky Broadband

I use solwise 200mb AV, very expensive but very worth it and sooooooooooooooo much better than wireless

"I know that Netgear and Belkin also do similar products" yeah there was a recall on some of the netgear models after they blew up...

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g3az66 View Post
      Mike

I use Solwise. Two for about 40 on Fleabay plus p+p.... Never failed me yet and you can easily buy more to extend your network. They are the 85MBPS Turbo ones which are more than ample for your purposes.
      I also use three Solwise ones, one on the xbox, one on PC and one at thr router by the master socket. Superb, just plugged in and away it went. Improved the xbox and downloading no end.

Xbox was very hit and miss before with wireless even though the router was in the room above (albeit through a wall and ceiling) now perfect, never had a problem. I've even got the one at the PC end connected into a four way extension. Also bought off e-bay for about 75.00 for the three.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Out of interest how secure are these homeplugs? I mean if they transmit the signal via the mains wiring whats to stop your neighbour buying a set and hacking into your network? Not that they would of course.

g3az66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Milton Lee
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

They do come with a disc so that you can set up encryption... However, what are the chances!!!! Far far less than wireless!!

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g3az66 View Post
      They do come with a disc so that you can set up encryption... However, what are the chances!!!! Far far less than wireless!!

You haven't meet my neighbours! lol Only joking.

petebridge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have just bought some homeplugs and they are great when wired via a LAN to my laptop (which was in a deadspot) but I cannot get the wireless to work (I have 1 standard homeplug and 1 wireless one).

Issue is that, although I get great broadband speed when connected via the LAN to the wireless plug, I cannot get the Sky Netgear wireless signal to come out of the wireless plug. Think it might have something to do with the encryption (the plug has very confusing wireless encryption setting featuring a choice between TKIP and AES for my WPA-PSK code, and I have no idea which to choose!)

Any ideas or experience of how to extend the Sky Netgear signal via a wireless homeplug?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I may be wrong but I don't think the wireless plug has anything to do with the router wireless. It is just converting a LAN connection from the router into a wireless signal. Any encryption you employ must be set up between the plug and your PC. What you use will depend on what is supported by your adapter. Unless you are using it for another machine, it may be better to turn off the wireless access in the router, it may cause conflicts. Try connecting first with the encryption turned off, if you are successful, then you can work in the security.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12