Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking of switching...

This is a discussion on Thinking of switching... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm with BT at the minute and since October I've sworn to myself that I won't switch to Sky... but ...

twocrazymonkies is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whiteabbey
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thinking of switching...

I'm with BT at the minute and since October I've sworn to myself that I won't switch to Sky... but I'm starting to come round to the thought of it. I'm just wondering how easy, with complete honesty, the switch is regarding getting a BT MAC code and actually not being stuck with nothing for a few weeks?

I was casually asking a salesman today if there was availability on my local exchange because the last time I checked in work it was saying there was only 1 port available... he started pushing his spiel at me: "Sky use ADSL+2 so it'll be much faster than you have with BT". I laughed and said "No they don't, they use ADSL2+ if you're sitting on top of the exchange, but it'll be g.dmt for anything that won't go over 8 meg". He just said "Sky have told me they use ADSL+2". I didn't want to tell him I worked for CST and I get too many conflicting opinions from the people around me - I've even heard people about 20 metres away from my own house saying they're gettin 2Mbps and I was sure that the maximum I'd be able to get was 512kbps.

So... I have 1 more question: is there any way to find out what the attenuation is if it's sitting at 63.0db?

I'm just looking for opinions, personally I don't think it'll be over 512kbps.

Statistics Downstream Upstream
      Line Rate 576 Kbps 288 Kbps
      Noise Margin 15.7 dB 17.0 dB
      Line Attenuation 63.0 dB 31.5 dB
      Output Power 15.6 dBm 11.9 dBm

(Yes, I do know that it's 576kbps, but it's just the BT line rate and if it needed to be configured lower on Sky's LLU admin tool it would actually 512kbps).
      "Is your router definately plugged into the master telephone socket, sir?"
      "YES! SO WHY CAN'T I DO MY WIRELESS?"
      "How far away from the router are you?"
      "I'M IN SPAIN"
      True story.

2. Advertisement
      Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Thinking of switching...

Given a resonably noise free line you should be able to connect at something between 2 to 3 mb

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

im a bit confused as the OP appears to work for CST (Tier 3) so I'm wondering why they dont know the answer themselves? Have i missed something here?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yea, I do work for CST, but my 1 of the questions is just about switching providers, I've never had any experience with that, so that would make me sceptical. The second was a question about whether there's any way to find out a literal attenuation so that I can work out what my chances are... it's showing as 63.0dB, so it could be anything above that. I've check the estimated maximum available in work, it's 512kbps, so I'm just wondering if there's any way to find out the literal attenuation. I'm not thick, don't worry!
      "I'M IN SPAIN"
      True story.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

^^^ me too, and isnt the answer the nm ?
      edit - I left bt to come to sky 18 months ago - they gave me a mac there and then on the phone.

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you're thinking of switching to Sky consider this first,

Does your current BT setup disconnect each day at 10pm?

Does your current router's wireless networking stop working every night and you have to connect via ethernet until the next morning? (and the same happen if they send a replacement router)

Does your current provider let you use your own router to avoid any problems and have a decent setup?

If you've answered no to the first two and yes to the third then my advice is don't swap to Sky. I moved from Virgin Media's fibre optics and the grass certainly isn't greener
      Last edited by pebbleheed; 19-05-08 at 05:17 AM.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      edit - I left bt to come to sky 18 months ago - they gave me a mac there and then on the phone.
      Same here, I was quite surprised that they gave me the code there and then.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

got MAC off BT on the phone - gave it to Sky - got router a week before activation - currently running 2.5Mbps more than i was with BT - not a hitch...

go for it
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

I had no problems moving from BT, I phoned for MAC and was given it there and then (was offered BT Vision for free, but this was in no way a hard sell), router turned up about 3 days later, activation on time and apart from a router fault (a faulty socket, this is not Sky's or anybody else's fault these things happen) it's been rock solid ever since.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pebbleheed View Post
      If you're thinking of switching to Sky consider this first,

Does your current BT setup disconnect each day at 10pm?

Does your current router's wireless networking stop working every night and you have to connect via ethernet until the next morning? (and the same happen if they send a replacement router)

Does your current provider let you use your own router to avoid any problems and have a decent setup?
      I wouldn't have any worries about connection problems and any wireless issues, and if it did get nasty I'd just get the router password. If anything did go wrong I think the experience of calling to go all the way through Tier 1 in the Phillipines would give me a good laugh. "Have you done changing all your microfiltrings? Thank you for patiently waiting, Have a wonderful day!"

The phase 1 netgears have always seemed to be quite cheap looking, but it wouldn't take very long to get a sagem and a phase 2 netgear by making a few "the test light just stays on my router no matter how many times I reset it" calls... (Not really in case I get fired somehow).
      "I'M IN SPAIN"
      True story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast