Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thinking of switching...

This is a discussion on Thinking of switching... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by twocrazymonkies I wouldn't have any worries about connection problems and any wireless issues, and if it did ...

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Thinking of switching...

Quote Originally Posted by twocrazymonkies View Post
      I wouldn't have any worries about connection problems and any wireless issues, and if it did get nasty I'd just get the router password. If anything did go wrong I think the experience of calling to go all the way through Tier 1 in the Phillipines would give me a good laugh. "Have you done changing all your microfiltrings? Thank you for patiently waiting, Have a wonderful day!"
      We have a different sense of humour then, it's incredibly frustrating when you're trying to do your online banking and the net fails yet again only to be told "we can't put you though to the top tier support because it's not what we do, are you sure the PC is turned on? Have you made sure you're using the computer and not the microwave to get on to the internet? Does your house have electricity?" (obviously this isn't their exact words, but it's about as much use)

Quote Originally Posted by twocrazymonkies View Post
      The phase 1 netgears have always seemed to be quite cheap looking, but it wouldn't take very long to get a sagem and a phase 2 netgear by making a few "the test light just stays on my router no matter how many times I reset it" calls... (Not really in case I get fired somehow).
      I've used Netgear products in the past without any issues on other ISPs. It only seems to be the ones supplied by Sky that have these problems. I can only come to 2 conclusions, either

1 - Sky's own firmware causes some problems with the hardware

or

2 - Sky purchase B grade stock and refurbs and send them out to customers and on some units the problems still exist

Not sure which it is, but it would make sense with the number of errors I'm seeing with Netgear products supplied by Sky when normally they are extremely reliable bits of kit and haven't let me down in the past. Even the person on the other end of the phone the other day said to me that the problem I was experiencing was a known issue with Netgear routers and that they'd send me a Sagem for my 3rd router replacement. That's fair enough and I appreciate his honesty, but in my experience of non-Sky Netgear kit this isn't normally the case. So what do Sky do to them that turns them in to this sort of problem???

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

2. Advertisement
      astra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYELL
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I doubt very much you will be able to receive any thing over 1mb out of interest how far away from the exchange are you,
      and on a brighter note you will be able to cap your line yourself

twocrazymonkies is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whiteabbey
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I don't think my sense of humour is at fault... I'm just young and untainted by the ways of the world, my advice to pebbleheed would be to relax and answer the questions truthfully and quickly, you'll notice how quickly the script runs dry and you get a result..
      . Or just lie about the state of your internet light... if it's on: say it's off and vice-versa, you'll get through to CST in no time, but good luck explaining that one.

I'd set my line to fastpath and request healthchecks to be performed every week, I'd have it shining in no time . Or maybe I'd prefer not to lose my job and have to rely on student loans for the next 2 years!
      "Is your router definately plugged into the master telephone socket, sir?"
      "YES! SO WHY CAN'T I DO MY WIRELESS?"
      "How far away from the router are you?"
      "I'M IN SPAIN"
      True story.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

@pebbleheed
      Suggestions were made in THIS THREAD to improve your connection. Have you tried any of them? Over 90% of problems are caused by the users own wiring. If you don't make some attempt to check it, you are wasting your time complaining to Sky. There are many like you, who came on the forum slagging off Sky, only to find that the fault had nothing to do with Sky and have vastly improved their connection with a little simple DIY.

I personally have had excellent service from Sky and would recommend them to anyone.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      @pebbleheed
      Suggestions were made in THIS THREAD to improve your connection. Have you tried any of them? Over 90% of problems are caused by the users own wiring. If you don't make some attempt to check it, you are wasting your time complaining to Sky. There are many like you, who came on the forum slagging off Sky, only to find that the fault had nothing to do with Sky and have vastly improved their connection with a little simple DIY.

I personally have had excellent service from Sky and would recommend them to anyone.
      And this one Anyone else get major outage yesterday? !! I dont think he has tried anything, perhaps he would be better to go back to Virgin Media would save us wasting our time trying to help him.

I've been with Sky two years this Sept no problems here either.

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right, further to my last few posts (and the 2 fanboys that appear to be jumping on the 'how dare you have a problem with Sky' bandwaggon above) there have been some advances.

First of all, the problem was and still is Sky or at the provider / external side, not my wiring or anything to do with my setup.

The internet connectivity was a problem at the exchange. Sky arranged for someone to check this out, then they contacted me saying it was fixed. Now the connectivity issues don't occur any longer.

The wireless network is still Sky. It still drops every night, regardless of which of the 2 Netgear routers I use provided by Sky. I have a Sagem router on the way from them to try out and am hoping that will cure the problem, but in the mean time I've put together my own solution that will keep me going until it arrives. I have plugged a Linksys wireless access point in to one of the ethernet ports on the rear of the Sky router, disabled the wireless network on the Sky router and set up the wireless AP to do the work that both Sky routers seem unable to do. The result is that I have a wirless network 24/7 that doesn't go down. It doesn't look too good and it's annoying having yet another electrical device plugged in, but while this problem is being worked on by Sky I'll keep using this homemade fix to be able to use the internet for now.

So yes, the problem was and still is with Sky. One down, one to go..........

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12