Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Just requested a new modem...

This is a discussion on Just requested a new modem... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ^ agree - i just tried my wireless to see if it works. the house is networked so i stick ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Just requested a new modem...

^ agree - i just tried my wireless to see if it works. the house is networked so i stick to ethernet
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      moleman is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

pebbleheed,
      As you have wireless connection problems with 2 different netgear routers, but not with your Linksys, have tried setting the netgears to use the same channel as the linksys in case its interferance?

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pebbleheed View Post
      I don't see the benefit for a new router unless you actually need one. In my case I'd be happy to stick with the original router if it constantly worked, but unfortunately it doesn't. I think it would be very unusual to just call Sky to get a new router just because I wanted one, what benefit would it give someone?Who on this thread is wanting a replacement router for the hell of it???
      I never said that anyone on the thread was doing that, more of a heads up. It is getting a little more difficult to replace one.

There are a few people out there that would like a shiny new one, compared to the white one. Personaly I do not care which one I have Or any one else has, they serve a purpose and thats all that matters. You get signal at the end of it be it wireless connection or ethernet connection to the internet.

Just a quick heads up pebblehead, maybe worth changing the channel number to a fixed one rather than auto when you get the sagem.
      Last edited by googleme; 26-05-08 at 09:09 PM.

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
      pebbleheed,
      As you have wireless connection problems with 2 different netgear routers, but not with your Linksys, have tried setting the netgears to use the same channel as the linksys in case its interferance?
      I have the exact same settings on the Linksys that I had on the Netgear.

When running the wireless network from the Linksys the wireless network option on the Netgear router is disabled.

So if a problem were to affect the Netgear then it would affect the Linksys, but it doesn't.

This still looks like a Netgear issue, although it's only affecting the 2 Netgears from Sky, not the one I had on my cable connection.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

petebridge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can I ask exactly how to configure using the DG934G as a simple modem and then use the Linksys WRT54 as the wireless router? I have problems with my Sonos system and have been advised that this is what i should do. I have bought the Linksys and need to connect it all up now.

You seem to know how it works! Thanks

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petebridge View Post
      Can I ask exactly how to configure using the DG934G as a simple modem and then use the Linksys WRT54 as the wireless router?
      The major difference here is the Linksys kit you are using compared to my setup.

I have a Linksys Wireless Access Point (WAP), you appear to have a Linksys wireless router. While it's still possible to set up a similar system with your hardware, you'd be better off with a WAP over a router as it's more straight forward. (or if you are happy to break the Sky T&Cs you could extract your username and password from the Sky router and use your Linksys kit instead of it, completely replacing the Sky router).

The first thing you need to do is go in to the admin screen on the Sky router and disable the wireless network. This is a case of unchecking the broadcast wireless network option in the wireless settings page.

The next step is plugging your Linksys hardware in to the back of the router so it's connected to the router. You then need to go in to the Linksys settings and turn off all the router functions, including DHCP as this will be handled by the Sky router. Basically you need to set the Linksys hardware to turn off all features except WAP features. Once that's done you should set the Linksys hardware to a static IP (seems to work better then negotiating a dynamic IP when acting as WAP) and setup your wireless network on the Linksys hardware. Unfortunately I can't give you specific instructions on doing that as I don't have the Linksys hardware in front of me that you have.

It's basically a case of stripping down the Linksys features to reduce it to a WAP (which is why having a WAP in the first place is more straight forward, but Linksys menus are friendly and easy, so it shouldn't be too hard).

Once you've done the above anything connecting to your Linksys hardware via the new wireless network should then be assigned an IP address via the Sky router's DHCP server. If it doesn't, take a look at the Linksys settings and make sure it's just acting as a WAP and not trying to do any of the network work itself.

I have problems with my Sonos system and have been advised that this is what i should do.
      What problems are you having exactly?

And who told you this is what you should do? Sky's hardware should work as advertised, as in provide a wireless network. The only reason I have it as I have is because it's a home made fix due to the supplied Sky hardware not working properly.

I have bought the Linksys and need to connect it all up now.

You seem to know how it works! Thanks
      It should be straight forward now, but if you have problems post them on here and if I can help I will. Like I said I don't have your Linksys router in front of me, so it's not as easy as giving out direct instructions, but it shouldn't be too hard to over come the problems

petebridge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for this. I see your point about router vs WAP - will think on that.

The Sonos issue (not sure how familiar you are with it) is that I keep losing connectivity to my ZonePlayers from the base box. My music is stored on a NAS and then accessed via the router/base box around the house. The Sonos support line and I spent 2 hours on the phone together yesterday testing everything and the most likely problem was that the Sky router was causing interference or more likely not finding/releasing enough DHCP space so was not assigning IP addresses to the Zone Players, hence they were being lost. Apparently using the Sky router as a modem and then using the Linksys as a router should release more DHCP access (but as I said, i am no expert). Compared to the cost of the Sonos system (which isn't working properly and is frustrating me no end!), a Linksys router is cheap . . .

The other side effect is that the wireless coverage off the Sky router is rubbish and so I'm hoping the Linksys will give better coverage

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

To be honest, I can't see how adding a wireless access point will free up any more DHCP space / range. This is set in your settings on the Netgear hardware, you can specify the range to use for the DHCP and you should also be able to specify the lease time too for that IP address.

You may be better off assigning static IPs to your hardware if you are having DHCP issues, I often find this a much better way of managing a wireless network at home anyway and you can still leave DHCP running to handle any extras or visiting hardware that turns up from time to time.

As for the wireless coverage, consider using Vistumbler to see what networks you have passing through your house. Make a note of all the channels used and see if there's any interference issues. If someone's on the same channel as you or a close one then you're going to get interference as with any radio signal.

Wireless channels overlap, so the only 3 unique channels are 1, 6 and 11. All the other available channels overlap each other slightly. So if you can see other kit on 1 and 11, choose 6. If there's kit on all 3 of those channels you'll need to experiment a little to find the least interfered channel variant for you. You could also consider getting a better ariel than the one supplied with the router and look at the positioning of the router too.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh yeah, back on to the new router subject of this thread, my 3rd router offered by Sky still hasn't turned up yet and appears to have gone missing in the post

Looks like I'm stuck with my homemade fix for the time being...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234