Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Just requested a new modem...

This is a discussion on Just requested a new modem... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by googleme Just a little bit of brain power should go into it before people think "I want ...

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Just requested a new modem...

Quote Originally Posted by googleme View Post
      Just a little bit of brain power should go into it before people think "I want a new router, lets phone up sky".
      I don't see the benefit for a new router unless you actually need one. In my case I'd be happy to stick with the original router if it constantly worked, but unfortunately it doesn't. I think it would be very unusual to just call Sky to get a new router just because I wanted one, what benefit would it give someone?
      Quote Originally Posted by googleme View Post
      Yes I was very cruel at times going through so much before replacing a router, as it is basically the companies profit being lost, and this reflects down of broadband side as it is a router, therefore profit is getting lost at the broadband end because people want a repalcement. As profit is getting lost at the broadband end, the broadband team will not have the rise they should get as profit is lower than what it should be.

Yes sky make a massive profit, but the centre that is getting effected is the broadband therefore the broadband people should be effected.

So think of this when you want a replacement for the hell of it.
      Who on this thread is wanting a replacement router for the hell of it???

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pebbleheed View Post
      I didn't ask for the replacement router, it was offered to me.

I didn't ask for my last replacement router either, that was also offered to me.

When I called this time to speak about the 2nd Netgear router causing exactly the same problems as the 1st I was asked if I'd mind holding for a moment while the support staff spoke to his friend. He came back on and said there was a known issue with Netgear routers causing this problem and said he'd send a Sagem router. Again, Sky offered me this, I didn't request it.

I can also prove the router is faulty as when the wireless connection fails it fails on both laptops, a PS3, a Wii and a media device. This happens daily. However when I connect my Linksys wireless access point to the router and turn off the wireless on the router my wireless network stays up without any issue at all. This to me suggests the fault is with the Netgear router.
      so use the Sky router as a modem and the linksys as an access point??...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      so use the Sky router as a modem and the linksys as an access point??...
      I've already stated elsewhere that this is exactly what I am doing and currently it's working. However it shows that the router supplied by Sky isn't working as it should, so I'm clearly not just after a router for the hell of it, I would like them to provide me with something that works as it should (or allow me to use my own choice of router).

Using the router and WAP works well and is my own fix in the absence of a solution from Sky, but it ties up an extra power socket and just clutters the area where the router was before. I look forward to being able to replace the setup with just one unit again once Sky supply me with router number 3 (that they've offered to send out without me requesting it, again) as long as router number 3 works. If not I'll be speaking to them re using my own router and seeing if they'll let me do that to get around their technical issues.

I just hope that googleme doesn't actually work for Sky. If that's the attitude of Sky staff instead of a willingness to help customers then it's a concern, especially when it's aired so openly on a public forum.

Thanks

have you thought that its a hardware clash between your PC and the router. i'm not saying it is seeing as you also have consoles involved but seeing as others (myself included) have no issues regarding the routers ability either wired or wireless would seem that either you're doing something wrong OR it has deveolped a fault - although having 2 routers both failing does seem like a coincidence...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

have you thought that its a hardware clash between your PC and the router. i'm not saying it is seeing as you also have consoles involved
      Exactly. It's very unlikely that 2 laptops, a PS3, a Wii and a wireless media device would all develop the problem at the same time as each other and then a few hours later resolve themselves all at the same time. That says to me that it's a problem with the router rather than the extremely unlikely chance that all the other hardware from different suppliers is developing a fault at the same time and fixing at the same time later.
      but seeing as others (myself included) have no issues regarding the routers ability either wired or wireless
      The connectivity works via the ethernet port at all times, so wired isn't a problem. Only the wireless on the router fails. Also looking at the forum I'd certainly not say there are others with problems, there are others with connectivity issues on here too. They may not be identicle, but they certainly aren't problem free.
      would seem that either you're doing something wrong
      It's possible I'm making a mistake every now and then, but before my current job I spent 7 years in IT. I'm not claiming to be a know all, but I am a little more knowledgeable than your average home user. I've set up several commercial wireless networks without any issues at all on a much larger scale than the home setup I have now and haven't had problems like this before. Further to that, the wireless router I had from my Virgin Media connection never had this fault with this equipment.
      OR it has deveolped a fault - although having 2 routers both failing does seem like a coincidence...
      That's what I thought, however when I spoke to the Sky technical team the person on the end of the phone did say, after speaking to his mate while I was on hold, that there was a known issue with Sky's Netgear routers (both old and new) and that they'd send me a Sagem router to rule this out. So I guess it's possible, especially as Sky have said that to me.

Thanks

well I have a Phase 2 Netgear and wired AND wireless work with my laptop, my sisters laptop and an XBox 360 - so I doubt it's the router so I'd say it's faulty...

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well I have a Phase 2 Netgear and wired AND wireless work with my laptop, my sisters laptop and an XBox 360 - so I doubt it's the router so I'd say it's faulty...
      I think it's a faulty router, which is what I said in the first place and it appears to be what Sky think too, hence them offering to send out a 3rd router without me requesting it.

I think you were agreeing with me there, but your last sentence seemed a bit contradictory

Thanks

i am, but as to whether you get a Sagem is a matter of which agent you spoke to...it's not easy to specify which gets sent out unless the depo is contacted directly...fingers crossed though!! the chances of getting 2 duff routers is remote to say the least!!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well the last person I spoke to said they'd send out a Sagem, so I hope they do. It has taken a week so far and nothing's arrived. The last one too 2 days, so hopefully it's not lost in the post.

We'll see what happens when it gets here.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I have to admit that I do not like wireless connection at all.
      There is oftern a basic contradiction between the best position for the router for wireless (high up away from other kit) and the best position for ADSL connection (close to the master and prob low down).
      I would go down the Wireless access point/router from a car boot route, should I ever want wireless but I would explore every alternative first.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast