Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Just requested a new modem...

This is a discussion on Just requested a new modem... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm starting to wonder if Sky have a deal with Netgear to get old B rated kit and returns from ...

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Just requested a new modem...

I'm starting to wonder if Sky have a deal with Netgear to get old B rated kit and returns from them and sell them on to Sky customers or something. The number of faults with their routers seems quite high and they seem to have a rather large number of seconds to send out to people when they need another.
      Last edited by pebbleheed; 19-05-08 at 05:17 AM.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

I have a Phase 2 Netgear and has been rock solid - not a single issue...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

twocrazymonkies is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whiteabbey
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'd quite like a phase 2 netgear or a sagem... they all have little problems, but they can be sorted out easily enough.

I didn't know anything about the letters being sent out asking people to send routers back, that's just asking for trouble really = one of the final tests before a fault is logged to BT is to plug in a spare router to see if it will sync, without this people just think it's a broken router and send a new 1 out, so no faults would ever be logged. Awk well....
      "Is your router definately plugged into the master telephone socket, sir?"
      "YES! SO WHY CAN'T I DO MY WIRELESS?"
      "How far away from the router are you?"
      "I'M IN SPAIN"
      True story.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

but the amount of money Sky are wasting giving out routers when they're not needed is the reason why they'll eventually ask for them back...almost 99% of the time the router is not at fault...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm about to receive router number 3 from Sky. It's in the post now and I've got the other 2 here still. I swap between them when problems start to see if it resolves anything, but it doesn't.

So far not once have I been asked for one back, but if I am they can send a courier for it at a time that suits me.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The whole repalcement is a big pain. Most of the time there is no probs with the router originally. Just people trying to get a replacement.

Lets just hope none of those get through to me, as I am going through TS as normal, yet monitoring the connection for a while after, if the connection comes up, then I send a text to say the connection is up and running. Obviously checking if it is that cusotmer connecting. Wasting my time for a new router.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pebbleheed View Post
      I'm about to receive router number 3 from Sky. It's in the post now and I've got the other 2 here still. I swap between them when problems start to see if it resolves anything, but it doesn't.

So far not once have I been asked for one back, but if I am they can send a courier for it at a time that suits me.
      They don't send a courier, they send a padded envelope that is addressed for return. You just hand it over at the post office.
      By the way asking for a router replacement when there is nothing wrong with the original one or when you think the other router would be nicer is something that we try to pick up on, I refused a replacement last night unless the customer can prove the unit faulty, sometimes its not the router but the enviromental conditions causing the issue.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Just a little bit of brain power should go into it before people think "I want a new router, lets phone up sky". Yes I was very cruel at times going through so much before replacing a router, as it is basically the companies profit being lost, and this reflects down of broadband side as it is a router, therefore profit is getting lost at the broadband end because people want a repalcement. As profit is getting lost at the broadband end, the broadband team will not have the rise they should get as profit is lower than what it should be.

Yes sky make a massive profit, but the centre that is getting effected is the broadband therefore the broadband people should be effected.

So think of this when you want a replacement for the hell of it.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I ended up with a second router which I did not need, so returned it to the Freepost address.
      Three weeks ago, received a nice letter from Sky asking for the router back, so I returned the letter, with a copy of proof of posting, explaning that the router had been returned in Feb.
      This morning, received a parcel from Sky. You've guessed it, a brand new Sagem router.
      I'll keep this one and see what happens

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      They don't send a courier, they send a padded envelope that is addressed for return. You just hand it over at the post office.
      By the way asking for a router replacement when there is nothing wrong with the original one or when you think the other router would be nicer is something that we try to pick up on, I refused a replacement last night unless the customer can prove the unit faulty, sometimes its not the router but the enviromental conditions causing the issue.
      I didn't ask for the replacement router, it was offered to me.

I didn't ask for my last replacement router either, that was also offered to me.

When I called this time to speak about the 2nd Netgear router causing exactly the same problems as the 1st I was asked if I'd mind holding for a moment while the support staff spoke to his friend. He came back on and said there was a known issue with Netgear routers causing this problem and said he'd send a Sagem router. Again, Sky offered me this, I didn't request it.

I can also prove the router is faulty as when the wireless connection fails it fails on both laptops, a PS3, a Wii and a media device. This happens daily. However when I connect my Linksys wireless access point to the router and turn off the wireless on the router my wireless network stays up without any issue at all. This to me suggests the fault is with the Netgear router.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast