Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

problems after installing sp3

This is a discussion on problems after installing sp3 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; new to this forum so firstly, hi to all. hope someone can assist with this problem please. have only had ...

denisc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01255
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

problems after installing sp3

new to this forum so firstly, hi to all.
      hope someone can assist with this problem please.
      have only had sky BB for a couple of weeks and had no problems until windows sp3 was installed. after install cannot connect to internet. all i get is 'limited or no connectivity' showing. thinking that maybe it was a driver issue from sp3, tried installing old motherboard drivers but no good. only way to get back on internet was to uninstall sp3.

hope someone can advise
      tia

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: problems after installing sp3

This is the 1st case I've heard of SP3 fowling things up, list your hardware specs (especially your motherboard and network interface) and then hopefully somebody can sort you out.

BTW you installed "old" motherboard drivers, did you try getting the most up to date ones?
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There are quite a few reports of this happening, unfortunately there does not seem to be a single reason, but the following is what may be effecting your installation-
      1. Some AV/Firewalls break the installation if you do not uninstall them before applying Sp3. Norton in particular is being blamed, although it can happen with any vendor. The recommendation is to disconnect from the Internet, uninstall all security software, then try the update.
      2. Something, other than above, changes the settings in the Registry which are responsible for the DNS settings. If the above does not work, try entering the settings manually in the LAN properties.
      3. Try running WinSockRepair this should correct any corrupt Registry entries and fix the problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

tnx for replies. reason i used old m/b drivers was because had no problems updating windows prior sp3 or with installing sp3. no problems getting to 'net' until sp3 installed, so thought that maybe sp3 had updated an older ethernet or networking controller driver, causing the problem. m/b is a foxconn with nvidia chipset, amd single core 2400 processor (1.8 gig) + 1 gig ram. before the install, a/v and firewall disabled in start-up. no other security programs running automatically. option of putting dns settings in manually in LAN properties not available. back to sp2 atm, but assume that uninstalling sp3 has removed most if not all of the post sp2 updates and they are no longer available as separate downloads.

Thanks

option of putting dns settings in manually in LAN properties not available
      I don't understand this? Do you mean you cannot access the adapters properties after SP3 is installed? You should be able to in XP by doing the following-

1. Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
      2. Click Network Connections .
      3. Right click your connection in the Network Connections window.
      4. Click Properties button.
      5. Highlight 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' and click the Properties button.
      6. Click the radio button next to 'Use this IP address' and enter the following
      7. IP address 192.168.0.3
        Subnet 255.255.255.0
        Gateway 192.168.0.1
      8. If you want to try OpenDNS servers enter the following in the second part, if you don't just leave it blank. Perferred server 208.67.222.222
        Secondary 208.67.220.220

In many cases just disabling the security programs is not enough, they must be uninstalled or they still interfere with the update.

Did you try Winsock repair?

Some machines are having problems with this SP and driver conflicts, but as far as I know this was more or less restricted to HP OEM installs. If you are unable to resolve this using the above your best solution may be to turn on Auto Updates and see what happens. It will either bring your Sp2 up to date or attempt an Sp3 update.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I've also had a few problems, more related to sound. I did a reformat this week ( not because of any problems, but just an annual cleanup ) Found that the best way was to install everything then install SP3 at the end after I was happy with everything. Also didnt install an update for fatality sound card - alls well now - touch wood.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

tnx for further replies. when i tried to manually change as suggested by Isitme, could access but not type in. haven't tried uninstalling a/v or firewall nor tried winsock yet. hope to have another go at this over w/e. as sp3 is removed atm, when going to windows update, it wants to put sp3 back on. wish i had left sp3 off and gone with the sp2+all updates prior to sp3! trouble is, having taken sp3 off, dont know what post sp2 updates remain on machine, if any

Thanks

tnx for further replies. when i tried to manually change as suggested by Isitme, could access but not type in.
      To my knowledge, this only happens when you do not have sufficient privileges. Are you logging in as Administrator or with Admin privileges? If you are, there may be a corruption somewhere causing the problem. You could run the system file checker to ensure there are no corrupt entries. Open the Run box and type sfc /scannow you will need the install disk in the drive and remember to tick both options.

You should be able to check what updates are present by looking at the Add/Remove list, most updates will be shown there. You might have to tick the box to show the updates.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Sky TV:
      Thanks

hi again Isitme. appreciate your time trying to help. was already logged in as administrator. if there is corruption somewhere as you suggest, strange that it only shows after sp3 is installed, and no error messages come up on screen during or after. seems to me that this is a ethernet or network controller driver issue as all is ok again after sp3 is removed. still strange that removing then reinstalling original chipset drivers from m/b disk doesnt correct the problem while sp3 is installed. all that happens is that the machine keeps searching (aquiring network address). it eventually finds something but says there is 'limited or no connectivity' and cant open any internet page. as far as the updates are concerned, when looking in control panel, add/remove, most of the previously listed updates dont show now. assume therefore that they have been removed with sp3. shame m/s didnt leave the updates listed instead of rolling them into one heading. at least then could possibly have found out which one(s) causing this upset.

Thanks

If you can enter the LAN properties in Sp2, try that and see if the settings are maintained by Sp3.

Going back to the drivers have you checked the LAN manufacturers site for updates? There may be some more up to date than on your disk.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast