Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just connected - very dissapointed in the speed - is this it?

This is a discussion on Just connected - very dissapointed in the speed - is this it? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi folks, Just registered on the forum and was wondering if some of you could help me. Having had Telewest ...

adenny is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01382
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just connected - very dissapointed in the speed - is this it?

Hi folks,

Just registered on the forum and was wondering if some of you could help me.

Having had Telewest (now Virgin) broadband for about the last 7 years, I decided to switch to Sky (Mid). Fortunately I have not yet cancelled Virgin as I think I may be cancelling Sky and going back to them very soon!

I got connected last Friday and Speedtest was showing approx 1900 kbps download speed which I could probably live with. This dropped to about 1500kbps over the weekend. Last night it dropped to around 125kbps (after being off for most of the evening) and tonight is sitting around the 600 mark. Not great and very inconsistent.

My current router stats are as follows:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 640 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 17.8 db 13.0 db

I've seen a lot of talk about plugging into master sockets and the like but I can't seem to locate one in my house, at least not one that has a split face plate. Possibly I have an older version although all sockets in my house look the same to me.

Any of you people have any comments on the above and any advice for me before I cancel Sky broadband? Is this likely to get any better? My stats seem particularly slow compared to the others I have seen posted.

Any help appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Just connected - very dissapointed in the speed - is this it?

An attenuation of 63db would indicate you are some distance from the exchange so you are not likely to see more than 2mb download speed. It would be worth trying to find the master, if its an old one it will look like all the others but have a couple of components soldered to the back of the face plate if you remove the faceplate. Also worth checking you only have wires connected to pins 2 and 5 in all the sockets, extra ones connected can cause problems.

Eviljaxx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallasey Village
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

I had a similar problem, make sure you have filters in all sockets!

Make sure nothing is plugged into a socket without a filter!

cheers

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks guys.

I'll try taking the face plate of the sockets to see if I can determine which is the master. I could live with 2mb download speed as I'm not a huge user of the net. Is it normal for my download speed to change so drastically over a few days though without me changing anything?

I think I do have filters in all the sockets, at least the ones with something fitted to them. Do I need to fit filters to sockets that don't have anything fitted to them?

What about an extension lead? Is fitting a filter to the end of the extension sufficient or do I need to fit a filter to the socket too?
      Last edited by adenny; 14-05-08 at 08:29 AM.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The best thing to do is test on the master/Test socket. then test on the socket that you want to use. With regards to the extension (I imagine it one plugged into another socket and then another device on there. What is plugged on that extension. If it is a phone/fax something that uses voice filter before the extension. If it is the router then filter after the extension. With regards to extensions, what I have tended to is check my speed etc, on the test and then slowly build up my internal telephone setup and try and find out which device is causing the problem.

You do not have to have filters on all sockets, only those in use.

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm an ex virgin media user too and I'm seriously thinking of jacking in Sky and going for VM again.

The speeds I'm getting currently on Sky's 8mb service is 424kb/s down and 52kb/s up. On VM I always got what they advertised, so if I was to take an 8Mb service with them that would be exactly what I got.

I'm fed up of slow loading pages, seriously started to get annoyed with it now.

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adenny View Post
      Hi folks,

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 640 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 17.8 db 13.0 db
      A high downstream margin would indicate you have been capped by sky. Maybe worth posting the stats from the master socket/test socket.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

A quick update for those that posted advice and help.

Have been on the phone to Sky now and checked all sockets in the house while on the phone - apparently I had it plugged into the master socket anyway so those are the stats.

Sky said I am still within the settling in period (whatever that is) and it should be sorted within 72 hours. We'll see.

Meanwhile I am using my old VM modem due to constantly losing connection on Sky broadband last night while trying to book a holiday online. Must say, I'm seriously tempted to stick with this after going back to it but I'll try again in a few days and hopefully everything will be sorted.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

There isnt a settling in period for llu products, only connect. As Monday says post stats directly from the test socket ( behind the master if you have one ). Also the use of extensions for the router is not a good idea, not sure if you are but you mentioned it in an earlier post so if it is for the router then try and get rid.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you still have your cable connection, you would do well to hold on to it, especially if you want a high speed. With your attenuation you will get nothing like 8mbps, even with the best internal wiring, you will be lucky if you get a quarter of that. If you were told you would get 8mb, you were miss-sold and should ask for your money back if you are not happy. As Monday says, it looks like you have been capped, but Sky don't do this for no reason. Usually it is because your line is generating too many errors to be stable at a higher speed. You can always phone them and ask for your speed to be increased, but even if it is, it will not be by very much.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast