Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just connected - very dissapointed in the speed - is this it?

This is a discussion on Just connected - very dissapointed in the speed - is this it? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; i feel like doing same but virgin media is too expensive!! however i have 63db as well and on a ...

samperry209 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Just connected - very dissapointed in the speed - is this it?

i feel like doing same

but virgin media is too expensive!!

however i have 63db as well and on a good ill get 2560kbps! bad day like today im getting 700kbps

2. Advertisement
      pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It is more expensive, but I've been looking at their packages. If you're happy to shift to their phone supplier too then they start to even out price wise when you consider the cost of broadband and phone line rental. Without taking their phone package it does seem a little over priced, but with it I can justify it.

The XL package looks very tempting. I'd never get that speed with ADSL products and with VM I can use any hardware I want, so I'm speaking to the wife about possibly migrating back to them (as she uses the BT landline, I just use my mobile).

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

adenny is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01382
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok, Here are the latest router stats after Sky have 'fixed' the problem:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1856 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 13.2 db 13.0 db

I've not had the Sky modem hooked up all weekend. However, when I came in from work tonight there was no connection at all, it has only just came back on. Much higher downstream connection speed than when i first posted, although it has been this high on the odd occasion before. Noise margin seems to be lower - I assume this is what Sky have changed?

The most annoying thing is that it still seems very temperamental with connection as highlighted earlier this evening. The other annoying thing is that Sky told me i would get 3-3.5 Mb when I ordered, hence the reason I went for the Mid package. When I phoned last week they said I could only get up to 1Mb (which is clearly wrong anyway going by the above stats) - if that was the case I would have taken the minimum package.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You still appear to have a cap on the line, probably because of noise problems. It could be that with the cap off, your line becomes unstable. Even with the cap completely removed, with your attenuation, the most you could expect would be 2 to 2.5mbps. If you were told you would get 3-3.5 either you were lied to or the agent made a genuine mistake. You could phone Sky and ask them to raise your speed a bit, but as mentioned earlier, it could become too unstable and throw up too many errors. I'm sorry, but with your line length/condition you are not going to do much better. If you have the need for speed, then keeping your cable connection is the only way to go.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

adenny is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01382
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK Cheers.

It's not really a need for speed I'm after, just a bit of reliability.

Just had a guy from Sky on the phone and hopefully things will now be a bit better reliability wise - they seem to think it should be.

I'll be keeping the cable modem for a while yet though just in case.

I'll be trying to get Sky to drop me down to the minimum package too.

tobys550 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It might just be me....but I have come across a lot of people recently moaning about there sky connection and similar things happening to me and yourself.... My connection would quite happily sit at 2048kbps for nearly a week...then yesterday morning at 9am it rebooted and connected at 128kbps!!! after numerous reboots yesterday and today it currently on the up, at 1456kbps at the moment. The problem I also have is intermittant very bad noise on the phone line....so bad that you can really here the pops and crackles, it throws out my net connection and it wont reconnect until the phone call has ended, which by then puts the speed right back down to 128kbps again!!!! Sky are sending me another router...although i know its not the router because I have tried another one. I have just bought an adslnation filtered faceplate to. Intermittant problems have go to be the most annoying problems ever!!!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The problem I also have is intermittant very bad noise on the phone line....so bad that you can really here the pops and crackles
      You should report this to your telephone provider, unless you pay Sky for telephone rental, they will not be able to do much. As always, don't mention broadband or your complaint may be ignored. If you get the voice side of your line fixed it will improve your broadband.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12