Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A few questions...

This is a discussion on A few questions... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, Just given my mac code to sky after getting some what annoyed over BT 's port throttling for ...

evensisftw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

A few questions...

Hi guys,

Just given my mac code to sky after getting some what annoyed over BT's port throttling for the past year (sigh) to 512k between exactly 18:45 and 23:30. They denied it up to the end, and after asking them to remove it the other day otherwise I would move; the characteristic script reading guy at the end finally gave up offering price reductions and a new router (which has been put in the loft to rot it was that awful), he gave me the mac code. Anyway...

I'm curious to know how the sky profiling works, is it similar to BT's BRAS profiling system? Or is it instantaneous? Furthermore, is the actual transfer speed achieved in relation to the sync speed minus the overheads? i.e if i achieve a 3000k sync speed will i be able to achieve lets say a 2781k download?

I have a 58-57db line, managed with tinkering to get a 3200k average on bt max, but of course, their profiling limited it to 2.5mbit. Managed to totally screw up the BRAS profile once and got limited to 128k for a week. Even after admitting to them i was the culprit and simply asking them to reset the bras profile; they still insisted on sending an engineer, which i think is about 120 pounds a call out, who couldn't even reset the profile himself without ringing BT wholesale? go figure...

Anyway, enough moaning and questions, looking forward to a decent connection

Thanks
      Last edited by evensisftw; 12-05-08 at 09:44 AM.

2. Advertisement
      phproxy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Player
      Thanks

Re: A few questions...

Sky don't want you as a customer.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phproxy View Post
      Sky don't want you as a customer.
      . . . and exactly how is that comment supposed to be helpful?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evensisftw View Post
      I'm curious to know how the sky profiling works
      No, Sky don't use an exchange based rate adaption system.

What happens is that the router negotiates with the exchange equipment the best sync it can for a set noise margin (6.9db) - up to the limit of the package that the customer is on. If you want more details see the first sticky in my signature below.

It takes about a minute or so for the router to complete its negotiation with the exchange but only a small part of this is the sync negotiation i.e. it's instantaneous and there's no 10 day training period like BT. The sync speed is the sync speed. Again unlike BT there is no lower profile set for the actual throughput so you get the sync less TCP/IP overheads.

HTH

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Evensisftw.
      I assume that when you were with BT you used the DMT tool to lower your target noise margin and ended up with an unstable line, so your profile got trashed?
      Your best bet with Sky is to check out your internal wiring and make sure it is up to scratch. If it is not, you may end up getting capped, and getting this removed can prove painful.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Phproxy thanks for that constructive comment, at any rate I have a reason to be upset with BT, 25 hours at least on the phone to BT, 3 engineer visits etc, i can go on and on. 3rd visit they realised that the copper pair on the green box was corroded and half hanging out. Problems vanished after that...

Thanks saturday, thats quite a farcry over BT's BRAS profile system and seems far more efficent and convienient for the end user...does Sky use seamless rate adaption?

Brian, yeah i was mucking around and set my target snr to 30db accidently, which was the wrong move to say the least Think it synced at 178k down and 448 up. Ended up getting stuck on the 128k profile for a week even though i was syncing at 2.5-3mbit still. (Incredibly difficult to get them to reset the profile) I had guy who works for BT come in and wire up the connection from upstairs to downstairs where the router resides. Surprisingly even with BT standard cabling i lose 3db on the SNR from the test socket to downstairs with about 2-3 metres of cable :S Have 2 wireless telephones next to the router so might be an issue of electronic interference not sure.
      Last edited by evensisftw; 12-05-08 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks

A loss of 3db SNRM in just a few meters of cable is massive!! This will lead to problems, do this.
      (1) get a filter faceplate (your BT mate should have fitted one but who knows)
      (2) put your router close to the master and run cat5 cable between the router and Pc

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It is CAT5 cabling i believe (Its the same cable that runs from the telephone pole to my house) Quite a thick black cable. One of the original reasons i couldn't get broadband was because we had a 40 year old cable out front of the house that literally crumbled in the engineers hand :X

Its just the standard faceplate with the test socket. What benefits does the filter faceplate have over conventional filters?
      Last edited by evensisftw; 12-05-08 at 12:08 PM.

Thanks

Much depends on how much internal wiring you have, It's just that you are clearly after as fast a connection as your line will support, so a faceplate filter, move router, is the way to go. Routers are very susceptable to interferance of all kinds, so it is a good idea to have it as far away from the rest of your kit as possible.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sounds like a good plan, will pop out to maplins see if they have a faceplate filter. Thanks for the advise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast