Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Anyone else get major outage yesterday?

This is a discussion on Anyone else get major outage yesterday? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Yesterday evening my broadband with Sky was unusable. My laptop kept reporting that the wireless network was either local ...

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Anyone else get major outage yesterday?

Hi,

Yesterday evening my broadband with Sky was unusable. My laptop kept reporting that the wireless network was either local only (without intnernet available) or wasn't available at all. The whole time I was rebooting and kept trying to get in to the setup as I can normally do, but that was also unavailable.

I left it overnight and today there's no issue. The only possible conclusion I can come up with is that perhaps Sky were doing some sort of remote update?

Just wondered if anyone else experienced anything similar last night?

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Anyone else get major outage yesterday?

This happened to me about a month ago (I started a thread on here about it). Like you I put it down to some sort of work being done on the line. Mine was off for about three hours in total.

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

i had it thursday evening around 9:30 pm for about an hour and a half

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

it's doing it again for me now!
      I've had to log in to do this over my mobile phone, so apologies for any typos.
      21:50 and the problem started again, same as last night. It seems to be something that happens around 22:00 each night, stopping both laptops in my house from connecting and if they do connect they drop seconds later.

Something's going on here, this is too much of a coincidence! What are sky up to?

The router is controlled by them, updated by them etc. So i suspect this is something being done by sky. If it wasn't such a modified router then this problem would just affect the internet connection, not lock me out of the router as well. I can't even get to the control panel.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pebbleheed View Post
      I can't even get to the control panel.
      That is what happened when my connection went down although my computer could still find both mine and the other wireless networks but couldn't connect.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It's very annoying.

I just spent about 20 minutes on the phone with Sky BB's technical help team. I can only describe them as a cost saving joke!!!

It appears that they read from a script, don't listen to you and they're always right. I used to work in IT for 7 years before my current job, so have a bit of knowledge every now and then.

I explained the problem to them and that I'd connected (with permission) to my neighbours network at the same time Sky was refusing to let me connect. I explained that this failure on my router occured each day around 10pm and that it worked the next day until 10pm when the problem occured again. So things are kind of pointing to a faulty router or a problem with the Sky managed router and network. But no, the 'technical' support person has a script in front of them and they are determined to read it, regardless of the fact that someone with knowledge of the subject is talking to them. The insist it's a problem with both laptops in my house and that I need to speak to the manufacturer of the internal wireless cards.

So in Sky's official technical opinion, my two Dell laptops are the problem. On both laptops, they have developed a fault that stops them connecting to some, not all, wireless networks at 10pm each day which then resolves itself in the morning. It can't possibly be the single router that both laptops are trying to connect to and the fact I can connect to other routers at 10pm doesn't make a difference, in Sky's expertise it's my 2 laptops at fault!!

I was shocked to say the least.....

I explained again to the person on the phone how the problem was affecting both laptops and that it occured around 10pm each day. That at this time I could still connect to other networks, just not the Sky one and that at this point I couldn't even get in to the network setup screen of the router. Nope, it's still not Sky's problem, they still won't do anything about it and I have to speak to Dell re two faulty laptops that I just happen to have purchased. Amazing that these laptops have worked fine for nearly 10 months now and on the same day they both develop the same fault, but that fault is only when connecting to the Sky router and not to any other router. Hmmm... Perhaps if someone on the other side of the phone actually knew what they were talking about, instead of reading a script, they may spot this vital clue that is screaming out "Hey! The router's misbehaving damn it!!!" and then perhaps I could get some customer service.

My next step was a lot simpler. "Hello, is that the Sky cancellations team?". I explained the problem to them, they were very suprised. They've said the best thing I can do is opt for the basic Sky BB package so that way I won't be paying for it. This would work well with my option of paying for the cable broadband service I had before and am now missing greatly. I can still stay with Sky TV but get broadband that actually works past 10pm with cable and not be billed for both. Thank god someone at Sky is a little more intelligent.

It seems if you call a 'technical' support line you get someone that has trouble understanding you, reads a script and puts sentences together in an awkward fashion. But when you call the Sky cancellations team you get people that sound like they actually know what they are talking about and can actually help you. Surely it would make sense to employ intelligent people throughout the Sky telephone team instead of just the cancellation team???

Anyway, the problem is still NOT solved and every day at around 10pm it comes back. Sky have no idea about it or how to fix it.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Further to the above,

I've just tried connecting to the internet on my PS3 and Wii. Guess what, both report network problems!

Should I now call Sky and wait for them to tell me to contact Sony and Nintendo because they've also developed this mysterious 10pm fault too along with both my Dell laptops?

It seems the router is faulty or the problem is on the Sky side. Will anyone listen to me though?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hmm... Seems there could be more to this than a local hardware issue. Reading another thread on this site I can see that someone who lives about 5 minutes away from me is also having the exact same problem! See here.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Losing connection

Have you done the checks that the guy in the other thread has tried, connecting to the test socket etc? Most of these type of problems are caused by a drop in the noise margin on the phone line, caused by line noise which doe's increase at night with more people on the network and an increase in RF noise like on an AM radio. It would definately be worth discounting problems in your house by trying the test socket, as Sky's normal fix for this would be to cap your speed down until the problem "line noise" goe's away.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've not tried that as of yet, however I've done some digging.

I managed to get in to my router using my Nokia N95. It still refused the laptop but allowed me in with my mobile for a few minutes before it chucked me out and refused the phone too.

Checking the log on the router I found this
      08:20 - LCP down.
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:23 - Initialize LCP.
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:23 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:26 - CHAP authentication success
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:31 - LCP down.
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:32 - Initialize LCP.
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:32 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:35 - CHAP authentication success
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:38 - LCP down.
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:39 - Initialize LCP.
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:39 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:42 - CHAP authentication success
      The LCP error messages appeared around 22:00 which is the exact time this problem starts each night. So on to google and I found the following,

DG834GT LCP is down? - Page 2 - NETGEAR Forums which mentions Sky as the ISP and the same error message and says it's a problem at the exchange.

If this is a problem at the exchange it may also explain why there are 2 users on this site who live within 5 minutes of each other experiencing this very same problem every night at 10pm.

So is it a problem at the exchange and if it is, how on earth do I get Sky 'technical' support to listen to me or get anywhere with it?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast