Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Anyone else get major outage yesterday?

This is a discussion on Anyone else get major outage yesterday? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; It would be instructive to see some figures to show how many problems are fixed at what levels of support. ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Anyone else get major outage yesterday?

It would be instructive to see some figures to show how many problems are fixed at what levels of support. I suspect lots are just of the "router not switched on" or "phone line not connected" type.

2. Advertisement
      pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes I agree, getting passed Tier1 is like a game. You have to beat the tier1 staff to get to the goal of the higher tier staff.

Anyway, my problem's getting sorted so I'm happy and my nice new black router arrived today from Sky. It looks like a mini sky digi box and is apparently a newer model? Hopefully between this and the work at the exchange my problems will be sorted.

The outage occured tonight at 22:30, but only lasted about 4 minutes. I'm monitoring closely to see if that's it.

PaulSky, do you mind if I ask if you work for Sky?
      Last edited by pebbleheed; 19-05-08 at 05:16 AM.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I was out tonight, but my wife reported the problem occurred again tonight, so it's still not fixed.

I've also noticed that my connection is stupidly slow. I'm meant to have 8Mb service, but my speeds are 424kb/s down and 52kb/s up! That's ridiculous! All web pages are taking forever to load up, it almost reminds me of the dial up era.
      Last edited by pebbleheed; 19-05-08 at 05:16 AM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Update :

The problem is STILL occurring, although the top tier support team are working on it so I am hopeful.

Last night's conversation with them revealed that they now believe the issue to be caused by two problems. The first is looking like a fault at the ASHTON exchange, so engineers will be visiting that to look in to it.

The second problem is thought to be with the router, which causes the wireless network to stop working for a few hours each day. They've already sent me 2 routers out, one old style white Netgear and one new style black Netgear. However a discussion last night with them suggested that there may be a problem with the Neatgear hardware and firmware that causes this, so they are sending me out the new style black Sagem router as they said this problem isn't known to occur on that one. Fingers crossed that this will solve 1 of my problems and that the engineer can solve my other.

I'll keep you all posted
      Last edited by pebbleheed; 19-05-08 at 05:15 AM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

quick solution to problem 2 - jack in wireless and use ethernet or powerline adapters...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      quick solution to problem 2 - jack in wireless and use ethernet or powerline adapters...
      That's not exactly a solution though.

I use the internet all over my house and even in my garden. I have 2 laptops that my wife and myself use in different places. On top of that I have a PS3, Wii and other equipment connecting to the wireless internet. If I stop using the wireless feature my house will quickly be filled with wires and I'll no longer be able to use the internet in all areas of the house and garden.

Sky supply their inernet with a wireless router, I should be able to use the wireless method of connection.

I was with Virgin Media previously and was able to use wireless networking then without any issue at all and never had these problems. It only appears to be these 2 boxes supplied with modified firmware by Sky that has this problem.

I would much rather the problem be resolved to make the service usable than have to result to inconvenient or more expensive ways of using the internet.

I've had Netgear routers in the past that haven't presented me with this problem, it only appears to be the 2 that have been modified by Sky that cause this problem. I am hoping that their provision of a Sagem router will cure the problem as they suggest.

If the 2 problems are resolved I'll be happy, if not I'll be heading back to VM and their rather more reliable and faster fibre optics and the massive benefit of being able to use any router you want with it. That would cost me more money so I'm giving Sky a chance to sort things out.
      Last edited by pebbleheed; 19-05-08 at 05:15 AM.

movilogo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I was with Virgin Media previously and was able to use wireless networking then without any issue at all and never had these problems.
      So do I I was with Virgin for 2 years never had issues with broadband but in Sky, I'm having daily altercation with their tech support team for my frequent disconnection problem!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by movilogo View Post
      So do I I was with Virgin for 2 years never had issues with broadband but in Sky, I'm having daily altercation with their tech support team for my frequent disconnection problem!
      My problem is annoying. It's getting to the stage where I'm thinking of ditching Sky and heading back to VM for broadband. VM's more expensive, but it has the following advantages,

• Faster connection speeds
      • You can normally get the speed advertised due to optic fibres
      • You can use any router you want and not just one supplied with *******ised firmware as with Sky
      • The connection works EVERY day!!

I'm hoping Sky sort things out, if not I'm jumping ship. They've already given me this month's broadband for free after I complained to their customer services about not being able to use the service at certain periods. If it continues in to next month I'll be expecting it free then too and so on until it's resolved.

Each day, pretty much the same time, the internet drops. To make that worse the wifi on the router fails daily and I have to wait until the next day for that to start working too, even if the internet is still working on the router.

I have been talking to their top level technical team though and they are a massive improvement to the people that initially answer the phones. I am hoping they can resolve the issues and can only praise them so far. Here's hoping my ticker below can soon be replaced to 'days without a fault'.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You seem to be going round in circle's a little! I have been using the old white Sky router for over 18 month's since I joined and have never suffered the problems you describe with the old firmware or the updated firmware either. To narrow your problem down I would suggest connection one computer to the router via ethernet cable during the period of day that the disconnections occur to find out once and for all if you have a wireless issue. The router dosen't record wireless drop outs so Sky would have no way of knowing if it had actually dropped out. Also try plugging your router into the BT test socket as I suggested earlier in this thread, if things improve you have a wiring problem in your house.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The internet connectivity was a problem at the exchange. Sky arranged for someone to check this out, then they contacted me saying it was fixed. Now the connectivity issues don't occur any longer.

The wireless network problems still occur though and on both Sky provided routers. It still drops every night, regardless of which of the 2 Netgear routers I use provided by Sky. I have a Sagem router on the way from them to try out and am hoping that will cure the problem, but in the mean time I've put together my own solution that will keep me going until it arrives. I have plugged a Linksys wireless access point in to one of the ethernet ports on the rear of the Sky router, disabled the wireless network on the Sky router and set up the wireless AP to do the work that both Sky routers seem unable to do. The result is that I have a wirless network 24/7 that doesn't go down. It doesn't look too good and it's annoying having yet another electrical device plugged in, but while this problem is being worked on by Sky I'll keep using this homemade fix to be able to use the internet for now.

It's certainly a problem with both Netgear routers supplied by Sky, the wireless network on them appears to fail every night, but the Linksys hardware which I sourced myself instead of from Sky has no issues at all.

The Sky routers appear to be very sluggish too. If I log in to the control panel during the wireless outage times I notice that screens either fail to load or take ages to display. However when the wireless network is working I can browse through all the pages of the Netgear setup without any issue. I'm not sure what's causing it yet, but it seems as if there's an issue with the OS on the routers. I've not noticed that on other Netgear routers, so I think it may be something to do with Sky's modifications to the routines it's running or some remote process. I've seen similar behaviour on webservers when maxing out on resources, which makes me think this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast