Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Anyone else get major outage yesterday?

This is a discussion on Anyone else get major outage yesterday? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well I've googled the phrase "LCP IS DOWN SKY" and it's amazing how many others have had, or have, this ...

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Anyone else get major outage yesterday?

Well I've googled the phrase "LCP IS DOWN SKY" and it's amazing how many others have had, or have, this problem with Sky as their ISP. It's also worrying reading how many are struggling to get any sense from Sky Support

I found this though, which adds further to my thoughts above
      Basically, it is a problem with the Sky hardware equipment at the Long Eaton exchange which I’m connected to. The guy said he can telnet to the DSLammer (I think that’s what its called) at the exchange and see that myself and 43 other people are experiencing the same problem. We are all connected into a card which is faulty and engineers are trying to rectify the problem right now. This actually does make sense as my brother is on the next street to me, connected into the same exchange and has just gone on to Sky Broadband with a very smooth transition (must be a different card to me). I asked the advisor in his experience how long will it be before the problem is resolved, he said if they’ve not fixed it by say between 6 and 8pm tonight they will simply swap out the card for a new one.
      Sky's Non-Technical TECHNICAL Support Line! - Sky Broadband - Digital Spy Forums

Which again makes me think it's a problem at my exchange. Now how to get Sky to check it out?

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well for starters what exchange are you on as there are a number that are suffering faulty cards at the mo and are waiting on investigation etc. If you have called Tier 1 then one of the basic checks is to look at the customers exchange information and check for issues on the status page. If your exchange is listed they then need to check if you are on an affected card etc.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Paul,

I'm on the MRASHTON exchange.

Something really weird happened tonight though, I called Sky again but this time I got really helpful staff!

The first call a woman answered, actually listened to my problem and asked me to try a few things then call back. I did that and when I called the second time another helpful person answered who listened to me and although they didn't quite understand everything they happily put me through to a higher level of technical support who were extremely helpful and even called me back after doing checks. My belief in Sky is rekindled

When I called last night it seemed like I went to a foreign call centre, but tonight I was definitely speaking to people in the UK. Does that sound possible? There was a massively difference between the two call centres and after tonight I won't be cancelling my Sky broadband because they actually listened to me and were extremely helpful.

The techie said they reckoned it was either my router or the exchange at fault, but as someone else close by is having the problem it looked more like an exchange issue. They said they'd send me a new router to make sure, but would also contact the BT / exchange side of the operation to make sure things were ok and get them to look in to it. They were also aware of issues at my exchange earlier last week which may explain why this problem has been with me for nearly a week now.

Although the person living near me, on another thread on this site, is living in an area that's serviced by another exchange it's still possible that there are local issues affecting us as we live so close.

Another thing is that tonight's outage appears to have only been about 2 hours. My internet is now back up. It went off bang on 22:00 and came back about 10 minutes ago. Not sure if this is Sky fixing things or if whatever's causing this problem has ended for tonight.

I'll be getting a call tomorrow night from Sky with a further update, so hopefully we'll get this sorted asap. I have faith in them again

Exchange:
      Thanks

What? You don't think foreign people live in the UK lol There are more than one group of agents taking calls in more than one site lol
      A lot of calls stay UK based before a certain time, after that time most of it shifts to the offshore centers as the time zone difference means they are open when our centers are closed.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      What? You don't think foreign people live in the UK lol
      Of course they do, but you can normally tell the difference between a UK call centre and one that's offshore.

It seems a common saving strategy for some companies to give poor support to their customers and pay for an offshore call centre, but on the flip side they tend to offer extremely poor support and understanding. In my case I wasn't listened to and don't think I was understood either. The understanding part is fair enough, but the not listening to me is rude and very bad for business.

Had I have not spoken to the extremely helpful people I spoke to last night then there'd be a Virgin Media broadband box in my house next week and Sky Broadband would no longer be paid for. As it is I was extremely impressed so as long as I can get that lot each time I have problems I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      There are more than one group of agents taking calls in more than one site lol
      A lot of calls stay UK based before a certain time, after that time most of it shifts to the offshore centers as the time zone difference means they are open when our centers are closed.
      That makes sense, but to be honest I'd rather have a recorded message saying Sky's closed for a few hours than a person who's not listening to your problem and is just reading a script without a care about your problem.

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

^All T1's do that mate, whether your call is being taken in the UK or not they will still have to go through the same ridiculous script again. TBH i've found all the non-uk teir1, CST or what have you, very nice and do resolve your problem. Its not about getting through to someone in the UK its about getting through to someone who understands your problem.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monday View Post
      ^All T1's do that mate, whether your call is being taken in the UK or not they will still have to go through the same ridiculous script again. TBH i've found all the non-uk teir1, CST or what have you, very nice and do resolve your problem. Its not about getting through to someone in the UK its about getting through to someone who understands your problem.
      The difference for me seemed to be that the UK call centre actually listened to me and knew when to drop the script. The offshore call centre didn't. They either chose to ignore my problem and rudely continued over me or did it because they didn't understand me, either way it left me without a solution and feeling rather insulted.

I've spoken to Sky tonight again following the same problem appearing. My new router is on the way to rule that out and they are also exploring any potential issues at the exchange which I'm thinking is more likely.

The top tier support person that I've been speaking to tonight and last night is excellent. He knows his stuff, is very helpful and friendly and to be honest it's nice to feel like I'm being listened to and taken seriously.

It looks like it will take a few more days to fix, but at least I know the wheels are moving behind the scene.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Tier 1 is not allowed to drop from the script too much, if they do then they can get into trouble. QA recordings are scrutinised and if you do not follow the flow process properly you can end up in some really smelly stuff. The trick is to know how to get to the end of the flow without the customer knowing that you are still pushing through it.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Having a script for the use of 1st line support is a very good thing. If you have a look at "Another slow connection...sorry" you will see that I had made assumptions that the problem may be in the new build wiring, but in fact it was just the lack of a filter on the phone. Somebody in tier 1, with little or no knowlege, other than the script, would have given the correct advice. there must be loads of problems solved by tier 1 resulting in a happy outcome.

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That is the problem with the way in which this support is delivered. It is hard to get beyond Tier1. There are plenty of companies doing this now and they all have the same "feel" to them. It is deeply frustrating to the poor customer who knows that they have exhausted Tier1's capabilities and just needs to get to speak with a higher-level technician. Actually getting over that particular hurdle is a monumental task.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast