Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can’t setup Network – workgroup not accessible

This is a discussion on Can’t setup Network – workgroup not accessible within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My desktop pc is hard wired to a Sky Netgear router using an Ethernet cable. My laptop is connected to ...

naggis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01260
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can’t setup Network – workgroup not accessible

My desktop pc is hard wired to a Sky Netgear router using an Ethernet cable.
      My laptop is connected to the router wirelessly.
      Both computers run xp and connect to the internet with no problems at all.
      I have run the xp network setup wizard on both machines and ensured that file sharing is enabled on both.
      If I use “View workgroup computers” in My Network Places – the laptop shows itself and I can see the files that have been selected to share on the network. However, on the desktop a similar check to see workgroup computers fails with a message that “Workgroup is not accessible” and that I don’t have permission and that a list of servers on the workgroup is not available.
      Another point is that if I use Start, My Network Places is shown on the laptop but is not on the desktop. Does that mean that the desktop has not created a network place? But it will connect to the internet so what does this mean?
      I have searched the net and this forum to find a solution and so far no joy.
      Please can anyone offer a possible solution before I go completely mad.

2. Advertisement
      mandelbug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mill Hill
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Can’t setup Network – workgroup not accessible

Is windows firewall activated? Check start - control panel - network connections and look for a little padlock icon

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have disabled Windows firewall and made sure that my normal antivirus/firewall (NOD) is allowing file sharing.
      One other point, xp is using SP3 now. Could this be causing a problem?

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This sounds like a Windows Workgroup mismatch.

Are both the Laptop and the Desktop computer set to be on the same "Windows" network? You can check this by looking at My Computer | Properties | Computer Name. Make sure that the "Workgroup" is identically set on both computers.

If it isn't click on the Change button and correct the information in Member Of | Workgroup.

That should do the trick.

Edit: No it is not an SP3 problem - I'm using SP3 with Windows Workgroups and file sharing with other XP systems as well as Mac OS X machines.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think it is a case of not having file sharing configured correctly. This article from MS explains how to set up File Sharing in XP and gives advice on both Home and Pro versions.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions Netgeezer. Unfortunately they didn't solve the problem.
      Both pc's are set up with the same name and each of them has a different name.
      At one time I wondered if it may be to do with the encryption of the router which is set at wpa not wep. But I disabled any encryption and that did not fix it!
      The problem seems to be with the desktop which is hard wired to the router. You would think that the wireless connection may have given more problems.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Isitme. I have read the MS article and gone through the procedure again but still no joy. You just know that somewhere, something is in an incorrect mode and as soon as I find it and change it all will be well. But how to get to it?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you logged in with Administrator privileges? Are you using Home, Pro or a mixture?

There is something you could try which may work. Simply change the name of the Workgroup on both PCs and reboot them. Why this should work, I don't know, but sometimes it does.

THIS is one of the best networking tutorials I know of, you may find the answer there.
      Last edited by Isitme; 10-05-08 at 04:05 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@naggis - I presume that the PCs are able to ping eachother? That would eliminate the Wireless/Wired LAN suspicion you raised above. In each PC check the local Firewall settings to ensure that you have not inadvertently turned off the filesharing capability - try resetting the local firewalls back to default.

Windows "Workgroup" tends to work out of the box, so something has to have changed to scupper it.

It may be worth running TCP/IP Repair - don't worry too much about the warnings, it really isn't that bad! XP TCP/IP Repair - try the Repair Winsock first, then the Reset TCP/IP. I've solve a lot of niggly little networky issues with it quickly, much better than going in under the hood yourself
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well Netgeezer, the TCP/IP Repair did the job. It wouldn't repair the Winsock as it said that xp had not been upgraded to sp2. In fact it has been upgraded to sp3 - wonder if it could not see the difference?
      But the problem was obviously in the TCP area. Sorting that problem caused an number of other problems associated with my antivirus/firewall - NOD. I had to reinstall this a number of times to get it finally sorted and reestablish the network connnections.
      So now I can safely see files in either pc which are located on the other. Lets hope it stays that way.
      So thanks again for the pointer, I may have searched forever on my own!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast