Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Canít setup Network Ė workgroup not accessible

This is a discussion on Canít setup Network Ė workgroup not accessible within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Nice one Naggis - glad that did the trick for you. It does sound like NOD or something affecting it ...

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Canít setup Network Ė workgroup not accessible

Nice one Naggis - glad that did the trick for you. It does sound like NOD or something affecting it may have scuppered part of your TCP/IP stack. I guess that the Winsock Repair will need to be revised for XP SP3. Glad to have been able to help.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

2. Advertisement
      naggis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01260
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Post script to the original post.
      The problem returned and this time it resisted fixing with TCPIP Fix. I spent many a happy hour reinstalling and searching for the cause. Eventually there were 2 matters which were causing the problem.
      Firstly, it was necessary to enable "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" in the Properties of the TCP/IP setup.
      And secondly, despite the fact that I had disabled the Windows Firewall and checked that it was disabled many many times, eventually I found a window which indicated that it was still enabled on the network. This situation applied to both the desktop and laptop. What was that all about - a sneaky trick perpetrated by Uncle Bill and is not so merry men?!
      Anyway, once these 2 problems had been sorted, the system worked like a charm - even allowing the desktop to share folders and a printer with Ubuntu (a linux distribution) which is dual booted on the laptop.
      I hope this extra information may help someone suffering the same frustrations that I did.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

That is a bit strange, "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" is unnecessary unless you are running pre-Win98 or an old NT system. Might be required by Linux, though I doubt it. If you are having to use it, I think it means there is something wrong with your DHCP settings.This is from an MS article, it may be worth checking how you are configured. -
      Configure the DHCP client to enable the DHCP server to determine NetBIOS behavior

For Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows 2000

1.On the desktop, right-click My Network Places, and then click Properties.
      2.Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties
      In the Components checked are used by this connection list, double-click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click Advanced, and then click the WINS

Note In Windows XP and in Windows Server 2003, you must double-click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the This connection uses the following items list.
      tab.
      Click Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server, and then click OK three times.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

naggis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01260
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Isitme.
      I have changed the NetBIOS settings and am surprised to find that it has no effect on the operation of file sharing between the xp and linux operating systems.
      The original (incorrect) setting did overcome the recurring problem with Eset Smart Security. Could it have been that the real cause of the problem was the Windows firewall which was still active on the network without me knowing? Once the Windows firewall was disabled completely, Eset could do its job without conflict and the NetBIOS setting could be corrected. It sounds plausible and fits the facts (if I remember them well during all the activity to get things right)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think you have it there. Running 2 firewalls can often cause real problems, I think that was probably the reason for your troubles. Just make sure the Windows firewall is kept off and disable the constant warnings it gives you when it is not allowed to run.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12