Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

newbie question

This is a discussion on newbie question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all this is my first post so if this in wrong place or already been talked about i say ...

nitromad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: warrington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Question newbie question

Hi all

this is my first post so if this in wrong place or already been talked about i say sorry now .

im on sky max i was connected at 14 odd meg to rounter first day i was "live" but since been cut down to 12479 at rounter can anyone see reasion for this ???

i've done test plug test this is result first normally pluged in (master box)
      down up
      connection speed 12479 574
      line attenuation 29 14.2
      noise margin 10.4 21.0

now as of right now pluged via "test" socket (master box)
      down up
      connection speed 12479 574
      line attenuation 29 14.2
      noise margin 15.3 21

only diffent i see is noise margin would this small amount make any diffent ?? last night while i found this site i was keeping eye on it and noise margin went as low as 7.5 (normally pluged in).do anyone think getting one of these filter plates that ppl been getting in other part of forum is worth it in my case ? i think and this an guess i think my noise margin while just pluged on normally went below an magic number in my first day of going "live" and it trigger an capping to stable the connection ? does anyone agree or have i just been totally wrong ?? also i know it got good speed but i obessed with speed i would like fastist stable connection pos i know i never get the full rounter connection speed but having that 2meg back would be nice

thanks for reading and please let me know your thoughts again sorry if in wrong place or already talked about and i learnt alot from reading site as it is

thanks
      Gavin

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: newbie question

Hi Gavin.
      Thanks for posting two sets of stats, as I think you suspect, the answer is there.
      The key point is that your SNRM increased when you connected at the test socket, and an increase of 5db is not small. it points to a problem with your internal wiring. It would appear that Sky have noticed errors on your line and have capped your speed.
      You need to take a look at "cable and faceplate" section and see what can be done to improve your wiring. There is no point in talking to sky at this stage, what you are aiming for is the same SNRM at the extension as is at the test socket. When you have that sorted then you can get sky to lift the cap.
      As a starter, try removing the ring wire at the master (the wire that connects to 3) and see if that helps.

Thanks

hi

thanks for such quick reply i remove the ring wire see if that helps and will move to "cable and faceplate" as u said

thanks
      Gavin

EDIT: thanks that fixed the poblem (moving wire 3) noise margin is sitting at same i keep eye on it if stay stable i ring sky to get cap removed
      Last edited by nitromad; 10-05-08 at 10:35 AM. Reason: update

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

indeed, did you call Sky in the first place? as they don't cap for the fun of it...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      indeed, did you call Sky in the first place? as they don't cap for the fun of it...
      hi thanks for reply

no ive not called them yet but i most likly wrong but i don't see why connection droped 2meg i forgot to add the line keep disconnecting untill it droped and silly me didn't have clue what everything meant in rounter stat at time i thought lower the noise margin the better also i started new post in cable and faceplate section as i don't think my extension wireing is helping.

thanks for your time

Gavin