Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can't see Wireless Network on Windows

This is a discussion on Can't see Wireless Network on Windows within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have managed to get my wireless router, Sagem, working but I have a couple of queries. I have a ...

Harvey15 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morpeth
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can't see Wireless Network on Windows

I have managed to get my wireless router, Sagem, working but I have a couple of queries. I have a strong connection, fast speeds etc and it all works well. However I cannot find my connection on windows, it comes up WZC Wireless Zero Configuration.
      I followed a link to amend the WZC and it did appear. However although the signal was great, connection strong etc. I could not get my email or browser to connect. In a panic I closed the computer down and upon restart it went back to the previous settings where I could not see it but it works.
      Does it matter that I can't see it or do I leave it alone as it is working?
      Last question, do people recommend changing the Network Key provided by Sky. I have seen different opinions on this.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Can't see Wireless Network on Windows

You don't mention which wireless adapter you are using (or which operating system) so a precise reply is tough.

I suggest you try looking at the user interface supplied by the wireless adapter manufacturer -- personally I find Netgear's wizard preferable to using Windows Zero Config. It may be that this has been set up to disable WZC.

Basically, if your internet works and you don't have any reason to change stuff, don't worry.

Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

at a guess, you have allready setup the connection settings in an application specific to the driver. There is probably some othe application with your settings in.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you follow the old rule 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', you will be OK. WZC can give a lot of problems, mainly where you are in a location with a lot of wireless networks running, if one is stronger than yours, WZC will attempt to connect to it and drop your 'proper' connection. This does not seem to be the case with you, so leave things as they are.

Lastly, you must change the default network key and preferably also the SSID. Keep a good record of the new key and SSID, as if you forget it, you will have to reset the router to get back to the defaults.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Harvey15 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morpeth
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I followed your advice and changed the network key. Everything still works so I will quit tampering whilst everything is working.
      The router is a Sagem one supplied by Sky, I am on Windows XP with a standard Dell laptop. Nothing revolutionary really.