Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Low Sync, Slow Speeds, Router or Line?

This is a discussion on Low Sync, Slow Speeds, Router or Line? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK this is getting pretty silly and in 6 years of having adsl I have never had issues like this ...

IainH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ayr
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Low Sync, Slow Speeds, Router or Line?

OK this is getting pretty silly and in 6 years of having adsl I have never had issues like this with any ISP until now.

OK first off I started on the Connect package when I migrated to Sky. Connection was fine and stable. Due to line length I can only get about 3.5mb which was confirmed by the router stats. Two weeks ago I was moved onto the Sky LLU kit, now note that I was moved and THEN notified 5 days later, the day I was moved to LLU the connection was all over the place with the router loosing connection and sync every so often. It seemed to stabilise until Saturday 3rd May when it took me nearly an hour to get a stable connection so I phoned Sky tech support who took my details and then said someone would phone me back within 48 hours. Well I did get a call back yesterday (Tuesday) by which time my sync was 128kbps down and 96kbps up. Some test were performed and I was told there was a fault with the broadband part of the line and it would be passed onto BT. Well I got a call back from Sky today to say that if there was still a problem I was to phone back. Well on checking the router stats there still is a problem so straight back onto the phone to which I was then told the router was at fault and a new one would be sent out, and I should get it in 3 to 5 days. Just to check the line stats I connected my old Netgear 834G router which syncs fine but again that one shows both up at 128kbps and down sync at 96kbps. Just connected the Sky router again and its showing the exact same stats,

For info the Router Stats show as follows:
      Downstream Connection speed 128kbps
      Line Attenuation 47db
      Noise Margin 31db

Downstream Connection speed 96kbps
      Line Attenuation 15.5db
      Noise Margin 6db

I phoned Sky back to tell them this but they wont do anything until I get the new router. Now I consider myself pretty clued up when I fault with BB occurs, so I've run all the usual diagnostics, changed filter, tried new RJ11 cable, test socket behind the master socket (only have master socket, no extension), disconnected the phone/sky TV box from the filter etc etc etc but I still get the slow speeds sync. So you wise and wonderful bunch out there, what do you think is the fault? Router or line? or something else? My money is on the line but at the moment I am going to have to wait until the new router arrives to check that and I have no doubt I will be straight back onto Sky tech support yet again. Oh and I should point out that Sky wont trust the stats from my Netgear router, only their own 934G which they are still convinced is faulty so they cant even trust that. More delays, I think I would be better off with an ISP that actually gives a **** about their customers. Last time I have a line fault (with an Entanet reseller) BT had it fixed within 48 hours and it was the wiring at the exchange. The way its going to be a week since fault reported before I get the router and then seeing as that probably wont work either, another week of Sky messing about.

Yours with a slow sync

IainH

2. Advertisement
      Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Low Sync, Slow Speeds, Router or Line?

128 down seems like your line has been put into test? Maybe someone else with a bit more knowledge can help

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is almost definitely a fault on your line/exchange. Probably your connection to the Sky DSLAM is faulty. There was a lot of this happening in the early days, but I thought it had been sorted out. Have a look at this thread -
      Discussion on Tie Pairs

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

As you were o.k on connect and now have problems with LLU then it is tie pair or dslam. Now the problem when you are dealing with this at the exchange is you cannot just go and swap feeds around as you like, you can only do what has been instructed by the customer (in this case Sky)
      I am sure you will have to go through the new router route before sky will forward this to openreach.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well its definetly not the router. A work colleague has SkyBB so I popped over to his house to test it and mine works perfectly well on his line. I've tried plugging the router directly into the test socket in the one and only master socket but cant get sync at all, I do get a sync with a microfilter though. Test with 3 of these and its still the same 128kbps down. Up fluctuates from 96 - 128.

Thing is Brian if I have to wait for a new router thats 3 - 5 days, then to find that its still the same slow speeds and disconnections. Then back onto Sky for them to run more line tests and tell me they everything again is fine when it is obviously not. So Sky wasting money on sending me out another router, and my time wasted when I know that someone needs to go look at the exchange end and report back. Wouldnt be the first time that somone messed up the exchange end of the wiring, had the same thing happen when I was with one of the Entanet resellers but that was fixed in 2 days. Starting to wish I had stayed with the reseller now!

Glad I dont run my team the same way as Sky does or I would have end users waiting 3 to 5 days for them to patch a network socket! Oh we dont have any 1m cables only 3m and we have to wait to get 1m ones.... ok you get the drift, I am annoyed.

Thanks all for the advice so far, already been back onto Sky and they couldnt put me through to the magical Customer Solutions Team as the phones were busy but have been asked to call back later on tonight when it should be quieter. Maybe then I can get to talk to someone who can see sense.

Cheers guys!

IainH

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Not so long ago I went to sort out a line problem. The ISP was sky and they had 6 (six) sagem routers sent to them!!.
      I have retired now (yipee) but when I did an activation I used to ring the end user first and If they were going on Sky BB , get them to fit the sky router and check that all was o.k. and if it was not, check out the exchange as far as possible. I know this does not help you , and you are in the hands of sky.
      BTW we are not supposed to ring end users becauses they are not openreach customers, but as I am an old f**t I used to break the rules

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Six routers!!???! Seems very excessive. So any idea why Sky insist on doing that rather than contacting OpenReach? If the end users has checked, rechecked and then triple checked and everything is ok the only thing left is the exchange end.

One additional thing I tried tonight was the router directly into the test socket with no filter. Now I've done this before and always got sync fine, this time the router doesnt even attempt a sync so no flashing lights, nothing. Stick the filter in the link and it syncs with the usual 128 down.

Any chance I could talk you out of retirement and taking a wee trip up to Ayr Brian?? Theres a good bottle of malt whisky in it for you! Glenturret ok for you?

Cheers

IainH
      Last edited by IainH; 08-05-08 at 12:05 AM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

because procedure says they have to rule out faulty equipment at the EU end first as if it's proven that the fault is a knackered router Sky get a HUGE bill from BT...

regarding low sync, you are on test speed but you should be on 128 up and down, the fact you aren't on the upstream and ur SNR is low suggests a line fault. does it go to 128 up in the test socket?

give it a go and if it does the issue firstly lies with with the wiring your end, and then Sky can raise the speed (stats would show Max Rate of the line)...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

So any idea why Sky insist on doing that rather than contacting OpenReach?
      It costs Sky a lot of money to call out BTO, much more than the cost of a couple of routers, but you have to question why they continue sending out routers when it is obvious the router is not the problem. It comes down to lack of proper training. It seems, apart from being able to read and speak English after a fashion, no qualifications are required for Tier 1.

If you manage to get through to CST, you are more likely to get someone who knows what they are talking about. If you manage to get that far, you can usually have a decent conversation and get something done. In your case, telling them that your router works on a different connection would be enough to convince them that it was the line/exchange that had the problem. You should give them a ring and see if you can get past T1.

When you connected the router direct to the test socket did you use a dial-up modem type cable or a phone cable? I have found that the latter does not always work as it should for some reason.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Upstream tends to waver between 96 and 128 and it doesnt matter if its in the test socket or not. One of the microfilter I use the cable between socket and filter is removable an is RJ11 to standard BT so I used that when testing but as I descibed previously I didnt get any sync, only getting sync when the filter is in place. I dont have any other phone extension wiring in the house, everyting goes directly into the master socket.

I did speak to someone in CST about 11pm last night and mentioned the tie pair and dslam that Brian mentioned in his post. The guy was pretty clued up and tried to stop the issue of the new router but its already being processed so it looks like I'm going to have to wait until that arrives, plug that in to find its still got a low sync and then get back onto Sky to report another fault. Worse case I'm going to be stuck with this low sync for 2 weeks since initially reporting a fault.

Feel like I am banging my head of a brick wall with this!
      Cheers again

IainH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast