Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Losing connection

This is a discussion on Losing connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Have you done the checks that the guy in the other thread has tried, connecting to the test socket etc? ...

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Losing connection

Have you done the checks that the guy in the other thread has tried, connecting to the test socket etc? Most of these type of problems are caused by a drop in the noise margin on the phone line, caused by line noise which doe's increase at night with more people on the network and an increase in RF noise like on an AM radio. It would definately be worth discounting problems in your house by trying the test socket, as Sky's normal fix for this would be to cap your speed down until the problem "line noise" goe's away.

2. Advertisement
      pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've not tried that as of yet, however I've done some digging.

I managed to get in to my router using my Nokia N95. It still refused the laptop but allowed me in with my mobile for a few minutes before it chucked me out and refused the phone too.

Checking the log on the router I found this
      08:20 - LCP down.
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:23 - Initialize LCP.
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:23 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:26 - CHAP authentication success
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:31 - LCP down.
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:32 - Initialize LCP.
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:32 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:35 - CHAP authentication success
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:38 - LCP down.
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:39 - Initialize LCP.
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:39 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Sat, 2008-05-10 22:08:42 - CHAP authentication success
      The LCP error messages appeared around 22:00 which is the exact time this problem starts each night. So on to google and I found the following,

DG834GT LCP is down? - Page 2 - NETGEAR Forums which mentions Sky as the ISP and the same error message and says it's a problem at the exchange.

If this is a problem at the exchange it may also explain why there are 2 users on this site who live within 5 minutes of each other experiencing this very same problem every night at 10pm.

So is it a problem at the exchange and if it is, how on earth do I get Sky 'technical' support to listen to me or get anywhere with it?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I've googled the phrase "LCP IS DOWN SKY" and it's amazing how many others have had, or have, this problem with Sky as their ISP. It's also worrying reading how many are struggling to get any sense from Sky Support

I found this though, which adds further to my thoughts above
      Basically, it is a problem with the Sky hardware equipment at the Long Eaton exchange which I’m connected to. The guy said he can telnet to the DSLammer (I think that’s what its called) at the exchange and see that myself and 43 other people are experiencing the same problem. We are all connected into a card which is faulty and engineers are trying to rectify the problem right now. This actually does make sense as my brother is on the next street to me, connected into the same exchange and has just gone on to Sky Broadband with a very smooth transition (must be a different card to me). I asked the advisor in his experience how long will it be before the problem is resolved, he said if they’ve not fixed it by say between 6 and 8pm tonight they will simply swap out the card for a new one.
      Sky's Non-Technical TECHNICAL Support Line! - Sky Broadband - Digital Spy Forums

Which again makes me think it's a problem at my exchange. Now how to get Sky to check it out?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

LCP is Down simply means that the connection to the exchange has been lost. I doubt if it is any more common with Sky than any ISP, if you search for 'LCP is down Tiscali' for instance, you will find page after page of complaints.

The fact that you are close to another member with the same symptom, could mean a problem at the exchange or some EM(?)source kicking in at the same time every night. A large Bingo/Movie hall turning on it's extractors for example, could be causing very bad interference on the phone line. If it is something like this then it is almost impossible to fix. A similar thing happens near Xmas when all the seasonal lights are on, some people suffer terribly from this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I've just updated the other thread with this, so here we go,

Something really weird happened tonight though, I called Sky again but this time I got really helpful staff!

The first call a woman answered, actually listened to my problem and asked me to try a few things then call back. I did that and when I called the second time another helpful person answered who listened to me and although they didn't quite understand everything they happily put me through to a higher level of technical support who were extremely helpful and even called me back after doing checks. My belief in Sky is rekindled

When I called last night it seemed like I went to a foreign call centre, but tonight I was definitely speaking to people in the UK. Does that sound possible? There was a massively difference between the two call centres and after tonight I won't be cancelling my Sky broadband because they actually listened to me and were extremely helpful.

The techie said they reckoned it was either my router or the exchange at fault, but as someone else close by is having the problem it looked more like an exchange issue. They said they'd send me a new router to make sure, but would also contact the BT / exchange side of the operation to make sure things were ok and get them to look in to it. They were also aware of issues at my exchange earlier last week which may explain why this problem has been with me for nearly a week now.

Although the person living near me, on another thread on this site, is living in an area that's serviced by another exchange it's still possible that there are local issues affecting us as we live so close.

Another thing is that tonight's outage appears to have only been about 2 hours. My internet is now back up. It went off bang on 22:00 and came back about 10 minutes ago. Not sure if this is Sky fixing things or if whatever's causing this problem has ended for tonight.

I'll be getting a call tomorrow night from Sky with a further update, so hopefully we'll get this sorted asap. I have faith in them again

Mark is offline Skyuser IRC Admin
      Exchange: Northern
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Update on my stats

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 106:48:26
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 761504 1091412 0 809 5663 50:50:04
      LAN 100M/Full 7162779 5753609 0 6950 7227 106:48:22
      WLAN 11M/54M 24677 0 0 9 0 106:40:54
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15323 kbps 762 kbps
      Line Attenuation 18 db 3.5 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 18 db

Seems to be running great

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've had a result, one of the problems I have with my Sky BB connection is solved.

If anyone's experiencing similar problems, such as no internet at the same hour or two each night, get Sky to get someone out to check your exchange. The one that serves my area was faulty and is now fixed.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

Manc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Denton - Manchester
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pebbleheed View Post
      I've had a result, one of the problems I have with my Sky BB connection is solved.

If anyone's experiencing similar problems, such as no internet at the same hour or two each night, get Sky to get someone out to check your exchange. The one that serves my area was faulty and is now fixed.
      Hey Peebleheed, sorry I haven't responded earlier but I have been that ****** off with how my issue is going nowhere fast I haven't read these boards for fear of going postal.

I'm glad part of your problem is now sorted, however I'm sad to report mine is just as bad, but add to that 6 tickets, all closed by Customer Solutions in the assumption they have fixed my issue, me attempting to be put through to someone I could make a complaint to but instead put through to 4 wrong departments before I hung up & on all this whilst I was trying to VPN to work as I am support this weekend .. well you get the picture.

So here is a very very brief summary so far:-

6 tickets, all closed, none with my permission (do these people not follow the likes of ITIL or any general Service Level Management) ?
      Having to go through the same speech every night for the last 6 weeks give or take the odd night where I just didn't have the energy to call them.
      Being spoken to like a muppet or by muppets who ensure me they will update there call notes with exactly what they are doing & we are discussing, only to call back the following night to be asked the same stuff over again & when I ask when the last call update was they tell me 2 days ago.
      Various other departments promising to call me back within 72 hours, none did, though I suspect this is because Customer Solutions didn't escalate it like they said they had.
      I could go on but I feel the rage welling up inside so better not.

To be fair I've spoken to a couple of good guys in Customer Solutions, one in particular called Liam, apart from that I've just been lied to & generally ****** about. And to top it all off I can't even speak to someone to make a complaint successfully.

I know alot about IT Service Management, I'm a Service Desk Manager for the Fire Service, I've worked in IT for over 10 years in the Private & now Public sector & if anyone in my team treated a user the way I have they would have had there **** kicked. It's basically one of the worst customer experiences I have ever heard of let alone experienced first hand.

Now to the problem, loads of disconnects due to the noise margin dropping out, originally happened around 10'ish every night, this can now happen whenever it sees fit. I dropped an hour ago 3 times, last night around 12, had a replacement router, plugged into the test socket, used various filters, no other sockets around the house, wired, you name it I've trouble shot it. Nothing has changed, they dropped me from just under 17mb to 6, same issue, also tried 16mb, 14mb, 12mb, 10mb & 8mb, same problem.

One chap told me this was going to the BT team & I would (lmao) get a call back in 72 hours, that was just short of 2 weeks ago & there's been many calls between me & Sky since then.

Now please bare in mind, up to 6 weeks ago I had a stable connection for 6 months, never dropped, connected at just short of 17mb (I live 700 yards from my exchange) & I have changed NOTHING, it just started dropping out & well the rest is a very messy history.

If anyone from Customer solutions or Sky read this then please help me.

ophiuchus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oswestry
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had the exact same issue with BT but got nowhere for 6 months. Left them for Sky and not had a problem. I know Manc and it does seem that hes got it worse that what I did at BT, though I complained far less

If there isnt much here on the full complaints procedure then I'll go and have a look and see what I can find on high level sky CS and possible corporate mail bombs.

I know there are a couple of Sky staffers here, any advise on following complaints would be helpful.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Mi Manc,

I know exactly what you mean about tickets being closed without the problem being resolved, it happened to me 3 times! Each time I called customer support it was frustrating to be told "they've closed your ticket because the fault was resolved". Since when?? Surely I wouldn't be wasting my time calling them, yet again, if the problem was resolved. I would suggest a tip for them would be to call the customer to check if it's resolved before closing tickets and making everyone start from scratch again.

The call backs depend on who's working on your ticket. I was very lucky to get someone called Paul in the real technical team (as in the group that actually know what they are talking about rather than just reading scripts). He does call you back and is very helpful. This person should be cloned and used to replace all the less than useful people currently working there. Unfortunately other members of his team don't call back when they say, again adding further frustration to the problem.

Just a tip, a text message to your phone saying the problem is resolved instead of a phone call doesn't make things ok. Especially when the problem clearly has not been resolved!!

I'm similar to you in that I used to work in IT too (again at management level). I left it over a year ago to do something in public services, but had I have dealt with people how the majority of Sky support deal with people then I'd have received a P45 and rightly so too.

It appears the way to get Sky to fix problems is to constantly keep on at them. Don't accept the offer of a call back and never put up with the script reading parrots in cases like this when what you really need is the knowledge of the people who know what they are talking about further up the chain.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234