Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Losing connection

This is a discussion on Losing connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; add another one to the list, since the upgrade my connection keeps dropping, i don't think it is related to ...

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Losing connection

add another one to the list, since the upgrade my connection keeps dropping, i don't think it is related to the router though as it still does it with a none sky router as well - it must be some setup they have done their end to manage the new firmware connection, if they don't sort it out soon i'm off. Sky's tect support answer to this is to knock off 1 mB off your speed (so be careful if you phone them) - the lower speed did not fix it by the way so i had a major problem getting them to resore it.

Soemthing certainly seems to have gone amiss

2. Advertisement
      dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have discovered why my connection drops, it is really weird and some insight would be welcome for when i phone sky. Basically, my neigbour has sky when he starts his router up my connection between the router and sky drops - we then play "lets sync" for as long as it takes for one of us to become cheesed-off and turns the router off.

My neigbnour has just gone out for the last 3 hours and his router is off ( i can tell that becuase he luckily transmits his ssid with the sky format (for example, skyxxx) - strangley enough my connection is rock solid as it was when i was using it first thing this morning before he switched his router on.

As anyone else come across this behaviour and what if could be causing it? Sky's tech help solution to any problem is just to cap you by whopping-off 1mb of sync - hardly the solution to the problem as it didn't fix it!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you certain you are loosing your Internet connection and not just the Wireless connection? Check the internet light on the router to see if it is on, if you don't have a wired connection to check it.

If it is the wireless that is dropping, try changing the router's channel to at least 3 places away from your neighbour's. Download and install NetStumbler it will show you which channels are interfering and also the best place to site your router/PC. In some cases a move of a few inches can make a difference.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Manc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Denton - Manchester
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have a similar problem as the OP so I'll tag my issue here rather than start yet another thread.

My problem started 4 weeks ago, I was suddenly dropping connection in the evening, usually after 10pm. Having read this forum many times I knew of the noise issue so I ran the stats window on another monitor & noted that every time my noise margin dropped below 7db my connection would bomb out. It'd either restore itself at 8db or I would have to power cycle it. I found it odd as I'd had months of no problems at all (apart from some teething issue's when switching from connect to Max).

So I tried the usual, plugged into the master socket rather than the ADSL faceplate I have, still happened, rang Sky & Customer Solutions who tweaked a few things at there end, namely dropped my connection from 17mb to 12mb (I am 700 yards from my exchange), still happened. I then upgraded to the new firmware from here (thanks for that btw), no different.

In the end Customer Solutions gave in & agreed to send me the new router which I've had plugged in for the last 3 days, has it worked, has it feck !!!

The interesting bit is that when I get the disconnects now instead of the noise margin dropping below 7db (I have a pretty steady 15db on the new router) it shoots up to the following unbelievable number 2147483646db ... yes thats 2147483646 db !!!! I copied & pasted that btw.

So after god knows how many calls my issue has today been escalated to God, I assume it's God as there's no direct number & I have to wait for him to contact me. I'll report back when the Divine one has graced me with a visit.

My stats are as follows:-

Connection Speed
      Downstream - 12890 (formally 16989)
      Upstream - 764

Line Attenuation - 23 db Down - 6 db Up

Noise Margin - 15 db Down - 18 db Up

If anyone has any suggestion then please let me know.

Thanks,

Manc.

Thanks

@Manc
      If you have an old type V1 ADSL faceplate, it could have developed a fault, so bypassing this is always a good troubleshooting step. When you say you plugged in to the Master socket, did you mean the Test socket behind the Master socket faceplate. If not then that is what you should try. There is always a chance that something has gone wrong with your internal wiring which is causing the problem, it is always better to check this first. As you are capped your connection speed will not incrase, but if there is a rise in your noise margin, that indicates problems with your wiring.

The very large figure you are seeing means the Noise Margin has dropped to a negative value which the router cannot display. It is unusual for this router to drop out at 7dbs, it has been known to maintain a connection right down to zero.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply. It is the old V1 Faceplate, but yes I meant the Test Socket & thats what I've been using for a week or two now. Well I think I have, I assume its the one directly behind the old V1 ADSL socket ?

Cheers.

Manc.

Thanks

Yes, that will be the master. Any other will not have the socket behind the plate.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Hi Manc.
      Apart from the master socket, do you have any other telephone sockets? do they stop working when you are connected to the test socket? I only ask because you say you have been connected to the test socket for the last week.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes then it's definitely the test socket & no I don't have any others in the house (ADSL/BT ones anyway - I have 2 older Cable ones).

Since posting it's bombed out twice again & just the ADSL, the phone line is fine.

Rebooted the router again & have a steady 15 db. 3 times it's bombed today I was playing an online game, I would ask if this may have something to do with it but it wouldn't then explain why it drops in the early hours too when the PC isn't even switched on (I know this by checking the uptime btw).

I connect my 2 PC's to the router via ethernet & at any given time there can be 3 others connected wirelessly (the kids PC's & my works Lappy), but the disconnects generally happen when I have only my two connected late in the evening, though today seems to be the exception to that rule as it's just my PC's & works lappy but it's during the day.

Thanks again for the replies guys.

Manc.

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Manc,

Very interested to read you have the same problem as me with Sky Broadband and that it also occurs for you at around 10pm. This is the exact thing and time that happens to me.

What makes this very interesting though is that I live in Manchester too and live about 5 minutes drive away from Denton which is where you appear to live.

I wonder if there's a problem with our local exchange or if this is a problem related to the area we live in??

My problem is described at this thread, but it sounds pretty much the same as yours.

I've just checked online to see which exchange I connect to and it appears to be the one at Ashton.
      Last edited by pebbleheed; 11-05-08 at 01:02 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast