Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting the merry-go-round treatment

This is a discussion on Getting the merry-go-round treatment within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok as our year was up with Sky and I am fairly unimpressed with the service we're getting I was ...

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Getting the merry-go-round treatment

Ok as our year was up with Sky and I am fairly unimpressed with the service we're getting I was looking at moving to o2 as it would be cheaper with a lot better upload for gaming.

I phone o2 to see if they are in our area and they get a system message saying that there is "an incompatable product on the line" I explain that is probably Sky and he said it now says his system says to call BT to get this problem resolved and they can't proceed with this error.

I then call BT who said to call Sky as they are my provider and then when I call Sky to find out what is going on they say I have to phone BT wholesale myself.

So I am now getting annoyed It seems that I can't move from Sky as there is a "problem" on the line yet nobody wants to take ownership of this and it looks like I'm now stuck with Sky wether I like it or not.

Any thoughts anybody?
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Getting the merry-go-round treatment

Reading your whole post, have you found out yet if o2 llu is in your area?

Check samknows to see if it is. If it is, then you need to get a mac code from sky for o2 to process the migration. If o2 still give you the run around then you will need to escalate thru the o2 tech area...... however, if o2 cant get this bit right, then do you really want to risk signing a 12mth contract with them?

Will the grass actually be greener on the other side, or is it just pie in the sky?

Thanks

yup O2 (and Be of course) is installed I was checking to see if they had any spaces.

When I go to the Be website I get:

There is an incompatible product on your line

It appears that you have an incompatible product on your telephone line. Please contact BT Retail (150 from a landline) to find out what the issue might be. We won't be able to accept or progress your order unless your line shows up as a normal BT phone line without any other services or products that are incompatible with providing you with our broadband. Due to Data Protection, BT will not be able to give us any information about your line so unfortunately we are not able to do this on your behalf.

I assume that it is the Sky tag which obviously should be there as I am still a sky customer.

As you said they guy at O2 should have been able to check the exchange at least rather than just getting an error as I am on another LLU.

For me the reasons for wanting to go is that their upload is 1.3 meg/sec up with 8 meg download for 7.50 (wife is o2 subscriber), O2 has free customer service, and apart from this issue today O2 has always been great servicewise they even gave the wife a load of money when they made a small mistake with the contract last year (and we didn't ask for any they threw it in as a goodwill gesture.)

I knew in the past that going from LLU to LLU was not possible but I thought it had been "sorted" and that with a MAC code it would be sorted.

Oh well we'll get a MAC from Sky next week and see if O2 wants to play silly bar stewards when we give them it. (frankly we have never moved ISP's without weeks of trouble so I assume it will be the same as before.)

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

it might be the Sky phone service - I assume you have Sky Talk??
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

No I have the BT option 3 phone package, anytime for 6/month, after the fairly dismal connection process for the broadband we decided not to move to Sky talk.

Either that or it is down to when we had to have a new phone card installed at the exchange and the BT engineer hasn't done the job properly, although I am no engineer and I don't know if changing parts in the exchange would do that.

Thanks

usually, these issues need to be taken up with BT - it might be something like caller ID or something...only other thing could be due to it being LLU to LLU but i can't see that being the issue...

thread 8 in THIS forum explains possible reasons...just google 'BT incompatible product' and it'll bring up more sites...
      Last edited by IWasNotTheEnemy; 04-05-08 at 09:38 PM.

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Ah I did sign up for the BT privacy thing when it came out years ago and that has caller ID built in for free. (cos I'm a cheapskate) and it wasn't a problem when I moved from BT to Sky.

I'll email BT and Sky and see if anybody there can shed light on it next week, am going to be busy as I have an audition on Tuesday at the BBC.

Thanks

Did what somebody else suggested on the AV forums and went to the other ISP's on the list that are in my area.

All the others showed broadband on the line but no incompatable products (AOL went as far to ask for my MAC code) so I geuss that O2/Be are seeing the LLU and reporting it wrong as incompatable as opposed to broadband.

Sigh as RedDwarfCrew has said if they can't even report my line status correctly doesn't look too good for O2 does it?

Thanks

unless you're willing to have downtime...no

Thanks

No I can't really, in the last 18 months we have gone completely paperless for our utility bills, we are getting about 10/month off for doing so.

The only paper bill we get now is for the O2 contract, and so I daren't muck it up again swapping otherwise we'll be in a right mess.

Thanks to IANTE and Red for suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast