Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

does radio interference affect broadband speed ?

This is a discussion on does radio interference affect broadband speed ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi..does radio interference affect broadband connection speeds?..i have had terrible interference on analogue radios plugged into sockets & also portable ...

worcesterman47 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: charles street 01905 724
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

does radio interference affect broadband speed ?

hi..does radio interference affect broadband connection speeds?..i have had terrible interference on analogue radios plugged into sockets & also portable radios ( just in my house) for the last 3 days or so, neighbours had no problems, so i traced the interference by switching every thing off 1 by 1 in the house..the item causing the intereference was a digi box (old)..when it was unplugged from the wall socket interference stopped..i am now replacing the old digi box...i noticed that my broadband speed was severly affected down from a average 15,300.to around 9000 to 10000(on router settings page), also by doing several speed tests my speed varies from 2mb (approx) to 6 or 7 mb ( approx ) i know testers are not reliable for "actual" speeds but i never got results like these until the interference started... so, final question is...could this be a nasty coincidence or does anyone know for sure that my interference problem WILL cause slow broadband speed ?...phew !!!!!!! many thanks in advance for any advice, help or suggestions

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: does radio interference affect broadband speed ?

interferance of this kind, both mains borne and radio can cause big problems with broadband. I'm glad you found the cause and did not phone sky, as they may have capped your speed in an attempt to mask any line problems. Is everything back to normal now?

Thanks

hello brian ( again ...thanks for the reply...was a bit concerned about the broadband connection coincidently happening same time as the radio interference thats why i thought i would ask the experts on here ( glad you found my question ....at the moment all is not sorted...as the faulty digi box is used by my elderly mother in law ( she is italian..speaks no english) to watch italian tv....i have ordered a new digi box and hopefully when i have installed it all will be fine & no interference...will let you know one way or other...give regards to the cambridge crew from me & a big thanks again to you for your reply...cheers & bye for now

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You do have a filter on the digibox? There is also a chance that something is loose in your electrical circuit, which could cause interference on the radio and possibly the BB. Difficult to check, if you are not an electrician, but you could check all you plug tops, to make sure there are no loose screws in them.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Placehold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If your using wireless and the signal is on a pirated radio wave then it is possible that the frequency can slow your connection from the router to PC and back.

This however does not effect overall performance for line speed

regards

P

Thanks

definately digi box causing radio interference....changed box & set it up ...radio interference totally gone and speeds back to what they were before my problem....cheers guys once again for all the help ( oh and you brian i guess

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Jolly good. Electrical interferance can be a real bugger to trace, so you did very well to sort this. As I said before, telling Sky (or any other ISP) is sure to muddy the waters so if you ever suspect that this may be a problem (drop in connection when the heating comes on, that sort of thing) then always try to solve the problem yourself, or at least identify the cause.
      I am retired now, so Mrs Brian has got loads of jobs for me to do and suddenly all our friends and neighbours have Broadband problems. Never worked so hard