Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is there anything I can do for this?

This is a discussion on Is there anything I can do for this? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK, my broadband is fine. Problem is, when I first phoned Sky to join up I wanted to go on ...

vandal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Is there anything I can do for this?

OK, my broadband is fine. Problem is, when I first phoned Sky to join up I wanted to go on the 5 a month MID package. However, they said there were no spaces at my exchange (can anyone explain what this means). So as a "stop gap" I would be put on Sky Connect for three months which is 17. After that period I will be switched to the MID package automatically and begin to be charged only 5.

That was over 6 months ago. I've repeatedly phone Sky and asked them why I'm still not on MID and they just tell me there's still no room at the exchange and there's nothing they can do.

Is there something I can do about this? It's really annoying to be lied to blatently by the initial assistant and be told I would only pay 17 for 3 months.

Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Re: Is there anything I can do for this?

the same as if you go to your local shop to buy an item and the shelf is empty.... you can go to another shop and find stock on the shelf.

An exchange can only provide so many connections until they add more equipment (ie its sold out until they get more stock in!).

astra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYELL
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

but to show good willing they should only charge you 5 pound untill they migrate you over too llu MID package

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

why? they do already of they expect to upgrade your exchgange in the next 6mths. but if they dont have those plasn then they wont. remember sky have to pay BT a lot more than 5 to lease the connect product from them.

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The thing is, there is nothing that can be done for the OP until Sky actually install more kit in the exchange. It is a lengthy task getting the work done, always assuming that there is actual physical room in the exchange to house more DSLAM equipment. And that last is not a problem of Sky's making. But yes, I do think a written note to Sky would not go amiss, rather than a phone call. At least there is a record.

But generally, as soon as Sky increase capacity they tend to recover the customers who have been provisioned across BT Connect as there is a big financial incentive to do so.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

So as a "stop gap" I would be put on Sky Connect for three months which is 17. After that period I will be switched to the MID package automatically and begin to be charged only 5.
      Do you have written evidence of this? If so you have a good case for compensation, possibly being put on the 5 package.

As the OP is being charged 17 for his package, I have to disagree that Sky have a 'financial incentive'. You can be sure Sky are paying BT nothing like 17 for the connection, so are making a profit on this user, which they would not do on 5 Mid. If he were being charged the 5 discounted rate, then they would have an incentive to change him over asap.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

vandal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

I don't doubt that Sky would move me over if/when space arrises (well a small doubt they would do it automatically) but they could tell me there's no room from now to eternity without me having any way to disprove them. Unfortunatly I don't have written proof of what the assistant told me whilst buying the service. This was all done on the phone.

Is there any way to tell if any room does arise at an exchange? Is there somewhere I can contact to ask when they have plans to add more space?

What's annoying is that I'm no more than 3 miles from the centre of Manchester, you'd think only people in rural areas would have "no room" at the exchange.
      Last edited by vandal; 02-05-08 at 06:44 PM.

Placehold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If an exchange is full or they dont have equiptment in that exchange then they try to relocate some of the users to another near by exchange.

If it is that sky dont have more equiptment then they will be waiting for more demand. As far as the offer goes it doesnt actually tell sky when an exchange is due to upgrade or change (i.e 4 months time etc). They can only add the subscription and if you were due for upgrade then it would have been the connect package at 5 per month as the exchange was being upgraded at that point. Call them and speak to BB customer services about reducing the billing

When they upgrade the exchange or move you to another exchange this happens automatically for all users and shouldn't interupt their service for more than 8hrs at the most

regards

P

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If an exchange is full or they dont have equiptment in that exchange then they try to relocate some of the users to another near by exchange.
      This would be BT then? There is no way that Sky can move you from one exchange to another, for one thing it would mean a change of phone number, which many would object to.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Placehold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah, sky can request the change if there is alot of bookings in one area but it would be BT that makes the actual descision to move it

Regards

P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast