Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Broadband disconnects when phone is used

This is a discussion on Broadband disconnects when phone is used within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, Ive had sky broadband for a week now and the first couple of days things were not bad, ...

rambo2191 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Broadband disconnects when phone is used

Hi guys, Ive had sky broadband for a week now and the first couple of days things were not bad, I did have the odd disconnections and that with my routers light turning amber and then being asked to enter a username and password from the MS passport service and then once i clicked cancel on that it would say error 404. Within a minute the internet would reconnect.

But then all of a sudden yesterday every time somebody answered the phone, the router would disconnect and again the MS Passport log in thing would pop up again, and while on the phone i could hear the router trying to reconnect with that weird noise you hear. My master socket is downstairs in the hallway and theres a cable with a filter built in running upstairs to my bedroom where it connects to the router. Although the internet would disconnect last week when I first got it, there didnt seem to be any interuptions because of the phone being used until now.

Here are my router stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8096 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25.0 db 14.0 db
      Noise Margin 11.9 db 14.0 db

Also here is some stuff from the security log from after I used the phone:

Apr 29 12:04:09 (none) user.crit kernel: ADSL G.994 training
      Apr 29 12:04:09 (none) daemon.crit pppd[619]: Clear IP addresses. Connection DOWN.
      Apr 29 12:04:09 (none) daemon.crit pppd[619]: Clear IP addresses. PPP connection DOWN.
      Apr 29 12:04:25 (none) user.crit kernel: ADSL G.992 started
      Apr 29 12:04:27 (none) user.crit kernel: ADSL G.992 channel analysis
      Apr 29 12:04:32 (none) user.crit kernel: ADSL G.992 message exchange
      Apr 29 12:04:32 (none) user.crit kernel: ADSL link up, interleaved, us=768, ds=8096
      Apr 29 12:04:49 (none) daemon.crit pppd[619]: PPP LCP UP.
      Apr 29 12:04:50 (none) daemon.crit pppd[619]: Received valid IP address from server. Connection UP.

Any help would be appreciated guys, thanks : )

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Broadband disconnects when phone is used

Try it on the main socket without extension, only have the filter, router and telephone plugged in. Extensions have a habit of causing this sort of issue, the other thing that can cause it is the filter failing so you may want to switch to a new filter. Is that the only socket in the house?
      Also do you have Sky tv and if so is it plugged into the tel line? If it is then is it plugged into the filter or into the main socket on the wall?

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

best ting to do it get on the phone to Sky. I'm currently having the exact problem! There busy sorting it out with BT etc. Have you tried pluggin it into your TEST socket?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Try it on the main socket without extension, only have the filter, router and telephone plugged in. Extensions have a habit of causing this sort of issue, the other thing that can cause it is the filter failing so you may want to switch to a new filter. Is that the only socket in the house?
      Also do you have Sky tv and if so is it plugged into the tel line? If it is then is it plugged into the filter or into the main socket on the wall?
      Well theres two phone sockets in the house and there pretty much a few metres apart, was like that when we moved in, and the sky tv is also in my room and that is what the extension cable was originally put in place for but I have disconnected the sky tv cable from the filter.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I took the router downstairs and connected it to the master socket and then connected to the internet through wireless on my other computer and the signal status is very good which is suprising because it was very low when the router was upstairs 5 metres away connected to my main computer. Ive used the phone and theres been no problems at all. So theres obviously a fault with the extension filter running upstairs which the sky tv engineer installed. I think I should get a new phone socket installed upstairs and phoned BT to ask how much it would cost and they said I can either do it myself or pay 160 which i am not going to pay. Any suggestions guys?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you can keep your router next to the master socket, here's what to do
      (1) If you have a NTE-5 master socket, get a filter faceplate.
      (2) Put router close to filter and connect to router to filter with a nice short lead.
      (3) Connect router to computer by cable or mains network adaptors, use wireless only as a last resort.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I cant keep the router downstairs as I use wired connection through ethernet cable to connect to my main computer and xbox so I think getting a new phone socket in my room is the best option but theres no way im going to pay 160 for BT to come and install one.

Thanks

Ok then, Have a think about this.
      (1) get filter faceplate (XTE-2005 from ADSL Nation)

(2) Run an extension from this to the router. You can get all you need to do this from ADSL Nation.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I fixed the problem I was having when the phone was being answered and its ok now as I replaced the filter. But Im on Max and Sky told me my line can support speeds up to 6.5kbps and Im getting about 8mb. When using the extension cable the wireless signal from the router to my other computer is very poor. The distance from my house to the telephone exchange is 1.5km and my line attenuation is 25.0 db is my speeds normal or should I be getting much better speeds? Thanks.

Thanks

Could you post up your router stats (just the line ones will do) when your router is connected to the test socket of your master telephone socket. If you do not have a NTE-5 master, then could you post up your stats when connected to the master, with everthing else disconnected.

If you do have a NTE-5 master, could you check that all your other telephone sockets are dead (no dial tone) when you are connected to the test socket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast