Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sorry, just something thats bugging me a little!

This is a discussion on Sorry, just something thats bugging me a little! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I come on here quite often, and I see people saying that they connected at 16.3mbps, or that they used ...

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Sorry, just something thats bugging me a little!

I come on here quite often, and I see people saying that they connected at 16.3mbps, or that they used to connect at 16.3mbps, or something along those lines.

Now, even though your router shows speeds of 16384kbps or here abouts, this does not equate to 16.3mbps. 16384kbps is exactly 16mbps. Remember 1mbps is 1024kbps, not 1000kbps. so 16mbps is not 16000kbps, and you dont then add the 384kbps as 0.3mbps.

I know its a bit anally retentive on my part, but we get it on the phones too and i sorta winds me up sometimes. Jus though I would throw some education into the mix.

p.s. I know that technically broadband speeds are not actually megabytes per second (Mbps) but technically Mibibytes per second (Mibps) so before someone posts up, im not mentioning it because I'm not that anally retentive)

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sorry, just something thats bugging me a little!

Although this has been 'done to death' on the forum I have to point out to you that 16mbps is 16000kbps. 16 MBs is equivalent to 16384 KBs. Because Sky use this conversion does not make it correct. You are in fact mixing up kilobits and Kilobytes. The first is a measurement of communications data speed and the second a measurement of storage or capacity.

If you have a download speed of 16mbps you are able to download 1.9073 MBs each second.

This has been fully explained by James in several previous posts.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.