Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speeds just dropped

This is a discussion on Speeds just dropped within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Just wondering if anyone else noticed that thier speeds have gone haywire in the last 2 weeks? I ...

AbernusUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gateshead
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Speeds just dropped

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else noticed that thier speeds have gone haywire in the last 2 weeks?

I used to have a good 4Mb connection, I went to Londond for a weekend break and came back to find I have a download speed on newsgroups of about 100kbps

I have checked on Sam knows and it reports that I can get at least a 2.5Mb connection on the Gateshead exchange. Calls to Sky Tech Support have told me my max connection is 2.0Mb and that the line is pushing through over this. Now this was the case when I first got sky and getting them to cap the line at 3.5Mb worked.
      But why now should my line of dropped even lower and why should I now have to ask for it capped at 2.0Mb???

I find myself again on hold while I type this

On to my connection details: Every PC (3 in total) in the house is on a wired connection. The router is connected to the master socket. Here are the connection stats:

Downstream:

Connection Speed: 3776 kbps
      Line Attenuation: 48.0 db
      Noise Margin: 15.4 db

upstream:

Connection Speed: 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation: 31.5 db
      Noise Margin: 20.0 db

Can anyone suggest why I get slow internet speeds and very bad lag while gaming?

2. Advertisement
      Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Speeds just dropped

It looks to me like you have been capped - usually due to line errors.

have you got the router plugged into the master test socket

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the line cant be capped as you're on Connect - as such the line trains up at the best speed the line will allow...

try THIS site, entering your phone number and then your username (yourmacaddress@skydsl) and see what your IP profile is - anything from 2500-3000kbps is normal for your sync speed and it's just that you might being throttled...

also, remember - any changed to line setup will take 3 days to adjust so moving to your master if you weren't there before won't improve until 3 days have passed...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

There have been quite a few reports about speed dropping with Connect users. There is a good chance that BT are throttling bandwidth guzzling applications like P2P and torrents etc.

Power your router off for a minute to allow it to re-sync with the exchange. With BT's new equipment it may just take a few hours to retrain, rather than the full 3 days is used to take.

Take the BT Test to get your profile and speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.