Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SkyBB Mid Question

This is a discussion on SkyBB Mid Question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Have your stats improved since the rewiring?...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: SkyBB Mid Question

Have your stats improved since the rewiring?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Insectwarfare is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Slade Green
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Nope. not a single bit. I'm pretty much convinced i've been capped.

I got through to tier 1 only last night around 11pm, CST was too busy to take my call.

But the lady told me there seems to be something wrong at the exchange according to the notes on her screen.

They can't do tone tests on my line, and according to their info i don't even seem to be connected at the exchange either... yet i'm online, phone works fine.

When i opened the box, the blue/white band wire and white/blue band wire were both connected directly to points A and B on the image i linked. i re-wired it as per the image and other info i researched online, but the junction box has seen better days, so i'm going to replace this also at some point in the next few days.

I know this is all against BT's regulations, but my dad isn't bothered and the state the wiring was in it was in need of re-positioning and tidying up.

He pointed out that i am obsessed with it at the moment too haha which i am, it's bugging me to death!

Gonna try CST tonight, and see if anything has happened, changed, improved and why they can't seem to do tests at all.

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If you can phone them usually around 9AM - 1PM you usually get put though instantly.

naza911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stechford
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Looking at what they have said to you on the various times you have called them and emailed them, it seems to ring a bell. They pretty much gave me exactly the same script when I had max delays reduced. Basically my line does not cope to well with low interleaving levels. When they reduced the interleaving depth they capped the speed to 998kbps, lost 1800kbkps. They also said to me that I was not connected to the internet, but did a test which said the router was there. After a few weeks they removed the cap totally. It took several calls to get the cap increased from 998kbps to 2048kbps to 2400kbps back down to 1024kbps before finally getting the cap set to 8128kbps. So I would say it is capped and you are going to have to keep on trying. Leave you wiring alone and tell them that before they messed with your line your were getting 4mbps or something, or say last week you were. They have no records of your sync speed. That is the only way they would remove the limit.
      Check what speed you should get:
      Samknows Broadband - Availability checker

If it turns out that you are quite close to the exchange and you should get a better speed then it may be your router. In one case that I know, the version 1 of the sky router would only sync at a Max of 2000kbps. Sky tests would say a Max of 17mbps on the LLU equipment. They in the end send out a new router which doubled the speed to 4-5mbps. He should have got 8mbps but still a good improvement.

So I would say your line is capped, but there may well be a very good reason for why the cap is there, so ask the guy on the phone to justify why they have put the limit on in the first place.

Insectwarfare is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Slade Green
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection Speed 3520 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 55.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.6 db 13.0 db

Well, i obviously got lucky tonight getting through to a gamer who works in the CST department.

He basically told me he'd tweak the line how he'd set it up as a gamer himself, as you can see from my results, the ping is nice and low, the downstream he capped at 3.5 meg, and the upstream is much better.

He did actually tell me that i could get a lot more than 3.5 meg, not an exact figure, but said the cap would keep my line stable, with a better down and upstream with a ping low enough to host and play games with minimal problems. I'll keep an eye on the stats. Hopefully my thread will help some people, but i'd definately agree good wiring can make a difference.

Thanks to Sky User!

IW

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

with an SNR of that you won't get a lot more tbh...still, glad you're sorted...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12