Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connect - Slow Speeds Because I Exceeded Download Limit

This is a discussion on Connect - Slow Speeds Because I Exceeded Download Limit within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am on currently on Connect and until recently was very happy with the speed of the connection. Router connected ...

joepsion2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pencoed
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connect - Slow Speeds Because I Exceeded Download Limit

I am on currently on Connect and until recently was very happy with the speed of the connection. Router connected (and still does) at 8128 kbps and was getting speeds (tested via speedtest.net) in excess of 6.5Mbps. That was until about 10 days ago.
      I have downloaded well over 100GB in the current month (yes I know the package is restricted to a 40GB limit) via newsgroups, Sky Anytime, iPlayer and P2P. I was typically getting newsgroup downloads of 800-850kB/s but then one morning found that this had dropped to between 5-25kB/s. I changed the news server to the SSL supported one and temporarily got back up to my former speeds but then it dropped back down again. Now I am getting speed tests of 250-750kbps. Newsgroups access, P2P, email and even browsing is now painfully slow. The speed stays pretty much the same throughout the day, as I have tested during daytime, peak and after midnight.

I have emailed Sky Broadband support and they have run me through the usual stuff - clear cache, check number of TCP connections, connect direct to master socket, etc. None improve the speed tests significantly. It has currently been escalates to another department.

So my question is has anyone else been through this scenario? Do you think Sky have restricted my download speed? There have been no emails regarding me exceeding download and when I asked if I had been deliberately capped they did ignored the question. My next billing period starts on the 28th - is my speed likely to return to the previous levels?

My line stats are as follows:
      Connection Speed 8,128kbps
      Line Attenuation 22.0db
      Noise Margin 11.9db

Still using the V1 router/old firmware if that is relevant.

Thanks,
      Joe

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Connect - Slow Speeds Because I Exceeded Download Limit

I may be wrong but I don't think you are capped or even that Sky can cap you on Connect. I don't think they have any direct control over what is really a BT service. What may be happening is that you are being throttled. It is fairly well known that P2P, torrents etc, are throttled by many ISPs. Sky do not throttle their LLU service but it is possible they have requested BT to throttle Connect, or that BT are doing it off their own bat.

It is also quite possible that you are not being throttled and the slow speeds are down to something completely different. Maybe the CST will discover the cause.

I doubt if any other ISP would allow a user to exceed their limit by 150%, but Sky do not seem to bother. It is beginning to look like they don't have a method of measuring usage, but BT certainly will. I don't know if BT bill Sky by individual account or in bulk, if it is the latter it would account for no action being taken.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

ningall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Corsham
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

im having a similar issue but i barely hit 20gb downloads a month

do me a favour in windows xp go to start>run>cmd

and run pathping BBC - Homepage

if your problem is the same as mine at one or more of you hops you will lose a lot of pacets mine currently dies at

5acf002a.bb.sky.com [90.207.238.42]

which provides me with 100% packet loss my speed has gone from 5mb solid to 100-200 kbs on speedtest.net

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Have you tried using the kana/ conract us E-form on sky.com help center to try and alert someone at sky about that traceroute ???