Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My router has died :( How to set up another router??

This is a discussion on My router has died :( How to set up another router?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I have Sky Broadband and the white Netgear router. I came home on Friday and had no internet. It ...

slayer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: blackfriar
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My router has died :( How to set up another router??

Hi

I have Sky Broadband and the white Netgear router.

I came home on Friday and had no internet. It could not find the wireless. The router looks Ok except amber flashing light on the

"tick".

I turned off the router for abit and back on and now the tick just flash on and off amber and the power light goes off and on green

- nothing else lit up.

I called Sky and they are sending me another router but wont get till about Friday.

I have an old router from my previous ISP (a D-Link 524). I tried to use this to connect but didnt work. I can see the wireless when

I plug it in but when try and get WAN - connect to the DHCP - it tries and tries but no joy.

Any ideas?? Can it be used this old router?? Do I need to change anything??

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: My router has died :( How to set up another router??

I think I would try resetting the router. Go to netgear.com and see their user forum -- any post by a Moderator called jmizoguchi will contain links to tips on resetting.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks

I did reset it but still no joy. DO I need to make any changes to a setup of the other router?? I did some googling and someone mentioned power-surge could have been the problem???

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Look for tutorials on this site on extracting Sky user name/password (if poss) from Sky router.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      Look for tutorials on this site on extracting Sky user name/password (if poss) from Sky router.
      So in the control panel for the D link router I will need to add in the username and password somewhere??

Are you saying that the username and password is "hard coded" into the sky router somewhere???

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Yes, but you can get them by using the information printed on the base of your router and James's password generator here.

It sounds like your original router is in recovery mode. You should be able to repair it by following the instructions here, and use the firmware from one of these links:

You can get the Firmware from the following link:

ftp://77.240.11.50/

(After clicking the link, then right click and save as, the file called DG834GT-1SKUKS_V1.03.87.img)

As a zipped image:

http://77.240.11.49/DG834GT-1SKUKS_V1.03.87.zip

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Yep router firware upgrade has failed, try the recovery utility on the Sky CD if you have it or download it from netgear.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Yep router firware upgrade has failed, try the recovery utility on the Sky CD if you have it or download it from netgear.
      thanks for that - i just googled recovery utility and found a page here on skyuser.co.uk about how to use it and links to the firmwares.

will give it a go tonight and see if can get it running and also try and get my old d-link router to connect (will be a useful backup!!)

why would it go into recovery mode??

beberex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Great Oakley
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hello mate. I had just the same problem 2 weeks ago and eventually had to call the Sky helpdesk for a cure. (First time ever in 18 months). You probably won`t be able to recover the Netgear router using the firmware upgrade mentioned here as you will find that your pc won`t connect to the router using 192.168.0.1 or anything else for that matter. It seems that this particular version of the router is for sky only , not like the same model off the shelf as it were. So in the final analysis if you can`t connect to it then you are stuffed. The guy at sky (after verifying my local exchange) told me that they had ran an upgrade for the firmware that weekend and that some of the routers involved had not recovered and the only possible cure was a replacement router which amazingly arrived the next day?? I know this doesn`t answer your initial question about using a different adsl modem but it might at least offer some explanation as to what might have occured. I believe you can use a different modem but it`s not for the faint hearted to get working properly. Try giving them a call , if you havn`t already - I know they try to sell you anything from a kitchen sink to a Chinese takeaway but you never know.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beberex View Post
      Hello mate. I had just the same problem 2 weeks ago and eventually had to call the Sky helpdesk for a cure. (First time ever in 18 months). You probably won`t be able to recover the Netgear router using the firmware upgrade mentioned here as you will find that your pc won`t connect to the router using 192.168.0.1 or anything else for that matter. It seems that this particular version of the router is for sky only , not like the same model off the shelf as it were. So in the final analysis if you can`t connect to it then you are stuffed. The guy at sky (after verifying my local exchange) told me that they had ran an upgrade for the firmware that weekend and that some of the routers involved had not recovered and the only possible cure was a replacement router which amazingly arrived the next day?? I know this doesn`t answer your initial question about using a different adsl modem but it might at least offer some explanation as to what might have occured. I believe you can use a different modem but it`s not for the faint hearted to get working properly. Try giving them a call , if you havn`t already - I know they try to sell you anything from a kitchen sink to a Chinese takeaway but you never know.
      thanks for your reply

i called them pretty much straight away after some tests myself with some resetting and "rebooting"

she said it would take 5 working days so thats friday. did they say it would take you 5 days to get new router?? i am hoping its the white netgear router and not the black one i have seen pics of - doesnt look as nice.

will have a play with my d-link router again tonight and see if i can get it online (but if i cant get the recovery util working then no chance since wont be able to get the username and password hard-coded into the netgear router)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast