Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My router has died :( How to set up another router??

This is a discussion on My router has died :( How to set up another router?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I need to enter the username and password dont I!?!?! Yes you have to do that, making sure it is ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: My router has died :( How to set up another router??

I need to enter the username and password dont I!?!?!
      Yes you have to do that, making sure it is exactly correct! You may also have to put in a few more entries like -
      Mode.........G.DMT or Auto
      VPI............0
      VCI...........38
      MTU..........1500
      MRU..........1492
      Tick..........NAT & Firewall
      Select...... PPPoA (if you get the option)

This how I have a Dlink G604 configured for Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      slayer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: blackfriar
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I tried connecting the other night on the DI-524 router with no luck

selected PPPoE and entered the sky username and password

clicked on Status and under WAN and the Connection says PPPoE Disconected and wont connect

Similar things happen if i try different connection types like dynamic ip addresss & static ip address or even Other (PPTP)

Does it "have" to be PPPoA??? Firmware is old - from 2005. If upgrade will it have PPPoA???

Is PPPoA is "new" thing.

Thanks

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I think there's some confusion about the equipment you have.

The routers which Sky supply are actually combined ADSL modem-routers. The DI-524 device you have is a router with no modem facility. You would normally use a device like the DI-524 if your ISP or cable provider supplied you with an ADSL modem (with no router facility).

So you see that the WAN port on your DI-524 corresponds to a "port" which is entirely internal within the Sky router, so there's nothing you can actually plug it into, unless you also have an ADSL modem.

Now as for the PPPoA thing, PPPoA stands for point-to-point protocol over ATM, PPPoE stands for point-to-point protocol over Ethernet. Traditionally, ADSL providers have used PPPoA because the onward connection from the local telephone exchange to the Internet was over an ATM network (ATM is most commonly used for carrying telephone voice services). Cable providers have traditionally used PPPoE because they don't use ATM networking.

I've noticed however that on BT ADSL connections (as used by Sky Broadband Connect customers) will actually convert from PPPoE to ATM, so it's possible to specify PPPoE and it would still work, although it would be less efficient. Sky's exchange equipment is not set up to do a conversion like that, so you have to use PPPoA.

But your biggest problem is that you're trying to use the wrong type of kit.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      I think there's some confusion about the equipment you have.

Admin note:There is no real need for the whole quote when replying, the name and first line will do when original post is right above
      Oh yeah. Thanks for that. I was not thinking. Now that you mention it I now realise that the Dlink is just a router. Opps!!
      Last edited by richone54; 24-04-08 at 11:25 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Didn't notice that it was a DI and not a DSL. I wondered why the setup page was so different from my G604T, although a quick look at the D-link site reveals
      Note
      DSL-xxxx Products include a built in ADSL modem - no other modem is required.
      DI-xxxx Products do not include an ADSL modem and are intended for use with Cable Modems. However, a DSL-300T (ADSL Ethernet Modem) can be use with DI-xxx products to enable them for use on ADSL networks.
      It seems it will not even work as an extension to the Sky router. Looks like a candidate for eBay.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am back online!!!
      I should have got the router from Sky today but no sign of it.
      However it just been out to buy a router from Maplin. Got the same router I had (Netgear D834G) - it was on sale
      The router is slightly different than the one I had - i think its slightly smaller (maybe??) and the lights on the front are arranged abit different.

Another thing someone could help me with (although maybe I should post this as another thread??)

On the control panel in the security option there are several option. I know in the past it was set as WPA but there are now a few different options:

WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)
      WPA2-PSK(Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 with Pre-Shared Key)
      WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK

Whats the difference??

I have just chosen "WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK" and it works fine. Just wondered whats the difference

Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123