Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Another VPN Problem

This is a discussion on Another VPN Problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hiya I am new here! I have trawled through all the VPN questions posted so far, and I am just ...

noo
      noo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Another VPN Problem

Hiya I am new here! I have trawled through all the VPN questions posted so far, and I am just seekign confirmation befor eI kick off..

I have received last week the Sagem 2400 Router. My internet works for my home PC so all set up fine (wireless and wired working ok).

I have this weekend bought my work laptop home (as usual!) but I cannot connect through my VPN. Large bluechip org, so called IT and they advised me to set the router to open for a couple of specific ports, which I have done.

Also I then tried adding my organisations IP address to the 'allowed' fields. I even tried the DMZ thing suggested in another thread.

It still will not connect. It works on dial up so I know the remote host is working, but clearly the Sagem router is still not happy with VPN.

So, is my only option to cancel Sky BB? And what is my best approach, just call up tomorrow and demand to cancel and hope they offer me a different modem (Netgear) or do I need to plant that suggestion myself then threaten to cancel?

Final Q - Are the more helpful BB Support teams only there weekdays, cos if so I am stuffed because I work long hours and am only free to call on weekends really.

Thanks in advance, and if anyone has managed to get 'Contivity VPN Client' from 'Equant IPsec VPN Client' working on the Sagem, please tell me how!

cheers :-)

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Another VPN Problem

I take it you know that if mention VPN and work to tier 1 they will point out residential usage policy? Also if you kick off there is no way they can promise to send you out a specific type of router as a logistics group handles the despatch and you may just get whatever router they have to hand. Have you tried contacting Sagem as it's not Sky tech supports role to support port forwarding or general tweaking of the router?

noo
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Paul, I had picked up something about that in other threads, but I am within my 8 day cooling off period right now, so I figure I can cancel for any reason I like. Also (more pertinently) my old ISP had no problem with it, and from what I have read it is only the Sagem hardwear which has this problem.

Picking up work emails whilst at home IS personal use in this day and age - we are not talkign major useage here! The only reason it is through a VPN is because it is a big blue chip firm - my hubby can pick his work emails through a webmail setup from anywhere, but I have to use a works lappie and VPN to get hold of mine.

Either way, if Tier 1 have no idea what a VPN is (they had no idea what a TCP port was yesterday) how do I get to speak to Tier 2/3 or whatever they have changed their name to now?

Thanks

iKennett is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

My works VPN does seem to work, usually.

Have you tried wired and wireless?

I've had some drop outs and required a restart (Laptop) before it would connect again, but it does hold out most of the time.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noo View Post

Either way, if Tier 1 have no idea what a VPN is (they had no idea what a TCP port was yesterday) how do I get to speak to Tier 2/3 or whatever they have changed their name to now?

Thanks
      You don't, Tier 1 know what VPN is and should know what a TCP port is but they are not there to support that side of things to the level you want them to. CST are not expected to support VPN either, if you want this working you either contact sagem or take your option to leave. If you take the option to leave then cancellations may be able to action a netgear router for you but to be honest there is no guarantee as I said before.

noo
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok cheers Paul.

The lack of instruction manual clearly makes the Sagem side I bit hard to pursue ;-) Sagem do not even list on their website that they make the Sky Router, and as I have gathered on here I am not allowed just to use an alternative one without breaching my T&C, so I guess that gives me no choice...oh well.

If something looks to cheap, there is usually a reason for it :-))

Oh, and as a point of interest I do not want Sky BB helpdesk to 'support' my VPN. Sky is the first and only time I have had to contact a so called 'technical support' and the ONLY reason I had to call them is because the hardwear used is protected/blocked from access so a home user cannot easily troubleshoot, and I cannot use my own router and troubleshoot it myself as that breaches the T&C.

If Sky hardwear does not perform (and I mean hardwear they negotiate a contract with so the Sagem problem is in effect Sky's problem if they insist on hard programming the user details and refuse for you to use any other equipment) then the customer has no choice but to leave, or breach the T&C. I do not breach contracts.