Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky router disconnecting, PS3 DNS error?

This is a discussion on Sky router disconnecting, PS3 DNS error? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place or this has already been posted but i have a Playstation ...

Snow_Spartan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky router disconnecting, PS3 DNS error?

Hi,

sorry if this is in the wrong place or this has already been posted but i have a Playstation 3 and Sky broadband wireless i have had no trouble until last week when i'd just get signed out of MSN and the PS3 when i try to sign back in on the PS3 it says "An error occurred during communication with the server. This is a DNS error. (80710102)" and MSN signs me out saying "We were unable to sign you into Windows Live Messenger at this time. Please try again later Error Code: 80072ee7."

i notice on my router i have a little yellow light on which i dont think is there usually lol i have tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and it sometimes works for maybe a couple of hours but today it barely stays on for 10 mins it says my signal strength is Excellent so i dunno what the problem is

any idea on how to fix this? it's really starting to annoy me i'm not very computer smart i'm only 17 so you might have to explain things more simple for me lol sorry

thanks

Matt

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky router disconnecting, PS3 DNS error?

notice on my router i have a little yellow light on
      Where is this light? Yellow lights usually mean either a connection problem or in the case of port lights, the adapter plugged in is only rated at 10 mbps. The latter is nothing to worry about unless you have a connection speed of over 9000kbps. If it is not a port light, then something is causing a disconnection.

Post your stats so others can have a look and see if they can help. If you have the 834 and have not updated the firmware you should do this as soon as possible.

I can't tell you exactly how to do it as I don't have a PS3, but putting OpenDNS servers into it instead of the default Sky ones may help. I would think you would have to use 'expert mode' or such like, instead of the 'easy' mode. The servers to use are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. It would also probably be better if you also give it a static address, something like 192.168.0.254 this will keep it well clear of other addresses and avoid conflicts.

To be honest, if you feel up to it, it may pay you to install James custom firmware. This would allow you to put the open servers direct into the router, so that all PCs connected to it would use the open servers. If you are the least bit apprehensive about this don't try it. You will find it here-
      Community Updates for the DG834GT

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

K1LLER HORNET is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

thank you Isitme,

thanks to your post & those DNS figures, i was able to get my PS3 back online

bookmarked this page for future reference - v.helpful

mrducky1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Thanks

Talking Re: Sky router disconnecting, PS3 DNS error?

Thank you very much for this response, it has been most helpful, i have been having this problem for weeks, i entered the numbers as you have listed them and my ps3 was up and running in no time. Thanks.

__V__ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Thank you very much for this, was having ps3 troubles, but thoese numbers seemed to have made it work

Casperuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stepney Green (CLSTE)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

according to Sony, a guy i spoke to yesterday said it was going on for 2 weeks. must be packet shaping.

The_Ree is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

this has been driving me mad... This page has now been bookmarked.
      I'm not sure if syncing my new psp to the PS3 caused the problems but that's when this horrible DNS error stuff started. At first it was erratic, would connect sometimes and then not other times. I have since unregistered my PSP and followed the steps above and it works like a charm. Maybe someone else could shed light on the PSP theory.

Thanks again...

LinkBacks (?)