Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Terrible downstream

This is a discussion on Terrible downstream within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Connect is the only package on Sky which is subject to 'throttling', it could be that this is effecting your ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Terrible downstream

Connect is the only package on Sky which is subject to 'throttling', it could be that this is effecting your downloads. However with your connection speed of 6000+ you should be getting a download test speed of around 5000, double what you are getting. Is this from a wired connection? If so, try a wired connection speed test and see what you get there.

If you are already wired, I can only repeat what I have said, try to get the BT tester to run. This does more than just show your speed, it shows the speed your line is profiled at, which may be the cause of your slow connection. If you persevere you will get it to complete and the results may be useful when making a complaint to Sky. Unfortunately, Sky tech are not trained, or don't appear to be trained in handling ADSLMax problems.

Whether you are sure your set up is correct or not, I would still advise running TCPOptimiser.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      ningall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Corsham
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok well thanks for the info

i am on a wired connection

will try and persevere with speedtest

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok after the problem resolving its self from sunday till yesterday

something else has cropped up as in my connection is cutting out in the evenings

my speedtest results are the same as during the day but path ping takes ages to ping the bbc website and gives back loads of packet loss

Thanks

It looks like you have an intermittent fault on your phone line. These are the worst kind as they are difficult to trace. It could even be a lorry passing over a manhole cover which vibrates a joint on the line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yeah my loss is back pathping is also show packet loss as well what can i do as BT says this is completely a sky problem

Thanks

I don't think Sky have any control over Connect. They buy the service from BT who are responsible for maintaining it, I don't think Sky could do anything even if they wanted to. In saying that, any complaints must be made to Sky, only they can contact BT to get anything fixed. You can only phone them and hope you get someone who knows the least thing about Connect. A health check on your line would be a good start, but by what I have read on the forum, they are more likely to send you another router, rather than tell BT to check the line.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok they are sending me another router but since i got through on Friday loss has been ok and my connection is back to its usual dl speeds

I personally think its a hop problem at one of the exchange points as one of the sky.bb.com points gives me 100% on certain days

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

there is one point on a trace route which is designed to have loss so it's prob just that...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12