Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

When is MAX not MAX

This is a discussion on When is MAX not MAX within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Me again, hauled my modem back into the PC room the stats seem pretty much the same looking at them ...

NathanA is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crowborough
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: When is MAX not MAX

Me again, hauled my modem back into the PC room the stats seem pretty much the same looking at them now I plugged back in, here they are whci is teh same pretty much from the master socket.....

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 0:13:00

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 18 12 0 0 0 0:00:17
      LAN 6773 4862 0 538 269 0:13:00
      WLAN 6915 4793 0 271 0 0:12:38
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8096 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.0 db 19.0 db
      Noise Margin 10.6 db 14.0 db

Poll Interval: (secs)

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NathanA View Post
      it raised the noise margin from 8.6dB to 10.9dB, the attentuation stayed the same (32dB) as I would have expected.
      if you have a look at the OP's stats, he has a higher attenuation and a higher moise margin, which shows a faily good line (noise free), yours should be better as your attenuation is lower you should also have the higher noise margin. even from your test socket you only increased a couple of db.

you should see an increase if you were moved to ADSL2+ but you may have connection problems ?

did you use the socket behind the face faceplate ? and when you had the faceplate off, could you check your extentions have no dial tone.

the noise problem could be outside of your control as your telephone line may run near a power station or some such that could make your line conditions worse than someone else with the same attenuation. i think its luck of the draw sometimes

If you were to ask sky to move you from GDMT to ADSL2+, you may want to look into the cabling and faceplate forum first and see what you can do to improve your internal wiring (i'm thinking ADSLnation face plate)

NathanA is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crowborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your help, the wiring in my house is not great I know, but I did test it from inside the the master socket, so all other phones would have been dead / disconnected.

I will check out the faceplate forum as you suggest, to be honest I am happy enough with 8mB download, as I am not a great downloader I may switch to the MID package.

I guess a noise margin of 14+ is good so I will see if I can raise it with the faceplate?

Great response and valued comments.

Thanks

No probs,

as to the faceplate, there has been some on here who have still had dial tones from there extentions when the faceplate is removed and this show some shoddy wiring (wired form the wrong part of the master socket) i'm not saying this is your problem but would be worth checking.

in any case the faceplate is a good idear.

Edit: also others may see the post have different idears to me, so dont give up just yet

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The increase in NR when you are connected to the Test socket shows that you have a wiring problem. Some of this may be overcome by removing the ring wire from your master socket. It is the wire connected to terminal 3 behind the faceplate and is not required when you use filters on all the equipment connected to the phone line.

An NR of 14dbs should give you enough overhead to carry a bit better than 2000kbps more so it is worthwhile trying to overcome the problem. Phone Sky and ask them to put you on ADSL2+. It is a waste of time trying to get tier 1 to do this, they probably wont even know what you are talking about. Tell them your connection is slow and you would like to get put through to CST so they can fix it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      An NR of 14dbs
      Isitme, it was the original OP who had the 14db NM, Nathan had approx 10db from his test socket

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

sky seem to put most people on g.dmt maybe its to see if you compalin if not they will leave you as is maybe it costs less for this connection, i was on 8mb when first connected was told Bt advised them my line would not handle much over 2.5mb, when i did eventually get onto 16mb through a sky employee who uses this forum i syncd at 16379kbps no problem and since stopped using wireless now get speed around 10-11 mb

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I guess a noise margin of 14+ is good so I will see if I can raise it with the faceplate?
      This confused me, that is the problem with hijacking, it makes threads so much more difficult to follow.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

^^ yep, some of fault lies with me, i should have said earlier in the post about starting a new thread

(i'm not going to say anything tho, as i got me first thank you in the post )

elcottero is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01290
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I got on to Sky CS via email and they increased my line to 9212kbps downstream.
      Here is the stats from my router now.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 5903 8657 0 0 0 0:25:17
      LAN 18974 14059 0 0 257 0:29:21
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 0:28:59
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9212 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 37.0 db 17.4 db
      Noise Margin 8.3 db 14.0 db

As you can see connection speed is 9212kbps. But when I run a speed test I get a much faster downstream speed..this is confusing me..how can the speedtest give a result which is faster than the connection is set at?

Here is the speed test result.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast