Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

56k speeds during the day?

This is a discussion on 56k speeds during the day? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, been with Sky Mid broadband for about 6 - 8 months now and have never had a problem. However ...

jam3s2k is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

56k speeds during the day?

Hi, been with Sky Mid broadband for about 6 - 8 months now and have never had a problem. However since the beginning of this week I have been experiencing REALLY weird speed issues which i cannot figure out how to fix.

Basically I usually get around 700-800 KB/s as my download speed, however now im getting a steady 10-20 KB/s during the day. At about 4-5am it goes backup to max speed then during the day it goes back to like 56k speeds.

I have spoken to Sky and they tell me im not capped so nothing on their end should be causing these problems.

Any ideas what I can do to look to rectify this issues as its now the 5'th day and this is starting to get quite .

I didnt check my router statistics before as ive never had any other problems so I cant tell you what my statistic information was before this problem started occurring, however here are my current stats.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7616 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 10.0 db 8.0 db
      Noise Margin 15.3 db 22.0 db

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: 56k speeds during the day?

looks like it could be contention / throttling (you are on connect which is a rebranded BT product)

it could also be a problem with your line, with an attenuation of 10db, i would have expected you to be connected at 8096 not 7616, what happens when you re-boot the router ?

i am also a bit , contention and throttling would normally be done in the evening when there are more people on the line ?

and lastly (i know i've gone on a bit, but keep with me) are you wireless ?

Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thats a funny one. my best guess would be throttling, as i have a pretty bad contention problem on my line and it doesnt go that slow, and doesnt magically poof back up to speed, it slowly slows down, then slowly back up.

are you sure you dont have something timed going on in the house like heating that may be messing with it?

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Upgrade the firmware in your router and let us know how you get on. I have seen this "time of day" issue with a friend of mines, it was inexplicable, day time was fine, 4pm on the nail speed would drop to two-digits! Put on the new firmware and they're rock solid full-speed. Not saying this will work for you, but your problem sounds so very similar, if not reversed
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Go to BT Speedtest and run a speed test. You will have to enter your phone number then your ADSL username. This will do an official BT speed test and show your present profile. Your ADSL username is <the MAC number of your router, no colons, followed by> @skydsl You can also obtain this from the router by using one of the utilities available on the forum.

You should be able to use this report when phone Sky, but it will depend on who takes your call as Sky TS do not seem to be trained for Connect customers. This tester is always busy, it could take several attempts to get on.

Copy and paste your result back to the forum.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.