Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Have I been capped?

This is a discussion on Have I been capped? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by richone54 see the first link in my sig for what the test socket looks like, and if ...

Michaelro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Have I been capped?

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      see the first link in my sig for what the test socket looks like, and if you could post some stats (either from the test socket or normal socket) we can at least confirm if you are capped
      Thanks for that - That socket is the one I am connected to.

I'll remove the face plate tonight and plug directly into the test socket.

Not sure how it will work as I mentioned previously the sky box is wired into the back of this socket

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Not sure how it will work as I mentioned previously the sky box is wired into the back of this socket
      This may be bad in itself as it could mean the Sky box is not filtered, which it should be. If this is the case I am surprised you have not had problems before now, unless you have a filter on the other end of the extension, before it goes into the box. Either way, the extension should be connected to the faceplate, not the socket itself, so be careful you do not dislodge the wires when you remove it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This may be bad in itself as it could mean the Sky box is not filtered, which it should be. If this is the case I am surprised you have not had problems before now, unless you have a filter on the other end of the extension, before it goes into the box. Either way, the extension should be connected to the faceplate, not the socket itself, so be careful you do not dislodge the wires when you remove it.
      I do have problems - If the phone socket is connected to the back of the sky box I have interference on the phone line and broadband doesn't work.

So usually I have it disconnected unless I want to order a film, or have switched off the power as it won't work without the phone line connected

Thanks

I thought so. The best thing to do would be to convert the digi-box end to a plug in box and use a standard modem cable to connect to the Digibox through a filter. You can pick these up cheaply at B&Q. Alternatively, you can use a simply plug in extension and take the sky fitted one out of the phone socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      see the first link in my sig for what the test socket looks like, and if you could post some stats (either from the test socket or normal socket) we can at least confirm if you are capped
      Right, I've just plugged into the test socket and I'm getting

System Up Time 00:08:37
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 3739 3771 0 2059 7266 00:07:45
      LAN 10M/100M 234 0 0 79 0 00:08:34
      WLAN 11M/54M 4526 4431 0 7409 2148 00:08:26

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3136 kbps 288 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47.0 db 30.0 db
      Noise Margin 12.9 db 13.0 db

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

that's capped...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

What are your stats like plugged into the Master socket with a filter only? With the Sky box and your plug in extension disconnected, they should be very similar to the Test socket. If the Sky box is connected to the back of the faceplate, pull the wires off before you check. If the Sky box wires are screwed to A & B terminals in the box, you will have to remove them from there.

If the stats are much the same, you should phone Sky and ask them to lift the cap on your line. Just remember, when you put everything back, the ADSL filter must be the first thing plugged into the socket and your extension plugged into it.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12