Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT engineer has got me back working properly :)

This is a discussion on BT engineer has got me back working properly :) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well after a horrid few weeks of my broadband dropping out and syncing at 416k from 1856k it has eventually ...

tobys550 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

BT engineer has got me back working properly :)

Well after a horrid few weeks of my broadband dropping out and syncing at 416k from 1856k it has eventually been fixed. Problem started a few weeks back in all the wind when cable to house broke. Engineer came out and replaced it but wired next doors house and our house back to front!! so I had no broadband. A few days later instead of guy comming back to our house to fix the problem he got lazy and swapped wires over further up the exchange somewhere. When I did get the connection back it was rubbish....syncing at 416k down 128k up etc...... rebooting, phone ringing would knocked out connection etc. After a few good hours getting through to sky and explaining to an adviser in my finest English what the problem was someone there actually phoned me back a few days later asking me what the problem was. After I explained my connection had been fine for 2 1/2 years speed wise he actually offered to get a BT guy out.
      I was actually plesantly suprised this morning when at 8 o'clock BT guy turned up. If I can give any advice to anyone else when BT do come that is that be nice.... This guy was prob in his late 50's and to be honest he could'nt have been more helpful!!! he even drove four or so miles back and forth to stick me back on the original cables from the exchange that use to serve my house but was now connecting to next door lol. After 2 1/2 hours job was done, I even slipped him a fiver for a pint!!! I guess its luck with who you get engineer wise, some cant be bothered and fob you off others try and do anything to help.

BT engineer has got me back working properly :)-stats.jpg

Just one thing i'd like to know now though, see my stats above. When I phoned sky they capped it to 2mb for me, my downstream is fine again now but before all the problems my upstream was 768k but now it is 416k......is this becuase the limit for a 2mb connection is 416k? or do I need to get them to take the cap off and let my connection find its own way and hopefully get a 768k downstream again?

Thanks for listening and replying

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: BT engineer has got me back working properly :)

It sounds like you had a decent engineer turn up, of the three they came out to me it was the last one, a young lad that got straight to the problem. The first two hadn't got a clue where to even start probably because they were sub-contractors and didn't actually work for BT.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Tobys.
      Glad you got a nice guy. If you contact Sky do it by phone, as I'm sure you know there are just too many things that can go wrong if you e-mail with this sort of request. You will have to get past teir 1, so have your script ready

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unless you do a lot of uploading and really need the higher speed, it may be in your interests to leave well alone. Involving Sky again could end up with them making a mess of your connection and I dare say you have been messed around enough recently, without risking another cockup.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

tobys550 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Unless you do a lot of uploading and really need the higher speed, it may be in your interests to leave well alone. Involving Sky again could end up with them making a mess of your connection and I dare say you have been messed around enough recently, without risking another cockup.

You know you may be right about messing around with it again. Although when I spoke to sky last week and they booked an engineer they said they would phone me back 24hrs or 48hrs after engineer has been to see if everything is alright!!! we shall see.....I might mention it to him/her see what they say......or I might just leave it.

allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tobys550 View Post
      This guy was prob in his late 50's and to be honest he could'nt have been more helpful!!! he even drove four or so miles back and forth to stick me back on the original cables from the exchange that use to serve my house but was now connecting to next door
      There are a good many people in their late fifties who are pleasant I find. They grew up before the Mrs T effect!.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I wish I was in my late fifties, or any fifties for that matter Still I've been there done it and got the tee shirt.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Let me have the name of that guy in his late fifties, I'll report him to the union, letting the side down like that with being all helpful and stuff!